Air bag size for coil spring

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 10:10
ThreadID: 104549 Views:1750 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi this may be a dumb question but here goes , I have had some custom made coils springs made up for the rear of my 4wd and I want to fit airbags in them , as they are custom made I am not going to find a listing in any catalogue so I want to know how do I measure the size bag I need , should it fit snugly in the coil when deflated i.e. touching the sides and top or should there be a little play for the bag to expand when inflated?

Thanks for your help spousey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 12:37

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 12:37
Do you know what brand of air bag you want I've got polyair red air bags why not try their site and ask a few questions. When your not using them to carry weight you usually keep a few pounds in them.
AnswerID: 518999

Follow Up By: Spousey - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:29

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:29
G'day Batts

Thanks for the reply yeah I did contact polyair and they did not seem interested , they suggested I contact a company called airbagman or something like that which I did and I received no reply from them ,I am thinking because its not something they can look up in their database they could not be bothered.

Yeah I realise some air around 15 psi is supposed to be in them at all times but I am not sure how snug a fit they are meant to be I am guessing there should be a little play in the width but just but wondered about the length.
FollowupID: 798961

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 20:07

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 20:07
When you say custom springs are they extra long or something because I don't think you can fit bags if you have more than a 50mm longer spring unless your spring is an irregular shape tapered or something, have you had it radically changed or something. You should be able to get bags to suit your vehicle brand. I have bags in my patrol it's standard height and I had bags in a disco with a 50mm lift. I dealt with airbagman yrs ago bit slack responding and unusually surprised when you make warranty claims they use to have problems with valve stems leaking it was a known problem. Are you custom springs soft and set up for lots of wheel travel could be a problem as well.
FollowupID: 799001

Follow Up By: Spousey - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 20:32

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 20:32
I have upgraded from a 13mm diameter wire to a 15mm they are only about 30mm longer but have given the rear end quite a lift due to less sag in the spring the, I had King springs and coil spacers along with airbags fitted before which gave it about a 50mm lift but on a recent trip down the Hay River track one of the airbags sprung a leak and it was bottoming out on even the slightest bump due to the amount of weight one needs to carry on such a trip, so I decided to get a set of springs custom made and they themselves may be all I need now, but I am thinking about the airbags as they don't cost that much and I figure it can't do any harm to have them, as I already have the hoses and valve fitted which are perfectly fine.
FollowupID: 799003

Follow Up By: Spousey - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 21:17

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 21:17
OOPS that should have read upgraded from 15mm to 17mm wire not 13 to 15
FollowupID: 799007

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 23:30

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 23:30
Have you tried other suppliers I'm no expert but surely there would be no problem running bags in them especially now you have a heavier spring that will offer more support maybe just buy some and chuck them in good luck
FollowupID: 799018

Reply By: Grizzle - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 12:51

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 12:51
Try a company in America, website trucksprings.com you can buy polyair from there and have them delivered here still cheaper than buying here. They are a reseller. If you give them the dimensions of your springs you should be able to get something pretty close. They have a 24 hour phone line.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519057

Follow Up By: Spousey - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 16:17

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 16:17
Hi Grizzle

Thanks very much will give them a shot .
FollowupID: 799048

Sponsored Links