Caravan site availability in Tasmania?

We were hoping to travel over to Tasmania in a few weeks and were hoping to just take a leisurely trip rather than having to stick to a planned itinerary but I have been told it can be difficult to get into caravan parks unless you book well in advance, is this the case? We have a 16ft wheelchair accessible caravan and will preferably need powered sites, or failing that would need to look into a generator to power the wheelchair. We also need dog friendly, which I know is an added complication, though could use a boarding kennel if that was an issue. How hard is it really to get sites in Tasmania? Would we be better off not taking the dog and van and just staying in hotels? Or would we be better off sticking to the mainland and leave going to Tasmania till January or February next year?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 16:30

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 16:30
It's while since we were there in 2007, but we had no problems getting sites back then.
AnswerID: 518902

Reply By: Curlynan - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 17:19

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 17:19
Hi Leah H
Try looking at this websitehttp://www.caravanparkstasmania.com
It provides links to many caravan parks in Tasmania. We often look at the availability in parks by putting in dates that we may be in the area. If it looks like there are sites available then we usually have no problems getting into the park. Also we have dropped an email off to the respective park explaining that we may be in the area around certain dates and ask if it would be necessary to pre book. Quite often we get a reply very quickly and most don't pressure you into committing on the spot. Explain that you need power site for a guest in a wheelchair.
If you can afford a generator then I would suggest you invest in one. They are a great backup when situations arise. Especially when you are travelling with a dog. There are still quite a lot of parks that take dogs. The park website should tell you if they accept pets or not.
One thing I will say though we had a 5 week holiday in Tas in 2008 camping in a tent, it was Feb/Mar and we had the odd night when finding a place to free camp was a little difficult. I'm sure it would have been easier if we had taken the van but we didn't. Only place we had trouble getting into anywhere was in Hobart on a very cold rainy night. We couldn't even get a cabin. Stayed in a Hotel in town. Just as well because the next morning it has snowed on Mt Wellington and it was the end of Feb. That's Tassie for you.
We've done this sort of thing in all states... Unless it is school holidays or in the winter high season in northern Australia you should be ok.
Good luck.
Mish
AnswerID: 518904

Reply By: Kanga1 - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 17:21

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 17:21
Hi Leah, January February would be peak times based on the amount of Interstate plates on Caravans and M/homes we saw last year at that time, we moved here in Oct last year, and didn't see swarms until after New Year. If you are coming over before Christmas you shouldn't really have any problems, dog friendly I'm not sure of but Google is your friend there, make sure to leave yourself enough time for the tour. It may only be a smallish Island, but there is a fair bit to see :-) Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518905

Reply By: mbw650 - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:29

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:29
Hey Leah,
My family and I + 3 Labradors, have come home to Tasmania after many years away and while waiting for a job and to find a home we travelled around Tasmania for the last 9 months. Most parks are dog friendly or if not there will be another not too far away, even those that are not so friendly will tolerate a well behaved dog at the moment until the tourist season gets into full swing.
Most beaches/parks/picnic areas have dog areas set aside and you will find doggy doo bins and bags everywhere, you will have no problem at this time of year with a dog. The weather at the moment is wonderful, with mostly warm days and the nights that do get a little cold just encourage you to snuggle up in bed.
Don't put off your trip as it is a wonderful time to be here, come and make the most of our spring weather. Bring your van, bring you dog and bring a sense of wonder because you will not regret it for a moment.

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 518921

Follow Up By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 22:04

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 22:04
Hi there, we spent the whole month of November 2009 in Tassie with a long campervan. All parks we stayed at had heaps of room and we had no trouble at all getting in. We did stay at a few free camps without power and there is a great free camps book available. We stayed at Treasure Island in Hobart, Dover cp in Dover, a DEC campground in Freycinet NP. One of the best was the Port Arthur caravan park with spacious sites on a hillside. It is a great state and we would love to do it all again. Good Luck.
FollowupID: 799078

Sponsored Links