Lake Magenta

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 00:20
ThreadID: 104456 Views:2366 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys. New to the forum and am just wondering. I was looking at a hema map of wa planing a bit of a trip and got to lake magenta. I noticed there was a track directly through here (the lake). Is someone able to tell me if this is a track or an error with the hema maps?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Damien P - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 00:22

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 00:22
In WA btw.
AnswerID: 518668

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 06:52

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 06:52
Gday
On Google maps, the road runs to the east side of lake Magenta in a North South direstion.
Enjoy your trip
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518672

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 06:53

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 06:53
Gday
I have made another spelling mistake .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798584

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 15:06

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 15:06
that how I would say it if I was A little quisted
FollowupID: 798600

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 15:29

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 15:29
hi Damian P
that is called the lake magenta rd run on east side of lake magenta

6k's south of Newdegate on the Newdegate /Pingrup rd you turn left onto the magenta rd and it brings you out onto the south coast hwy 41k's east of Jerramungup on rd to ravensthorpe
distance 122km's total-- from Newdegate to south coast hwy
a very good map book for all those country rds is

'streetsmart travellers atlas of western Australia'
covers the whole of w.a state country rds

I have the 9th 2006 edition but i'm sure it is still been printed
they have had a fairly wet yaer through there this year so I would enquire at Newdegate for rd conditions before going
cheers
AnswerID: 518692

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 14:27

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 14:27
Damien - Google Maps is your friend. Pull up Lake Magenta on Google Maps and examine the sateliite version closely. You'll find that Lake Magenta is not really a huge lake as indicated on some maps, and as shown on the "Maps" version of Google Maps - rather, it's a very large, low-lying area of interconnected small salt lakes, saltbush and samphire.

In wet seasons, some of the smaller lakes fill with a modest amount of water, up to around 1.5-1.6M deep. The whole lake area becomes treacherous to drive around.
There are local access roads to farmland that skirt the major lake area - and a number of tracks that lead into some of the larger salt lakes, which the locals often use for ski lakes if there's enough water depth (you only need 1.2M of water to ski in!).

You'll find there's a local road - East Road, (more of a track, actually) that crosses the lower part of Lake Magenta (in an East-West alignment) which meets up with the Lake Magenta Rd on the East side of the Lake.
This local road is just a local access road - and the section across the Lake is likely to be a "seasonal" road only - and likely to be only good for use in Summer.
You could find yourself in serious de-bogging mode, if you attempted to drive across this section in Winter and Spring.

In addition, it's possible that this part of East Road - despite being originally surveyed as a public road - could now be closed and fenced off.
It's not unusual for local farmers to apply for road closure on little-used roads, and when the application is granted, the road reserve becomes part of their farm, and they fence it, or put a gate across the road.

However, the track may stay there and still be used by local farmers. If the road has a gate across it at some point, you can be assured the section has been officially closed and it's now private property.
Before venturing across the Lake, enquire at any farmhouse you find on East Rd as to whether the section of East Rd across the Lake is open to the public - and is it currently crossable in a 4WD.
AnswerID: 518723

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 15:51

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 15:51
Hi

Lake Magenta, west of the point East Road intersects the lake's eastern boundary (see 250K raster) is a Nature Reserve. I doubt the local farmers control access..more likely DPaW (formerly DEC), but I can't confirm this conclusion. I also doubt any section of the road is "private property". Like you I am basing this on information gleaned from maps so no first hand experience.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 798792

Sponsored Links