The Dmax lost the aircon and indicators at the same time yesterday.

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 20:05
ThreadID: 104526 Views:5575 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

We were on our way home from Mildura to Scone yesterday and the aircon and blinkers stopped working about 30 minutes from our daughters place south ofsydney.

Pulled into their house and rang NRMA.

While I was waiting I checked the aircon and blinkers a few times,, still not working.

Although when it first happened I pressed the red break down button and the lights worked, no good when I just used the blinker.

NRMA arrived about 30 minutes after I rang. He checked both and hey presto both worked.

I can only think that something happened while the car was hot and when it cooled down whatever went wrong rectified itself.

I'll take it to Isuzu tomorrow and see what they say.

Has anyone had the same experience?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 20:36

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 20:36
Boo Boo
Do you have a large key fob or many keys on the key ring?

The Hazard "RED" breakdown switch it separately fused and supplied to the flasher unit.
The key system supplied fused power to the flasher unit too into a separate input in the flasher unit.
If your key had become slightly turned in the IGN switch it may have turned off the flasher power but not the engine run/ECU power relay.

Try sitting in it with key ON, flashers on L or R and slowly turn it towards the OFF position just a little bit. If the flashers stop and the dash remains illuminated ie engine would continue to run, it might be the switch was turned slightly or the Ign switch is a bit dickey.

There is no temp related item ie thermo reset in the system as far as I know.

Cheers
RossM
AnswerID: 518915

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 20:47

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 20:47
G'day Ross

I have a leather key fob with one small key attached since new (2yrs ago).

What you say about the hazard lights etc make sense, but we had been driving for about two hours and both aircon and indicators went off line at the same time.

I'm going to put my money on an intermittent fault that is going to be a pain to find, unless they have had the problem pop up before and know immediately what the solution is.

I'll let you know what they say tomorrow.
FollowupID: 798871

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 19:36

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 19:36
Ross

The service manager did pretty much what you suggested, but all was good.

FollowupID: 798925

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 19:38

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 19:38
Forgot to mention it took Isuzu a long time to figure out the aircon problem as it would normally fix itself by the time anyone looked at it.
FollowupID: 798926

Reply By: Member - a convict - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:20

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:20
RE: "I'm going to put my money on an intermittent fault that is going to be a pain to find, unless they have had the problem pop up before and know immediately what the solution is."

..got a near new Commodore rental at Brisbane airport. Night time, then, about 60 Km west of Warwick, the blinkers stopped working. About 20 Km later, the headlights went out, .. I'm doing the speed limit. W h o a !

Stopped car turned it off, turned it back on, all good. All the way to Tamworth same thing, happened three of four times. Each time I
lost the blinkers, I'd pull over, turn it off, turn it on, good as gold.
Did not loose the head lights again.

I guess the 'on/off' routine was sort of like a PC 'reboot' ?

..hope they find issue.

..cheers

AnswerID: 518918

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:36

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:36
Convict - The HQ-HJ Holdens had a main wiring harness connector in the firewall. The main wiring harness was in two sections - one section for the engine bay and the other section for the inside of the cabin and the rear of the vehicle.
This huge connector in the firewall comprised about 20 bayonet connectors and was held together in the firewall by one 1/4" bolt in the centre.

If you drove regularly through flooded creeks and on gravel roads, the water and dust would get into this big connector and corrode the bayonets. Two of the bayonets carried high and low beam, and things got exciting when they corroded!

You'd be belting along a country road at 110kmh (or faster) on a dark night, and you'd dip your lights for an oncoming car - then when the car zipped past, you'd hit the switch for high beam - and all the lights would go out!!

So there you'd be, screaming into the pitch blackness at high speed, and not a clue where you were going!!
Happened to me one night when I was late getting home and had the old HQ ute floored pretty well. Talk about take 10 yrs off your life!!
I quickly found out that if you flicked the switch back onto low beam, the lights came back on!

Got the ute into the workshop next morning and pulled that big connector apart after finding no power on the engine bay side of the harness - and found the bayonet connectors corroded something chronic!
Cleaned them all up, sprayed the entire inside of the connector with CRC, sealed the join line with silastic, bolted the connector together - and hey presto, never had any problems again!

The problem must have happened to some GMH engineer - because the HX-WB Holdens had a one-piece main wiring harness - GMH completely eliminated the two-piece harness and the firewall connector in those models!
FollowupID: 798880

Follow Up By: Member - a convict - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:54

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:54
" Talk about take 10 yrs off your life!! "

..you can say that again, I did not get to Tamworth
till about 2:30 a.m. took it real easy, ( & nervous wreck ).

.. cheers .
FollowupID: 798884

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:20

Sunday, Sep 29, 2013 at 22:20
Boo Boo - How old is the D-Max and how many kms has it done? I'd tend to put my money on a faulty ignition switch - or a wiring harness connector, or dash cluster connector, that has separated (or partly separated) - thus cutting off power to the A/C and indicators. Have you been on any amount of corrugated roads lately that could have shook a connector apart? The wiring diagram will be a vital requirement before you start pulling things apart, so you can pick up a point, or points, where the indicators and A/C have a common feed.
AnswerID: 518919

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 19:33

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 19:33
G'day Ron

The dmax has done 75k and is only 2yrs old this month.

I took it to Isuzu tamworth this morning and discussed the problems with him.

Firstly, the aircon is a known problem, supposedly for only the last 3 months.

I'm not a mechanic but I'll try my best to describe what happens to the aircon.

The moisture in the cabin is sucked out of the air and normally drips out of a tube and onto the road.

What happens in this case is the canister that holds the moisture before it fills up a little and drips out freezes the water and blocks the outlet hole.

This causes the fan to shut down and the aircon to stop working.
It commences working again after the ice melts.

It is a bigger problem in humid climates like the NT.

Isuzu have yet to find a 'fix' for the problem.

Secondly, the blinkers shutting down at the same time was purely a coincidence.

The service manager printed out the electrical diagram and confirmed that the aircon and blinkers are not on the same circuit.

He has entered the details on the computer and noted that it is a warranty problem and will be fixed as soon as a 'fix' is available, (for the aircon).

He is investigate the blinker problem and this is noted as a warranty issue as well.

On a separate issue I mentioned that there is a pregnant pause when I turn on the ignition to start the car. Isuzu is aware of the problem, ie if you have any 12v appliance in the cigarette plug or the other one underneath it then that will cause the problem.

I asked if he was joking. He agreed with me that everone has something plugged into one of those outlets.

There is a fix, but Isuzu will not do it under warranty.
FollowupID: 798924

Reply By: allein m - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:02

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:02
Some one should write a book on intermittent faults it would be interesting reading..

How may people have pulled a car apart to find a rattle only to find a loose nit or bolt in the ash tray.

sad part is many intermittent faults cost few dollars to fix but huge sums of dollars to find .
AnswerID: 518942

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 13:12

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 13:12
I agree, those loose nit's can be a problem.
FollowupID: 798903

Follow Up By: allein m - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 14:22

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 14:22
lol nuts typo
FollowupID: 798910

Follow Up By: Member - Coldee - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 18:59

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 18:59
Happened in dad's old truck. It was the fuses. No idea why they stopped working but the theory was they had a hairline crack. Who knows. Replaced the old fuses with the new ones and it didn't happen again. Who knows?
FollowupID: 798920

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 19:09

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 19:09
Coldee - The old style glass fuses were prone to cracking the fuse strip under the end cap, where you couldn't see. Quite often an end cap would break free from both fuse strip and the glass bond, and you could spin it off the glass tube section.
FollowupID: 798922

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 12:38

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 12:38
i had a valiant VJ and it was a ex gov car low ks but 5 months after i bought it it stopped dead walked to servo put fuel in did not start rang rac in Perth and I was so lucky the guy that came out had worked in the valiant dealership and said i know exactly what is wrong

they had a plastic fuse under the dash for ignition it would just melt

he said first time it did happen they spent a day striping the dash out to find the problem

I just carried a couple of spare fuse and the plastic units in the glove box

why it did it know one knows even if you put a larger fuse in it would just melt the plastic and blow the fuse

FollowupID: 798953

Sponsored Links