Lawn Hill up to Kingfisher.......

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 18:24
ThreadID: 10459 Views:2291 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering about conditions "creek crossings mainly" on the way into Lawn Hill Nat Park and also after leaving and on the way up to Kingfisher......I am not looking for exact precise answers but just experienced guess's........
For example:::::: If someone asked me what the creek crossings would be like on the OTL this year after this wet season i would say quite a few would be well over the headlights.....
So from experience with this wet season in mind do these creeks get swollen like the OTL???? And a couple of the crossings are like Innaminka "causeways"........ Are they slippery in the current?????..Or is current not an issue??????
The month i refer to is MAY!!!!!!!........___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 19:14

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 19:14
Voxson,

There is a slippery crossing on the Gregory River just past Riversleigh Station. Take care. Water should be about half wheel height in May unless there has been a lot of late rain over the Barkley Tablelands late in April. Have no info on the Kingfisher track but the Gulf Track should be OK and the same sort of depth. Check for rocks at the Robinson River crossing in the NT. Enjoy your trek.

Cheers,
Willem
Out on the Gibber
AnswerID: 46389

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 19:49

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 19:49
Thanks Willem... The Gregory crossing "slippery"..... Is it a water current issue or a too fast aqua-planing issue?.... Or both?....
If car slips off is it a bit of a recovery or the finish of vehicle?...

Thanks Again..___________________________________

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 20:09

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 20:09
Hi Voxson,

It is a concrete causeway with a shallow drop to the north of about a metre or so. As water runs more or less permanently over the causeway there is a bit of algae growth. I wasn't concentrating when using the crossing and drove through in 2wd. With more power to the rear wheels we slipped a bit and I had to back off on the juice. It should be OK when you go through...just take care..

BTW my visit to Lawn Hill was a while back and maybe there is a super bridge over the Gregory now....but I doubt it. There is a small camping area on the north side of the crossing ansdwe camped there instead of at the over crowded NP camp ground. Adels Grove is also a campsite to consider.

Lawn Hill is a magic spot.

Cheers,

Willem
Out on the Gibber
FollowupID: 308248

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 20:39

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 20:39
Your information is outstanding...... I would prob like to camp in more of a bush camp than a set-out area if thats possible.......
I think i will hire a canoe for a quite paddle around....
Then look forward to the corrugations on the top track round to Stuart Hwy___________________________________

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 21:15

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 21:15
Voxson ,I am not sure of your route to the north but the Gulf Track wasn't too bad. There were some extended bulldust patches and I believe that some work has been done to the roads of late. From Borroloola it is bitumen. From Borroloola to the Stuart Hwy it is beef road and a pretty boring run at any time of day. You should take the backroad from Borroloola through Nathan River and Roper Bar to Mataranka. There is now access to the fabulous 'Lost City" near Nathan River and you might just get a feed of Barra if you throw a line in at the Cox or Limmen Rivers as well as the Roper River. Just keep an eye open for them big Geckos. There are campsites at all the major river crossings including a good site at Rocky Bar(Queensland Crossing) at the Hodgson River. There are some fantastic caves and sites of significance in this area but last time I heard it was a NO GO area. I got permission from some traditional 'fellas I helped along the road once and went and had a look down through Mountain Creek and saw a proper fella skull cave and burial ground. Really worth seeing our pre-history in this wild country.

Cheers,
Willem
Out on the Gibber
FollowupID: 308265

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:07

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:07
Willem... I was not sure which way i was going to travel once i left Borroloola... I was hoping not to be fed up with bad roads and was going to go up to Roper Bar..... I am hoping the roads are not similar to Gibb River Road or the Bypass roads of the Cape.....As much as i love remote travel the corrugations drive me nuts.....
If i have not been too shaken by Borroloola i will adventure further up instead of across.....

Regards Voxson.....___________________________________

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 20:56

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 20:56
Voxson,done the track between Lawnhill and KFC(King Fisher Camp) in July last year and the only creek that had water init was just after Lawnhill Station,water height was only about half way up our wheels.We passed through heaps of dry creeks and near KFC one huge creek bed with quite deep sand.
AnswerID: 46406

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:02

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:02
Hi Nick.... I have learnt to ask the right people nowadays for possible conditions.... Last year in July i did the OTL and before we left we rang the local stations up there and asked about creek conditions and the reply we got was "they are all as dry as a nuns chewing gum"..... So when we get there we find a few of the first creeks were a little shallow but after that they were bonnet jobs....Not that it really mattered but it could have if we had have decided to drive an EFI Patrol up there with a dickie crank sensor which shorted out and stalled as soon as it saw water. "which i was driving and pulling my hair out after being recovered in all creeks above wheel height".........but never-the-less live and learn....and buy a diesel....___________________________________

Sponsored Links