Noisy Heater/airconditioner

Submitted: Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:50
ThreadID: 104406 Views:7407 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My caravan is fitted with an Ibis, by Air Command reverse cycle heater and airconditioner. The unit is just over a year old. Of late, it has become noisy - sounds like an out of balance fan. The noise starts as the unit gets up to temperature on the heating cycle and stops actually blowing air into the van.
The handbook offers no help so was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and has any tips on a fix.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: K&FT - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 13:33

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 13:33
We have the same aircon in our caravan.

In heating mode the fan will stop when the unit needs to defrost the condenser(outside)

If you have the fan on auto it will go into sleep mode when the temp has stabilised and restart when it needs to heat again.

difficult to tell what the noise is you are hearing just before shut down. could be the compressor just prior to needing to defrost where the head pressure would be very high.

ours is now 3 years old and apart from the noise from the fan it works well.

frank
AnswerID: 518491

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 15:43

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 15:43
Have you tried contacting Air Command direct?

They would be my first port of call before asking the experts, they may even cover it under warranty
AnswerID: 518495

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 15:49

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 15:49
Does it do the same on the cooling cycle? This would indicate if the problem was with the fan.

We have a Dometic not an Ibis, but ours is only really a fan heater on the heat cycle not a reverse cycle, so have never used it for heating, preferring a fan heater at floor level if heating is needed.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518496

Follow Up By: Senna136 - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 07:38

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 07:38
Haven't tried it on the cooling cycle. We live in Victoria so running the aircon at this time of year is highly undesirable:-)
I will do so today though to check it out....
FollowupID: 798404

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 18:17

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 18:17
Yep - the Ibis 'clunks' loudly when engaging and disengaging the compressor. As you say, it makes other odd operatiuonal noises as well at times. Also as you say, any information provided on troubleshooting seems near worthless (the DVD that came with ours might as well be a rimless frizbee). Ours if 5 years old and we recently used it quite a lot while in the Red Centre of Oz. Apart from that annoying noise, ours still works well enough in both hot and cold modes. Don't forget the required initial tightening of the mounting bolts after the first few months of use - the roof seal compresses and could contribute to extra noise as well as the potential for water leaks.
AnswerID: 518505

Reply By: Wilgadene - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 18:23

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 18:23
Hi Senna136, we had a dometic aircon some years ago and after travelling for a few weeks all of a sudden it started making a bad noise and vibration which made me think it was about to rattle to bits. Turns out a mud wasp had decided to make its nest on one of the fan blades inside the housing on the roof. Took a bit of getting it off and out but fixed the problem immediately.
AnswerID: 518506

Reply By: Senna136 - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 07:35

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 07:35
Thanks all
I think the most likely issue is that the unit needs tightening down as I haven't done this since buying the van. I'm going to try that and if no better will call Aircommand
Cheers
Duncan
AnswerID: 518523

Sponsored Links