Kimberly Coast sightseeing boat trips

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 08:27
ThreadID: 104475 Views:3036 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Interested to hear whether fellow travellers who have done cruises in this area think they are value for money. May be there are cheaper ones than I have not been able to find.Would like to do it, but add on airfares & think we could do a lot of caravanning for the same money.Have been looking at 8-10 day trips.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:01

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:01
In 2010 we did an eight day cruise up the Kimberley coast in the MV Diversity II, Broome, WA. Quite a bit above our normal style but we had saved our bickies. It was definietly five star and we had a cabin directly behind the bridge with ensuite and deck. They spoilt us all. Only six passengers on a 60 foot catamaran. Normally take 12 and very popular. Most days started with a bit of fishing (yep barras and fingermark galore) then we would cruise a bit further up the coast and find another creek or river to take the small boats up. I think we "landed" every day except the Horizontal Falls visit. Food was superb. Especially the Chili crab with crabs that we caught straight out of the water.

This may not be what you are after. But check it out anyway. We are mad keen to do it again.

Check the cruise we took at: Lower Kimberley Cruise

And no; we didn't go through the Horizontal Falls. It was over a 4 meter drop. Not safe.

We saw the Kimberley from the Bitumen, GRR and the ocean!

Value for money? Too right!! Very expensive but worth every penny. Save up - You won't be disappointed. It's a long way back. Very personal service. The chef went to a lot of trouble to make my cup of tea exactly as I like it. Now that's saying something.

I cannot praise it enough. And no I do not have any pecuniary interest in the company at all. Nill. Zip. None. Just a very satisfied passenger.

As they say - A picture is worth a thousand words.

Phil

AnswerID: 518714

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:03

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:03
Crickey I got stuck into that one, didn't I!

Phil
FollowupID: 798617

Follow Up By: DES m - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:46

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:46
I can recommend a boat called KTO excellent service and the most passionate crew you would ever meet.Just do it you will never regret it.
FollowupID: 798621

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:15

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:15
The True North cruises are the ultimate if you've won Lotto recently - but none of the Kimberley cruises are cheap. Part of the reason is the vast distances to cover, at relatively slow speeds.
The Discovery Cruise is smaller, a little cheaper, and wastes less time travelling along the less-interesting parts of the Kimberly coast because it leaves from Derby.
However, be aware that the Discovery One has shared bathroom facilities due to its smaller size. The Discovery Cruise mob do an 11 day/12 night cruise for next May and June at around $6000 p.p. I'm still filling the piggybank for that one. A Kimberley cruise is high on the bucket list.

My middle nephew has a 41' Randell - I wish I could con him into lending it to me for a month! - but he went to the Kimberley in 2011, and he burnt up 18,000 litres of fuel in the trip from Perth to the Kimberley and back! Of course, he likes sitting on 35kts, too! Two 400HP Cummins at full throttle don't exactly sip fuel!

Tripadvisor will give you a number of reviews on Kimberley cruises, and there's very few people that are disappointed. I recall seeing an interview with an elderly German couple who were on their SIXTH True North cruise! I'd guess money wasn't a problem to them!
AnswerID: 518718

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 18:36

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 18:36
Younger bro went on True North last year and told me it was a bit pricey (!!!!) at over 12 grand each but was definitely worth it.
Service from staff who outnumbered passengers was superb.
Boat and heli flights during the trip were included and he's going again.......he's got a different size bank balance to mine. :-(
AlanH.
FollowupID: 798630

Follow Up By: Happy Frank - Thursday, Sep 26, 2013 at 20:07

Thursday, Sep 26, 2013 at 20:07
We did a cruise on Discovery One a couple of years ago, whilst the crew were great, the scenery was great, many little things went wrong from day one, the boat wasn't ready, one of the engines broke down, due to one engine not going the skipper wouldn't go into some of the advertised locations because of the tides etc. It was still good but a little disappointing, we had saved a long time for it and didn't go to the advertised destinations, we contacted the management after and were told "You can't please everyone." I would recommend someone else.
FollowupID: 798680

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 09:18

Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 09:18
Sounds like a case for some sort of compensation as they haven't given you what you paid for. Check with your local consumer affairs people as even a phone call from them can sometimes have a good result for you.
Good luck.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 798703

Reply By: Greyone - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 17:37

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 17:37
Sometimes (obviously only if you can afford it) you need to look past the cost to do something special or a once in a lifetime experience. One thing we all need to remember - you're a long time dead!!! Just do it.
AnswerID: 518731

Follow Up By: pling - Thursday, Sep 26, 2013 at 08:45

Thursday, Sep 26, 2013 at 08:45
We just got back from 6 weeks in the Kimberly and 7 days on the "Great Escape".

The owner is the skipper, so everything is done perfectly, as a family run business.

Did all the things already stated by others and we paid bottle shop prices for our drinks.

Only 14 people in air cond en suite cabins, 5 crew, chef and chopper pilot. Did chopper trips off the roof .

Never had to put bait on the hook, they did everything for you.

Was the best thing we have done for years and it was worth the money even if more than we would normally think of spending.

plingy.

It was hard to go into the tent after that week!!!!

FollowupID: 798651

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Thursday, Sep 26, 2013 at 08:40

Thursday, Sep 26, 2013 at 08:40
Not a boat cruise as such, but the day trip from Broome or Derby by flying boat to the Horizontal Falls is an excellent day out. Flights, fresh barra BBQ, river cruise and two separate trips over the falls, if the tides are right. Exhilarating.

Tim
AnswerID: 518751

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 18:30

Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 18:30
Also it might be worthwhile doing a game fishing charter out of Broome and get onto some nice sailfish as well as having a fantastic day out.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 518815

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:52

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:52
I agree with Tom HJ61 above. The day trip out to the Horizontal Falls is terrific.

Whet your appetite here: Horizontal Falls
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518853

Sponsored Links