Great Cerntral Highway-GCR-Plenty Highway-Outback Way road conditions

Submitted: Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 15:59
ThreadID: 104451 Views:2358 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.

We're travelling from Perth through to Townsville on the Outback Way commencing the 10th October. Can anyone give me an update on the state of the Great Central Highway (GCR) and the Plenty Highway making up the Outback way.

Thanks
Mike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 16:42

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 16:42
G'day Mike, we towed a dirt road van across both in late May. Conditions ranged from
very good to bloody awful. The bad stuff was corrugations but only made up about
20/30 percent of the distance..but we are talking the best part of 2000 km total distance here. Driving wasn't difficult but pack well & be prepared for corros.
We camped at Tjukurilya (Good Spot) & at Yarla Kutjarra (Bush Camp) on the GCR.
cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 518649

Follow Up By: Mikeofoz - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 17:45

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 17:45
Thanks Baz. I'm still hoping for a more recent evaluation. Thanks for the camping tips.
FollowupID: 798565

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 20:47

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 20:47
Mike
Was on the GCR early August, WA side was a freeway, NT side corrugated but was not the worst I've been on. Long section of back top on Laverton side of Warburton. Don't know about the Plenty as a few years since been on that section, Tobermorey now sells fuel again I've been told. Ring Tjukayirlia road house for WA section of GCR they might be able to help.
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518660

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 20:50

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 20:50
Both spots Old Baz mentioned are good camps.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 798573

Reply By: Member - sparra - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 07:19

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 07:19
g,day mike,i travelled from ayers rock to the turnoff to empress spring on the gcr only 10 days ago,just a few corrugations on a short distance near docker river ,the rest was in very good nick. i continued north up the david carnegie rd from empress spring ,turning left on the gunbarrel to wiluna.
cheers,sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518674

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 08:07

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 08:07
Did both roads last week coming from the west. The Central was a bit rough at the start, then great. Heaps of brilliant free camp sites to pick from. The Plenty was pretty bad. Did pass several Bushtrackers heading to their meeting at Alice Springs. Also spoke to a Spinifex owner who drove it and he had no issues. While the Plenty was bad, no real problems with corrugations, just the general condition, and watch the bull dust holes, there were some deep ones! Kevin
AnswerID: 518676

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:03

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:03
G'day Mike, GCR is mostly in excellent condition, the Laverton grader has recently been through, and will probably be heading back again by the time you come through.
It gets some corros quickly in areas between Laverton and Cosmo, but nothing too bad, then it is really good from there, alot of road work has been done with re sheeting of the gravel.
NG Shire (Warburton to border) is generally good, couple grader driver have recently headed back up there, but not sure where they are at the moment, they could be on side tracks.
The roads are changing constantly, depending on length of time between graders, and amount of traffic, weather etc. We try and keep our website updated as much as possible.

Cheers
Al
AnswerID: 518679

Reply By: Mikeofoz - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 16:28

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 16:28
Thanks to those of you who replied to my post. I appreciate your time in putting your thoughts down and posting them for my info.

Mike.
AnswerID: 518728

Reply By: The Outback Way - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 14:50

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 14:50
Hi Mike- the Qld section between Boulia & Tobermorey is very dry so watch for bull dust... Tobermorey open for fuel , worth going in Bonya Community and Mt Swan, both new tourism spots along the Plenty.
Plenty is also prone to bull dust ... pleased to hear Docker River section OK at the moment deteriorates quickly. WA section usually in good condition. Fires in WA are creating smoke hazards at the moment.
Outback Way Team
AnswerID: 519454

Sponsored Links