East MacDonnells info

Submitted: Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 09:44
ThreadID: 104586 Views:2317 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone explored the East MacDonnells recently? We are already in Alice and there seems very little information and this forum only talks about Trephina Gorge. We are thinking of going to Jessie Gap, Ruby Gap and up to Gemtree via Gardens Road. Any information would be very gratefully received.
Cheers
Anni
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wombat100 - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 10:02

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 10:02
It's a nice drive out to Ross River Station. All the gorges you mention and some great scenery. Good hospitality (and camping area) at the Station.

AnswerID: 519156

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 11:18

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 11:18
Hi Anni, If you drive out to Trephina etc you can keep going through the Artlunga
Historical Reserve & follow the Gardens Rd around past Ambilindum Station (good camp). You then need to turn right on Pinnacles Rd & follow it through to the Plenty Hwy. Gemtree is just back to your left. The road ,In May, is firstly sealed, then gravel.
Parts are a bit rough but easy if you take your time. The southern end of Pinnacles Rd
is narrow & windy but very scenic. We towed our dirt road poptop through with no
trouble, there are a few gates. cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 519160

Reply By: Member - batsy - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 14:15

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 14:15
Hi Annie.We were through there in May/June this year with our TVans & 80 Series Landcruisers & went to the end of the Ruby Gap track which was a little slow in places due to washouts & stones but nothing of any real significance.The rest of the roads are as 'oldbaz' has already mentioned..no problems.This whole area is alive with great scenery & Ruby Gap in particular had a wonderful 'feel' about it. Safe travels.
Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519173

Reply By: Member - johnat - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 15:02

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 15:02
Trephina is actually quite beautiful. We were there a couple weeks ago. We also went to the twin gaps (Jesse and Emily) but didn't walk to Jesse, as we'd managed to park under a tree with bees in/on it. They were a bit aggressive, and didn't want to let us get our walking kit on. So, we left them to it. Emily gap has some quite beautiful cave paintings.

We also walked around the Corroboree rock, an impressive bit of natural sculpture, about 5km off the main road, but well worth a visit.
AnswerID: 519175

Reply By: Member - Anne M (VIC) - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 16:23

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 16:23
What a wonderful thing the ExplorOz forum is! Thank you so much everyone for your help. We will give it a try in our Troopy and Topaz trailer - after all if a T van can do it, so should we be able to!
Cheers
Anni
AnswerID: 519181

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 18:04

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 18:04
Ndala Gorge has some fine indigenous rock art.

Jack Hayes waterhole can be found at the end of a turn-off from the track into Trephina Gorge. Worth a visit esp if the water is running.

There's a mine you can crawl into out there; the bats are harmless ;-)

There's some pretty special flora.

Pick the pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/30283858@N07/sets/72157622490021058/
FollowupID: 799217

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 22:39

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 22:39
Hi Anni

You may like to read my Blogs from 2008 for the East MacDonnells. Best camping is at Trephina Gorge. You can call in to Jessie and Emily Gaps and Corroboree Rock on the way there. Worth spending a day exploring the well signed Arltunga historic mining area, and leave Ruby Gap for another day, as progress is slow when you get there. You can camp at N'Dhala, but if towing, it depends on the sand in the Ross River bed. It is an easy day trip from Trephina.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 519202

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 06:59

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 06:59
Beautiful area - agree with all the above comments.

Ruby Gap is very special and is the end of the line. To drive up the gorge involves driving on sand. Your Troopy will be fine with low tyre pressures, but may have difficulty dragging any heavy trailer.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 519206

Sponsored Links