small solar pump set up for 200l fish pond

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:05
ThreadID: 104379 Views:2627 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

We are on the road 10 or more months of the year and have an outdoor fish pond which is well protected etc and we have not had to use a pump for about 8-10 years.

However,we are selling our house next month and moving to 10 acres. My problem is the new house won't be built and competed until May 2014.

This means the fish pond will be put in a temporary place on the land and exposed to more heat and low temperatures.

Many of you must also have fish ponds that you leave unattended for weeks or months at a time when you are away.

What type of system do you use to circulate the water?

The only pumps I can find are those small ones that need the filter cleaned each week or so.

What I want but can't find is a pump without a filter that moves the water around and can be powered by a small solar set up.

Does anyone have that sort of setup, and if so where did you get it?

Moderators please be nice, I think this is still related to the traveling and is a topic for the forum.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Griff61 - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:32

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:32
Creative Pond pumps in Adelaide will have what you want.
You can buy online with them. My first pump was solar and it was great.
www.creativepumps.com.au
Hope this helps you.
AnswerID: 518379

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:46

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:46
Griff

Thanks for the advice, will give them a ring tomorrow.

FollowupID: 798187

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:40

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:40
Related to travel is drawing a fairly long bow!

The solar pumps available on eBay work very well, we have 2 of them,
Jaycar also have them.

Now, I wonder how I can stop our curtains fading while we are travelling?

AnswerID: 518380

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:49

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:49
"Now, I wonder how I can stop our curtains fading while we are travelling?"

Move to a state that doesn't have daylight saving, mate :-)
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 798188

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:50

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:50
Shaker

Be nice it's nearly Christmas. lol

Nah, it's similar to 'what do you do with your other pets'.

As to your curtains,,,,, you put them in the linen cupboard until you get home. lol
FollowupID: 798190

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 09:10

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 09:10
Hey Boo Boo,

If all you need to do is circulate water, the easiest way to do it is with a couple of air stones and a small 12 volt air pump. Both are cheap and reliable. The rising air bubbles will lift dead water from the bottom of the pond up to the surface and provide good aeration as well. And they can't gum up with muck or algae.

If there is a lot of sediment in the pond, sit the air stones on a house brick so that they don't silt up the water. It might be best to put them down one end of the pond so that the fish can move away if they want some quiet water for a rest, which they tend to do in cold weather. If you run a solar setup, running the thing in daylight hours only might be enough.

I used to have a 20,000 litre pond, two metres deep with some very large Koi in it - some of them 85 cm long. If the pump failed, heavy aeration could keep the pond going for days. When we sold the house, the incoming owner demolished the pond. Broke my heart.

Keith

AnswerID: 518412

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:25

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:25
very nice an unique feature - i can see how it broke your heart despite being moved on by you
FollowupID: 798238

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:12

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:12
Keith

You're spot on.

My main concern is the water getting too hot. I will be putting a shade cloth frame over the pond, but I would like to keep the water moving a bit.

I have lilly plants in the pond but they only keep the water cleanish and only provide a little bit of shelter.

Air stones could be the way to go.

FollowupID: 798287

Follow Up By: Member - KeithB - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:52

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:52
BooBoo
The shade cloth will also keep birds out of your pond. They are always a danger when you move a pond to a new location. I think the same goes for dragonfly nymphs. You'll still need enough sun to keep the plants going.
If the pond is is a tank above ground, be sure to shield the western side from the sun.
By the way, that backyard pond next to your signature looks like a nice one.
K
FollowupID: 798297

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:23

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:23
I dont use a pump in my pond its its own ecosystem. If its too clean and tidy it doesnt work properly

its overgrown with lilly plants etc which give shelter to the turtle, it also gives cover for the gambusia fish to safly give birth. these fish eat all the mozzies and in turn provide food for the turtle.
Ive tried introducing frogs and tadpoles but there not as smart as gambusia fish. i used to have goldfish but once the turtle got big enough they suddenly all disapeared
AnswerID: 518420

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:15

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:15
Been there, done that.

I had some nice gold fish and thought a few little yabbies would go well in the pond.

The buggers got bigger and killed the fish. LOL
FollowupID: 798289

Sponsored Links