Mt Ive Station

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 19:15
ThreadID: 104365 Views:2221 Replies:9 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I am after your personal comments from those that have stayed at Mt Ive Station and driven on their private station tracks. We are not looking at their Cabin accommodation, but just their camping areas, and what is on offer.

I have been to the Gawler Ranges before, but never stayed at Mt Ive.

I have heard mixed reports, some good, some not so good.

So if you have something to say, I would like to hear what you have to say.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 19:31

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 19:31
Hi Stephen, we stayed there this time last year - $20/ double no power, and had 2 nights. You can use the rec room and camp kitchen and meet interesting people. Only a couple of campers and same in the cabins so it was nice and quiet. There is a donkey to heat water for showers but it was running all the time so abundant hot water.
We drove on their station tracks to the shore of Lake Gairdner.An easy day and drive. And then up steep Mount Ive to see the sunset. See the pix . I suppose after typing this up I am thinking - who could complain about the place? 10/10 as far as we are concerned........ W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518308

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 19:35

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 19:35
Oh and there's a building you might recognise!!!..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798103

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:13

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:13
Thanks Warrie

Do they still charge the fee to use their tracks.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798108

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 19:57

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 19:57
Hi Stephen,
We have stayed there several times and have enjoyed their station tracks each one is a little different we enjoyed the trip and views from Mount Scott. A trip to lake Gairdner is a must with a couple of side trips on the way. I'm sure you will enjoy your time there and if it is like the rest of the country the wild flowers should be stunning right now. You would need at least a couple of days there to see the main attractions and three or four days would be better.
What out for the Submarine.

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 518310

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:16

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:16
Hi Graham

Thanks for the reply.

I will not be doing it this year but into trip planning for next year. The Gawler Ranges is alway a great place to visit.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798109

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:31

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:31
Hey Stephen, been there a couple of times and also for the land speed records run by the DLRA. The facilities are all good and they have set up two Marlinga huts into one big unit for kitchen, rec room and accommodation. Recommend you book one of their rooms. We spent a great night there last time with a heap of backpackers and the cop from Wudina and another local from there. Big sore head the next day but I recall a funny night was had. I reckon there's a prospect of cutting across from there below Mt XXXX station to the DF and then up the DF and across to Googs from Childara rocks. Might be worth a look on Google or a confirmatory chat with your mate in Clare? Cheers Leigh
AnswerID: 518316

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:44

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:44
Ha Ha Leigh

How did you know it was regarding our next trip..........

I hope you are going to be a good boy.....lol

Did you do the Station Tracks?

Take Care..

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798111

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:35

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:35
I was there that night Stephen and I swear the sore head had nothing to do with me!!!

I was convinced there was a violent thief camped there as when I woke in the morning I had a terrible headache and all my beer was gone!!!

That Leigh is a terribly bad influence on an impressionable young fella like myself!!!

( by the way a great spot, I would have no hesitation in going back there)

Cheers,

Graham

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798125

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:40

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:40
Hi Graham

Sounds great. Has Leigh spoken to you about next year?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798126

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 18:31

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 18:31
He did mention something, I am keen to do Cape York or the Kimberley's.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798193

Reply By: setsujoku - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:31

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:31
We visited in April this year, and would go back again for sure. The facilities are good, the donkey is always boiling hot, and there is more than enough space.
My only suggestion would be to head as far away from the main building as possible, as the generator was running in the middle of the night for the couple of nights we were there. As you can imagine in such an open space it sounds like it is right next to you!
From memory the camp fees were reasonable. There is fuel available, but at the usual inflated prices due to the remoteness.
There are plenty of fire pits as well, so as long as it's the right time of year you can get one going nice and early. There is also plenty of wood around outside of the station, so no need to worry about not being able to find any, just can't pick it up from within the park that's all.

The private tracks were in good nick. I think we paid $40 (???) to access them. The track up to the top of Mt Ive is well worth it, and whilst it is a slow journey it doesn't take too long, and the views are well worth it.
If you do the private tracks make sure you do the quick side roads on the way to or from the lake, as they are well worth checking out, and it seems that a lot of people don't make the effort.
AnswerID: 518317

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:46

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:46
Hi setsujoku

Thanks for that and the private station tracks sound great.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798112

Follow Up By: setsujoku - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:57

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:57
No worries at all.

If you go out on the private tracks it might pay to check out the couple of geocaches that we placed whilst out there. As yet no one has visited them since we placed them on the trip, so FTF honours are still up for grabs.
They were placed on a couple of the side tracks at the attractions in the hope of getting others to make the quick detour as well.
We told them that we were visiting for the cache that was already there, and were going to place a couple more and they were more than happy for us to do it, and even gave us some stubby holders for our efforts in trying to help bring others out to the station.
FollowupID: 798114

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:01

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:01
$25 for the private track access to the lake with lots of things to see along the way. Hundreds of goats at an old dam. And now you know what the building is - one less surprise..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798141

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:36

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:36
Thanks again Warrie

We will now be going and staying there and doing the station tracks.

Also where can we find your photos from Mt Ive.?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798175

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 05:32

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 05:32
The weird part about this thread Stephen, is that you have never been there. Judging by your previous and interesting posts, you must have passed by Mt Ive dozens of times at least. I didn't think there was a square km of SA that you hadn't visited.

:-)
AnswerID: 518339

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 07:41

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 07:41
Hi Boobook

Very goog comment....lol

Yes it is true that I have never been out on their tracks or stayed at Mt Ive. Like all traveller, you pass many great locations, and for various reason, you do do camp there.

This is one such spot, and looking into saying there, rather than just passing by.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798138

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 08:35

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 08:35
Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) posted:

"Very goog comment....lol"

Hmm don't give up your day job Stephen.
AnswerID: 518347

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 20:49

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 20:49
Hi stephen, looks like the posts have covered most things. There is a Mt Ive website - just Google it. As for more pix, there's already some at Mount Ive. And this will confuse the computer as there is Mt Ive the mountain and Mt Ive the station so I will try and fix that up now.
No need to tell you about rain on those Gawler tracks. We had a lovely dry trip in 2012 from Kingoonya south to the station but in April this year we slithered and slid going across via Yardea, Hilltaba and on to Wirrulla. They really are grand old ranges..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 518389

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 22:11

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 22:11
Hi Warri

Thanks again, and yes i have visited their web site, but thought that they would have more information on their private station tracks.

If it is wet, you will not see me within cooee of the place. Those roads turn to.........at the first sight of rain.

Thanks Again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798210

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 22:49

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 22:49
Hi Stephen
As said above it is a good spot if you like 4wdriving we stayed 3 nights and had a powered site we towed a 21ft caravan down from Glendambo/ Kingoonya then on to Wudinna .
They do charge for the tracks we took on the lot , watch out for the massive wombat holes there mud map say's that are at the end of the track but are in fact they are off to the left just before.
Cheers Cliff ENJOY
AnswerID: 518397

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 06:48

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 06:48
Hi Cliff

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated. I am fully aware of wombats out that way, and have encountered them further north on the Yerda track heading south from Willgena. Like you say, drop into one of them and the front end of your vehicle would be a write off.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798224

Reply By: Triggy - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 19:57

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 19:57
Hi Stephen,
We did Mt Ive and The Gawler ranges 2 years ago. Stayed i night in the Gawler Ranges and drove most of the tracks. A great place to stay and visit. We eneded up staying 2 nights at Mt Ive swagging it part way around 2 station tracks. each track was around 30KM long Homestead to Homestead. Simple but nice tracks to drive. Plenty of roos, goats and emus to see and around the $20 mark a night for the stay which included the track and key to get through to Lake Gairdner which was also a great place to visit. I would definitley do both places again. Actually called through Mt Ive 4 months ago on our return trip from the Finke desert race to get enough juice to get us through to Pt Augusta. Didn't think the diesel cost was too outrageous (can't remember what it was per litre)
AnswerID: 518444

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:20

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:20
Hi Triggy

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It sounds like a few days there will be on the cards.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798307

Sponsored Links