2-3 Weeks on Fraser Island

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 16:55
ThreadID: 104391 Views:2067 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I am in the middle if planning a family trip to Fraser Island.

I will be going December/January for two/three weeks (still have to decide). Using Prado 120 diesel I just bought (hurray), will be towing dad's Ultimate trailer. Want to spend some time (4-5 nights) at Central Station, then move to Cathedral Beach (probably spend new year there 3-4 nights) then move to Wathumba (2-3 nights) for couple of days and end up at Carree for 2 nights.
I have bought the maps and books, so I know the theory, I now need some real input. I have not been there since 1991. I have now two "kids" 20 and 12. Any suggestions to good itinerary, or spots not to be missed (besides the really obvious ones, I mean some well less known ones that are hidden out there somewhere and less visited)?

And what is the New Year like there? Where would be the best time to spend it (for my 20 year old, and for us as a family).

Oh, I have seen some video of the Indian Head bypass and Ngale rocks, I think I can make it with the Prado and the trailer, can I? Currently have diff locks in the back, planning to get front ones too before I go.

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tonywatto - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:27

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:27
Hi,
You trip sounds great. my only comment is that staying at Central Station at time of year can be very hot and humid with no breeze getting through the trees.
I stayed there a few years ago over New Year and it was very uncomfortable. Friends stayed on the beach and had a lot more comfort.
I have visited nearly every December / January for day trips since and still thinl how uncomfortable Central station would be to stay during summer.

Regards
Tony
AnswerID: 518438

Follow Up By: LoveEmptyRoads - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:02

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:02
Thanks for the info, I will take that into account, and see if I can change that to Eurong or Dilli. The idea was to have a basecamp at Central to explore the southern bit of the Island.
FollowupID: 798305

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 08:26

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 08:26
Hi
I am with Tony on Central Station.
2 weeks will be more than enough.
Wathumba could be a problem with sand flies not much fun.
My personal choice is Waddy point top camping ground and do day trips from there,
they do have a few spots reserved for camper trailers.
And good safe swimming at Waddy point,with that time off year in the heat.

Yes you tube Fraser island /Indian head, lots of good video of people getting stuck.
And don't even try to take the camper past Ngarla rocks, on your own.

I don't think diff locks are the answer on Fraser just tyre pressure is the key.
Start at 18 psi in the Prado,and 15 psi in the camper.
And take a shovel and snatch strap.

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518470

Follow Up By: LoveEmptyRoads - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 16:07

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 16:07
So you think it is too hard to get past Ngarla rocks with off-road camper trailer? I have seen some video of a person doing it with no problem, but then perhaps he might have been an expert.
FollowupID: 798356

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 19:00

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 19:00
Before you drag the camper through, go and drive it with out the camper and see if you think you can do it.
the conditions change all the time on Fraser, but Ngarla rocks has always been challenging. very soft sand in the middle of the track,
last time i was there was a Ford Bronco with a camper hopelessly bogged in the middle off the track he had no idea of the tyre pressures as he had no gauge, some guy in a Nissan snatched him out, after letting the tyres down,then he continued his merry way to Sandy cape.
Plus the beach from Ngarla rocks then was nearly washed away and only just doable at low tide, had to wait for the waves to get, around Browns rocks.
I would have liked too see how he made it back over Ngarla rocks as the run up from the beach on the north side was very steep, as the beach was washed away.

Rob
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 798373

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 08:58

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 08:58
Just remember that you will have the pleasant company of scores of backpackers at that time of year who believe that road rules do not apply on Fraser Island. Also you will have to pre-book campsites which fill to max over the Xmas - New Year timeslot.
AnswerID: 518476

Sponsored Links