Jayco Expander Outback water tanks

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 19:22
ThreadID: 104366 Views:5549 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Our Jayco Expander outback has twin water tanks but only one ever seems to empty, the other tank remains full. I have looked everywhere for a change over valve but can't find one and Jayco have not responded to my request for help on this. Does anyone know if there is a changeover water valve on these caravans or do I have a blockage somewhere on the second water tank system ?
Old Mal (frustrated !)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:40

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:40
Most Jayco's, mine included, have a change over valve on the off side in front of the front wheel (dual axle) It has to be close to the inlet side of the tank/s so have a look in that area. Bob.
AnswerID: 518319

Reply By: Member - Wayne B - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 21:41

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 21:41
Mines in the same spot
Discovery Outback
AnswerID: 518323

Reply By: ed c1 - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 21:58

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 21:58
yep mine is in the same spot on my sterling...
very hard to see the pointer though as it is all black ,, take a torch and take a good look .when you find it give it a dab of white paint so you can see it... on mine with the pointer pointing up at floor of the van both tanks off,,pointing to rear ,rear tank pointing to front , front tank,,pointing to the ground both tanks on
its best not to travel with both tanks on,, as should one tank get ruptured you only loose water from that tank

travel safe ed
AnswerID: 518325

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:57

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:57
hi
using a white-out pen is the best thing for making white marks and you don't need a tin of paint or a brush
the white-out ink is hard-wearing and long lasting
just make sure you give the pen a good shake before use and wipe the nib after
for black marks use a permanent marker pen
cheers
FollowupID: 798177

Reply By: glids - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:47

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:47
Just a safety/health warning...

If you have had water in one tank for some time, and not used it, refreshed it etc, I would strongly recommend draining that tank and flushing with disinfectant.

There are numerous solutions available for disinfection, including bleach, Miltons and specialty liquids from caravan accessories places - Google 'cleaning water tank on caravan' or similar, or search this site or the caravan forums.

I use normal household bleach (White King etc) which should be 4% hypochlorite solution. I mix 150mL into my 60L tank to give a 100 parts per million (ppm) solution in the tank, and this is mixed through the tank and pipework with my pump and left overnight. 100ppm of chlorine will kill most nasties in your tank and pipework. If you want to use bleach, check the % chlorine (should be 4%), and adjust the amount you use according to the size of your tank - ie 150mL into 60L tank, 200mL into 80L tank etc. You should be able to still 'smell' chlorine in the water the next day when you drain the tank. Flush the tank out 2 or 3 times with clean water before filling for use.

cheers,
glids
AnswerID: 518351

Reply By: Old Mal - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:10

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:10
Thank you all for the advice - problem solved and second tank drained and flushed ready for the "Bridgetown Blues Festival" in November

Old Mal (happy again)
AnswerID: 518377

Sponsored Links