Off Road Campers

Submitted: Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 11:15
ThreadID: 104617 Views:2499 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I went to the Leisurefest Caravan & Camping expo at Sandown and walked out confused, please help.
1. Red Rock Hard Floor CT $28500

2.Southern Land Campers Hard Floor $29000

3. Lifestyle AT10 Off Road Hybrid $41950

Do you own one of these or know anything that will help me ?
They all seem to fit our needs (couple in mid 50's towing with 2006 Hilux 3ltr Turbo Diesel). Want to be able to tow it anywhere.

Thanks in advance
Wato

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 17:44

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 17:44
Hi Wato

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames cause I've never owned one of these trailers before. Before you go off and buy one of these (I assume they are new prices) I would also look at:

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au and search for off road campers - if you sort by high price first - you get the more "popular" models. Personally I would stick to the well known brands:

1. Kimberley
2. Australian Off Road
3. Conqueror
4. Track Trailer (T/Van) etc
5. Complete Campsite

..and there are many others....

There are some good 2nd hand models in the market - in our most recent trip, friends in their "off road" trailer came back with their shock absorbers from their camper trailer in the boot of their car...and that wasn't much fun for them.

Sorry - not much help!

Cheers

Chris
AnswerID: 519333

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 19:47

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 19:47
besides any advice you'll get from here, maybe jump on MySwag forum, which is a camper trailer forum, and search for threads relating to those campers your interested in on there. (you'll need to join up to view all areas of the forum)
AnswerID: 519339

Reply By: krimnl - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 21:17

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 21:17
1 sentence you have put tells me that you might have to be very careful with your choice. "want to be able to tow it anywhere"
With this in mind i would stick with one of the known popular brands of trailer.

my personal vote is for the Track Tvan, after having another brand of trailer that served me well for many years I wanted a trailer that i could take into some harder areas as im not one to follow major routes. We looked around for a while and found the Tvan suited our needs. I have since dragged the tvan through the victorian high country , through the simpson , up hay river track and up the cape. It has done it without any breakages although it does have plenty of bush pinstripes now.
I doubt if many other campers (if any) would have held up to what i have put this poor thing through....
AnswerID: 519344

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 14:17

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 14:17
In the first instance you need to make a list of the things you must have vs the things you would like to have. Divide the list into rooms; kitchen, living area, bedroom etc. From there hire any camper trailer for a weekend and compare what you liked with it to your list and from there you normally find yourself with a list from where you can compare each camper on the market without getting too confused as you now actually have a plan. You also need to consider how long you will stay off-grid as that will drive choice on solar, water, gas and the rest of your needs. Works for all our clients.

I support the idea of considering a second hand camper as there are plenty around but beware they need to be well maintained and serviced with a record to prove it. I have seen plenty of bearings fail from "well maintained" campers.

Everywhere is a really big call. Does that mean the Simpson, OTT and the real challenging off-road travel or are you more into the Oodnadatta Track, Kimberley etc.

From a practical perspective we own and operate two Ultimate's, an XTrak and a Gold. Both have travelled all over Australia including the Cape, Kimberley, Simpson Desert and North Simpson without fault. We purchased them based on the following criteria; light and very strong, excellent suspension and true off-road capability, low ball weight (essential when towing off-road), internal lounge and kitchen (we travel during the colder months) and plenty of storage

Regards

Rob
AnswerID: 519375

Follow Up By: wato35 - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 14:52

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 14:52
Thanks Rob
We have travelled for 6 months in our current CT, but are now looking for something a bit smaller and easier to set up.
We are looking at the Cape one day, have already towed one accross the Gibb and other respected roads.

Wato
FollowupID: 799456

Sponsored Links