diff lock failure

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 10:50
ThreadID: 104550 Views:3716 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone experienced the same failures i have had with ARB air lockers. I had air lockers front and rear fitted on my new hilux and had them fail on the first use (leaked oil after the first use) I had them both replaced after experiencing lots of other problems and i have just attempted a rock climb (relatively easy ) and before starting i couldnt get the front one to lock as its losing air. The compressor starts and stops at 1second intervals indicating an air leak but i dont know if it's internal or a hose. I'm seriously considering having them removed as they are going to get me into more trouble than they'll ever get me out of..........These units have failed EVERY TIME i have tried to use them and after looking at the ARB adverts for them they are touted as being the ultimate....ULTIMATE DISAPPOINTMENT and ultimately UNRELIABLE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:42

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:42
They have not been fitted correctly - most issues relate to the sealing o rings - the lockers have not failed they are just not working.

Take them back to where they were fitted and get them fitted correctly.

Garry
AnswerID: 518993

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:03

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:03
Cheers Garry
This is the 5th time they've been done by ARB.....Trading it in on a new landcruiser
FollowupID: 798956

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:35

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:35
Hullo liftnlock
Because of reports concerning ARB lockers and the poor performance of Toyota LSDs, I fitted an E-locker in the rear and a Detroit TrueTrac LSD in the front of the Series 80.
In a word - excellent.
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 798963

Reply By: Bludge - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:42

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:42
liftnlock,

ARB lockers are sold world wide and in their thousands, I do not believe that its the lockers that are faulty, most likely the installation. You do not say where or who fitted these.

The only aledges ARB locker failures I am aware of were the Chinese knock offs, they came in boxes that look just like the ARB products, still for sale on eBay.

I had my ARB lockers fitted by a reputable ARB stockist in Newcastle NSW Out of Town in Barnsley. No issues, with the product or service, justr a bit too far for you to travel.

What does the installer say?
Have you spoken to ARB directly with a complaint?

ARB contact via email
or
ARB Corporation Ltd
42-44 Garden Street
Kilsyth VIC 3137
Australia
Tel: 03 9761 6622
Fax: 03 9761 6807
AnswerID: 518995

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:01

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:01
Yeh i had them fitted by ARB the first,second, third, fourth, and soon the fifth time.....The first time the oil leaked back up through the air pump the other times was noise/vibration problems and now the air is coming up through the breather indicating the actuator is at fault and it the diff will once again have to be removed. ARB Keep fixing it but that isnt the problem....Diff locks are supposed to help you out of a situation not get you into one. I have cancelled 5 trips away so far with this constant failure and the lux has only just clocked 18,000kms today...I'm in the process of trading it in as it is no longer reliable
FollowupID: 798954

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:05

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:05
I would then refer the issue to ARB head office not your local franchise to sort out.
FollowupID: 798957

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:10

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:10
Yeh i did all the other times and they don't call me back anymore as they believe they have a superior product and tried to say the car was at fault. This is not the case as these were fitted to the car when it had done 43 kms (brand new) off the show room floor.
FollowupID: 798958

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:28

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:28
Which ARB is doing the work? I hope it isn't the one fitting mine now...
FollowupID: 798960

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:30

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 13:30
mate call me on 0402840382
FollowupID: 798962

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 14:56

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 14:56
You're intending to trade in a near new vehicle because of what appears an install issue with an aftermarket locker?
Why not have them removed and ask for a refund from the supplier/installer if your so unhappy.

My first set of lockers years ago were ARB Airlockers, excellent product.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519010

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 19:32

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 19:32
Hi i wish it was only an install issue
im trading it in because i no longer have faith in it's ability to get me back home. if this is a fitting problem then why has it failed 5 times????? yes this will be the 5th time they have been fixed..the question you would be asking will be the same one im asking "would you trust this car going into the middle of nowhere, it broke down 2 days ago 140km from the nearest point of civilization, now that's one hell of a walk through the bush and paper warranties don't cut the mustard when you get stranded.The fitting has all been done by ARB on the 4 occasions and removing the diff for a 5th time you would have to ask are they going to replace all the gaskets and seals again or short cut and leave me stranded again and i have NO GARRANTEE that it wont happen again. Im now in the process of making ARB reimburse some of the loss of the trade in.There's a lot more to this issue like arb's comment "just wait till things fall off and we'll fix them when the roo bar fell off
FollowupID: 798996

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 19:48

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 19:48
Sorry - don't quite follow - how does not having diff locks going to stop you getting home. While not a fan of the Hilux it is reasonably capable and does not need diff locks unless operating in extreme terrain. I don't have diff locks on my main vehicle and have no issues.

While I understand your disappointment with the lockers you seem to be throwing out the baby with the bath water. If the difflocks do not work you still have the standard diffs that 95% of 4wders seem to manage with.

Maybe you just don't like the HiLux and want to change and the difflocks are just an excuse to get rid of it.
FollowupID: 798998

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 22:09

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 22:09
no oil in diffs would probably not stop you but it would me. Driving without the oil voids the warranty !!!!!! we were 140km away from the homestead and had gone through some very hard terrain and had to take the chicken track back. but then again you don't expect to pay $9500 for accessories on a brand new car only to have them fail or fall off and be replaced 5 times.... and yes im that 5% that you missed that buys this gear and actually uses it as i have done with the last 3 4x4s i've owned.Some of the tracks you take may well be done with a holden HQ but this would make you stop and think again
FollowupID: 799011

Reply By: krimnl - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 20:53

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 20:53
I have used ARB lockers for years , got my first in 1998 and have used ARB lockers in 7 outback challenges , rainforest challenge in Malaysia and many off road trips through Victoria and the outback. I have only ever had 1 failure from a locker and that was user error rather than manufacturer problems.

my initial thoughts are are your lockers getting fitted by a corporate owned ARB ? If not I would contact ARB head office and discuss the issues. It maybe that Toyota have changed something in the front diffs and it hasn't been picked up by ARB as yet ?
It could also be fitting error or user error
It maybe that the lockers being fitted are cheap knock offs if you are just having them fitted at the local 4wd store that has a ARB sign out the front.

AnswerID: 519038

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 21:58

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 21:58
This is definately not user error as ive operate many vehicle with diff lockers ranging from 250t LTM all tterrain 6 axle lockers multi-steer cranes to 4x4s and most in between. These have been fitted by the Wa state branch of ARB in canning vale and were originally done by ARB welshpool. I suspect they have been using cheap chinese copies and passing them off as Australian made as i cant see why 5 lots would fail.surely they cant be that useless at mechanics??????in the end its going to be better to trade it in and relieve the stress its causing me n the family and ill be able to folllow my passion with the feeling that ill be able to go on holidays and not have to replace the diffs again when i get back or worry about it breaking down 1/2 way through a trip again,ive already cancelled 5 trips away with equipment failure (all ARB!!!!!! bull bar came off,spottie fell off, steering wasnt tightened up when the lift kit was installed and arb welshpool said "just keep driving and we'll fix what falls off"). It's upsetting as the car is only 14 months old and done 18,000 kms and has all the fruit but it's got to go
FollowupID: 799009

Sponsored Links