Gu Patrol rear top coil spring mounts

Guy's,
On holidays in Townsville and found my top coil spring mount for my series one GU wagon has cracked and is now pushing on the underside of the rear cab floor.
Can anyone help with information on a reliable repairer who can not only fix but strengthen the mounts for me, or is there an after market weld on fix???
Thanks
Rastas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 19:31

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 19:31
I have not had anything to do with repairing this....but there is a wealth of info on the Patrol Forum about it. I have seen an aftermarket brace setup to stop this from happening...but would imagine it wont actually fix it. I think it needs to be repaired before fitting bracket/brace.
Good luck with it.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518909

Reply By: Chris (Qld) - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 19:37

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 19:37
Rastas,
Superior Engineering, HERE , have weld in and bolt in strengthening/repair brackets, they also have complete new weld in towers. The workshop and warehouse is at Burpengary just north of Brisbane. May be worth you getting in contact with them, they may know of who can do the repairs up that way if you cannot or are not heading that way and courier up what is needed.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 518910

Follow Up By: 98TAJ - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 20:00

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 20:00
Thanks heaps for that Chris it looks as though this company has the stuff I'm after, Just need some one with a workshop now who can look at getting it fitted, or a local dealer for Superior Engineering.
FollowupID: 798869

Reply By: pepper2 - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 08:00

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 08:00
the rear brake lines pass between the spring tower and the cab floor ,the collapsing tower often crushes the brake lines ,please check yours out during repair.
AnswerID: 518927

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 08:34

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 08:34
We've had friends with two different GU's do this, both lost brakes at the time due to the brake lines being squashed.
To repair properly it is a pretty big job as the body really has to be lifted off to do it properly and fit a brace across between the towers.
Of the two that we know about one was reapired in situ and subsequently broke again and one had the body lifted off enough to allow the welder to access from the top to do it properly and is still going strong years later.
FollowupID: 798890

Reply By: lizard - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:05

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:05
I got the spring tower kit from these guys - installed without taking tray of ute off ... is welded inside existing towers
http://www.atocauto.com.au/
AnswerID: 518937

Reply By: 98TAJ - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 20:13

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 20:13
Guy's,
After a lot of looking around I finally found some on with the expertise to assist.
M&B automotive live and breath GU patrols but due to the holidays etc he was a bit snowed under but put me onto Big Wheels truck alignment which was quite a help with the repairs required and assistance with sorting parts with local knowledge.
Rastas
AnswerID: 519229

Sponsored Links