Introductions

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 19:42
ThreadID: 104566 Views:2168 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm new to ExploreOz so I'd thought I'd introduce myself. Wozza from WA here. I'm originally from Kalgoorlie but have spent as much time in Perth.

In Feb 2011 I set off for an adventure with my Pajero and roof top tent. Left Perth bound for Alice. Along the Nullarbor I took a little detour down the Eyre Peninsula trying to escape the heat. It was 48-49 degrees outside, the bitumen was over 55 and all heavy vehicles had to stop using the road as the edges were melting! Each night along the way had minimums of 37 degrees! Port Lincon was a refreshing 34 overnight - got to use the rooftop tent for the first time!!

Had a fantastic year in Alice visiting the surrounding Gorges and Valleys. It was a great year to be there - Alice was Green! There was water everywhere! I saw the Todd flood 3 times! I also met a girl and we now have a beautiful 19month old girl!

Since then we moved to the Sunshine coast, travelled up to Fraser which was fantastic - apart from getting bogged!

Also travelled down the NSW coast around Bateman's bay to Tuross Heads. Coming form WA I had no idea that forest could meet the ocean! What a magical place!

We then head back to Perth a bit, up to Gerladton for a few months and now we are in Brisi, planning our return trip to Alice. We leave at the worse time possible - February!

PLanning on going through Broken Hill as we only have 8-9 days to get there. This time pulling a trailer and with bubba in tow.

Wondering if anyone has any advice. Is this a bad idea - to travel across central NSW at this time of year?

If anyone has any advice would be great to hear from then. Thinking of Brisbane to Goondiwindi - to Gilgandra - Broken Hill - Port Augusta - Coober Pedy and possibly one more stop before Alice. Will have a day free to stop somewhere for a break - but in temps of high 30's and poss low 40's I'm not sure where

If we had more time would of liked to have gone down and across!

Wozza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pepper2 - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 08:43

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 08:43
Hello Wozza first of all welcome to the forum,i look forward to sharing your travel experiences,you will find a good community here and many people will offer assistance and advice at any of your requests.
all the best
pepper
AnswerID: 519088

Follow Up By: allein m - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:05

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:05
hi wozza i am also from perth i meet a lady on the net 15 years ago and moved to Broken Hill great place if you get a chance stop in and have a look

temps are up and down at present the summer heat is close you will find it very different it is a very dry heat too some time to get used to

we often get 110 February and that is so dry

FollowupID: 799104

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 09:24

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 09:24
What a lovely story!
Go travelling and find yourself a family!
The east coast is very different to the west coast, isn't it?!

I have a friend who loves the heat and travel through the outback in summer. I think they're mad, but each to their own, eh?!
They've done Cameron Corner in summer and all sorts of outback travels and have only ever come to grief once when they wrote off the car on an unfenced road near Mt Isa (the cow came off second best, though)
I reckon that if you've done the Nullarbor in February you've probably experienced most of what it's going to be like... There's probably not much difference between temps at Coober Pedy and the Nullarbor!!
The heat makes it harder going for your vehicle so make sure it's well prepared and any possible spares are on board, inc a few days' food and water and some form of communication. As I'm sure you saw on the Nullarbor it can be a long time between passing vehicles in summer if you do need help but on major roads there's always trucks.
If you stick to main roads it'll be like the Nullarbor (with a few more bends!!)
Although I used to live in western NSW I can't think of a stopover...
Here's hoping for a milder summer than we had last year!
Safe travels to the 3 of you!
:)
AnswerID: 519152

Sponsored Links