Aluminium Ute Trays Melbourne & South Gippsland

Submitted: Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 08:20
ThreadID: 104441 Views:3088 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone any suggestions and experience with the quality of different aluminium ute trays. I want to put one on my Hilux dual cab for a slide on camper.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Twinkles - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 08:22

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 08:22
I am looking at the Fleet tray, Cambellfield.
AnswerID: 518619

Reply By: bluefella - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:51

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:51
In my opinion TIP TOP trays are the best in the business, they do freight to your area and can arrange fitting. A bit more $$$$ than others but quality speaks for itself. check out their web site or P/N 1800 35 35 95.
AnswerID: 518629

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:00
Try Marco at Allform Industries in Morwell. Built all my stuff and the boys do a simply fantastic job with aluminium.

ALLFORM INDSTRIES - MORWELL

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518632

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 21:29

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 21:29
Twinkles - Steer away from any that have nylon hinges on the sides. Metal hinges speak quality every time, and hinges wear out first. Also, look for width and depth of the bearers supporting the floor. Aluminium needs a lot of close support in the floor, unlike steel. Another thing I like to see is a built-in step each side, and a solid cab guard bar with good back window protection. A piece of angle doesn't cut it for me, for a cab guard bar.

Putting a slide-on on a short dual cab tray will mean the tray needs to be extra secure at its mounting points - and you need to be aware that the mounting points of the tray will be more heavily stressed than a regular single cab tray, because of its short length. The slide-on will create leverage on the tray mountings.

Test the level of chassis flexing when you have the slide on mounted - you will possibly find the chassis flexing in line with the front of the tray. Many dual cabs with trays that have carried heavy loads suffer from chassis cracking in this area - particularly when a trailer is towed as well. I've seen successful dual-cab traytop modifications that involved some light chassis reinforcement plating in this area.
AnswerID: 518663

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 21:32

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 21:32
Just checked out the Fleet trays website and their ally trays look pretty good to me, just from the pics.
FollowupID: 798574

Sponsored Links