Lexus LX470 spot lights

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 15:23
ThreadID: 104465 Views:2106 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone.
I'm new to ExporOz and have a question that someone might be able to shed some light on. I have just fitted a set of IPF Xtreme Sport spot lights to my Lexus LX470. On my previous car, a Navara D22 I picked up the Hi beam wire from behind the head light. On the Lexus the Hi beams are Xenon or HID type lights with ballasts on the radiator support. My question is were do I pick up or tap in to the Hi bean wire. I don't want to guess my luck as I know connecting a wrong wire can cost a fortune in a repair or replacement Hi beam.
Any help will be much appreciated
Anthony.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 14:16

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 14:16
Ant,

Was this meant to be a pun? :-) "...........have a question that someone might be able to shed some light on."

What I know about Lexus would fit on the back of a 5c postage stamp, so my knowledge of their light circuits wouldn't fill the upper right corner of said stamp.

What about hooking into the high beam circuit, where it goes into the ballast/HID box? This will be 12v, and should suit your purpose. Would imagine that Lexus are negative switching, as are Toyotas, so your high beam indicator may not work, once you hook up the relay for the spotties.

Seem to recall if you make the spottie on/off switch part of the headlight circuit, and don't earth it to the chassis, the blue indicator light will continue to work. Let us know how you get on,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518721

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 14:23

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 14:23
Anthony,

I have had an LX470 since new in 1999, although my son drives it now. The original high beams are excellent lights. I fitted some Hella Rallye 4000s with HID inserts to mine. The ballast has a twelve volt supply going in, and 25,000V coming out and going to the globes. Use the 12V going in to operate a relay. Supply your driving lights with a decent gauge wire running from a 12V point near the battery, via the relay. I put a 30A fuse near the start of this wire.

Bob
AnswerID: 518722

Sponsored Links