New 4wd app anyone using it???

Submitted: Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:41
ThreadID: 104405 Views:2859 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
its called MUD MAP 2
ive just found it and wondering if it shows you the tracks to maralinga (inside the google maps and other prohibited areas that are no longer).
anyone using this can you please check as i would love this app but cant justify spending the money for maps that i have already for free

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id608214085

cheers billy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:59

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:59
Have read of thread 104336. Mightn't answer your question though?

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518485

Follow Up By: utekid2 - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:09

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:09
thanks bob but yeah it doesn't tell me anything about the mud maps
FollowupID: 798341

Follow Up By: Bludge - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:44

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:44
Try Mud Maps directly, you will need to purchase maps of course.

You could also try the HEMA app.

I have HEMA and OziExplorer on my Android Tablet and it works perfectly, in fact better than expected, again the application is free but you purchase the Maps you need from HEMA.
FollowupID: 798343

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 13:01

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 13:01
Yes some people get confused between maps and apps. MudMap is an app (like OziExplorer etc.). What maps you choose to use with the app you have is generally up to you. I don't know if any actual maps come with any of the Mud Map apps but here is a link to a converter that allows you to convert some image formats to the MM format required by MudMap..which may save repurchasing same map in correct format if you already happen to have it.

Map Converter

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 798349

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 16:19

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 16:19
Lots of people on another forum have bought MM and then had to buy MM 2 because upgrades weren't carried over.
I don't know a lot about it but there is a many users very angry and unhappy with MM.
Be careful what you end up purchasing.
FollowupID: 798358

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 17:52

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 17:52
I bought the original Mud Maps App because it said it came complete with 25k topo maps for the whole of Australia. The maps were 25k and they had topo lines but they were basically street maps that were missing many, many off road fire trails that you would have assumed were on any decent 25k map. If I could sell my copy I would. I have Ozi on Android and Memory Map on ipad and Android with Hema maps for both. I can't remember the last time I used Ozi because Memory Map suits me fine. The funny thing is, I didn't like Memory Map when I first got it as a long time Ozi user.
FollowupID: 798367

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:39

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:39
If you use Mudmap you need to carefully read the disclaimer.

The detailed maps are not google, they are based on Open Street Map which is a community contribution map in the same way as Wikipedia is a community contribution encyclopaedia.

Open Street Map has many significant fatal errors in many parts of the country that are remote and less travelled. Great for busy areas. For example it has in the order of 50 or more major errors in one small part of the high country. It is mostly un-surveyed and guess work from people at home on their computer.

OSM has a disclaimer that it should not be used in critical situations right on the front page. Pity Mudmap doesn't repeat that warning up front, though it is hidden in their terms of use.

I would get proper surveyed maps like Hemo, topo 250k, Vicmaps etc, Westprint, etc on Oziexplorer, Memory Map etc if I wanted a reliable map.

To top it off OSM is free unless you use it through Mudmaps.
AnswerID: 518685

Sponsored Links