Sunday History Photo / NSW

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 06:32
ThreadID: 104602 Views:5849 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Tweed Heads is a town located on the Tweed River in north-eastern New South Wales, Australia, in Tweed Shire. Tweed Heads is located next to the border with Queensland, adjacent to the "Twin Town" of Coolangatta, a suburb of the Gold Coast. It is often referred to as a town where you can change time zones – even celebrate New Year twice within an hour – simply by crossing the street, due to its close proximity to the Queensland border, and the fact that New South Wales observes daylight saving whereas Queensland does not.

In 1823 John Oxley was the first European to see the Tweed Valley where upon exploring 7 miles upstream of the Tweed River he entered into his journal:
"A deep rich valley clothed with magnificent trees, the beautiful uniformity of which was only interrupted by the turns and windings of the river, which here and there appeared like small lakes. The background was Mt. Warning. The view is beautiful beyond description. The scenery here exceeded anything I have previously seen in Australia."
The area was settled by timber-getters around 1844. The first school opened in 1871, and by the 1890’s the river port of Tumbulgum was the centre of population. After the timber had been cleared, farmers moved in and bananas, cane and dairy farming became prominent as well as a fishing industry. The focus moved to Murwillumbah when the first Local Government municipality was declared in 1902. The Tweed Shire, which amalgamated the Municipality of Murwillumbah and Shire of Tweed, was declared in 1947.

Tweed Heads was once connected to the Queensland Railways system, with the South Coast line providing a direct connection to Brisbane. The railway opened in 1903 and closed in 1961. The site of the station has been converted to parklands and commercial development. The Tweed Heads Bowls Club was founded in 1921. The club started life on the banks of the Tweed River directly under Point Danger in a modest clubhouse. Then in 1975 a new clubhouse was built on Greenbank Island not far from the original site.
A number of well-known sporting teams represent the local area. One of them is the well known NRL club named the Gold Coast Titans and the Queensland Cup team Tweed Heads Seagulls Tweed Heads has two Australian rules football team's Tweed Coast Football Club and Coolangatta Tweed Heads Australian Football Club with the Tweed United as the Soccer Club plus Coolangatta-Tweed Barbarians Rugby Union Club, Tweed Heads Bowls Club, Tweed Heads Rowing Club, Tweed Valley Sailing Club and Tweed Heads & Coolangatta Surf Life Saving Club.
Tweed Shire covers 1303 square kilometres and adjoins the NSW shires of Byron, Lismore and Kyogle, with the NSW/Queensland border to its north where it divides the twin towns of Tweed Heads and Coolangatta. With 37 kms of natural coastline, wetlands and estuarine forests, lush pastoral and farm land, the entire basin of the Tweed River, and mountainous regions containing three world-heritage listed national parks, Tweed boasts a unique and diverse environment. Centrepiece of the Shire is Mount Warning, ( I have climbed it twice) where the sun first hits the Australian continent , it was Lieutenant James Cook named Mount Warning

Prior to European settlement, the area was blanketed in sub-tropical forest and was home to the Nganduwal/Minjungbal people. Many of the Shire’s towns and villages derive their names from the language of the local Aboriginal people.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 08:06

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 08:06
Thanks again Doug, you certainly can jog some old memories, I remember the Border Gates as a kid around late 50's early 60's when we used to do our annual seaside holidays at Coolangatta.

Also remember the gates on the Mt Lindsay highway, a gravel road back then, which used to be closed and sometimes locked at night.
AnswerID: 519238

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 11:23

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 11:23
A Border Gate!? What an excellent idea! Was that regularly shut to stem the flow of Mexicans!? [;-)

I think we should have one on the Nullarbor to stem the flow of sneering Eastern Staters, who reckon nothing in the West is as good as back home! [;-)
FollowupID: 799287

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 08:17

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 08:17
Good morning Doug
I remember my dad taking us to Tweed Heads as little kids in the 50s and the border gate was still there . We had a 54 Ford Prefect . Two day trip from Tamworth via Grafton .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519239

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 11:11

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 11:11
Was it a Ford Prefect llike in my profile picture Muzbry?
(my rideon mower has more HP than this model...LOL)

FollowupID: 799284

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:48

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:48
Gday
Sure was , 1172cc of almost nothing. I had an Anglia in the early sixties but with modifictions to make it faster. The bigest problem with them was a three speed box, to far between 2nd and 3rd. Good memories though.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 799297

Sponsored Links