Bush Rats

Submitted: Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 14:27
ThreadID: 104624 Views:2726 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon folks we are at Bushy Parker Park north of Townsville last night the rats decided to make a nest under the bonnet of our tug cant see any damage to the wiring wondering if there is any way of keeping them out other then a cat or ratshot thanks
BJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 14:36

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 14:36
Cats don't usually like the underbonnet, but yes, shoot them if inclined.
They're nesting prior to dropping a litter. Somewhere safe and warm.

Are they the native bush rat?
Remember you are in their territory, not they in yours.
And if they do litter, it's a great life cycle story for children.
AnswerID: 519318

Reply By: Herbal - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 15:05

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 15:05
Yeah..Try to ID them first...They might be locals...:)

Try weeing on it - that is weeing in the engine bay. You might find it easier weeing in a bucket then pouring that in the engine bay. Or just wee on the ground around the car...If that fails, take a couple of vitamin B tablets wait a few hours and then wee.

And don't forget to wash your hands afterwards :)
AnswerID: 519319

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 16:16

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 16:16
Yeh... ID them first is a good idea.....all ya gota do is get em to stay still long enough to count the toes.

cheers
FollowupID: 799386

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 17:04

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 17:04
Mate...they are not in NSW...They are in QLD, they don't having counting up there yet...Evolution takes time mate :) That is why the Tally Man tallies da banana...

Day light come and me wanna go home...oh sorry...

There is three ways and 3 ways only to ID a rat that far north...1. ask him the radius of a straight banana. 2. Ask him exactly what is the rough end of a pineapple. Or 3. offer him a XXXX.

Hey msita tallie man, tallie me banana...daylight come and me wanna go home...yah oh yah yah ho ya ho...

:)...I kill my self sometimes and sometimes other people wish I would kill myself :)
FollowupID: 799389

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 19:14

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 19:14
That is why up here in QLD we don't want daylight saving .....because we have to wait another hour before we can go home.

Don't worry mate the cane toads will soon be in Sydney and ya wont have any rat problem.

That just leaves you the problem of attemptung to control a game ya still cant win without QLD players.

Oh well... NSW is a good thing......its a quaranteen zone that keeps Victorians about 800Km away from Gods own country.

Ahh well come the new parliment between Bob Catter and Clive Plamer we'll have the balance of power in the house of reps.

cheers
FollowupID: 799403

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 20:21

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 20:21
[QUOTE: "Ahh well come the new parliment between Bob Catter and Clive Plamer we'll have the balance of power in the house of reps" /UNQUOTE]

With Clive and Bob in there, we won't have to go to the Circus! - it'll come to us! - in the form of Parliamentary TV!! [;-)

http://www.aph.gov.au/News_and_Events/Watch_Parliament
FollowupID: 799411

Reply By: Member - Mike R2 - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 16:01

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 16:01
GOODAY, I found that leaving the bonnet up so that the engine remains cool during the night keeps rodents from nesting. They may run about the engine but do not stay for a gnaw or nest as it is too cold.

Regards

Mike R
AnswerID: 519324

Reply By: jimbo qld - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 16:31

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 16:31
Friends of ours that live just north of Townsville didnt know that rats had built in their RAV4 until they attended a BBQ and the owners dogs literally tore at the car to get to the rats. Over $2000 damage to the car from the dogs. Lesson learnt.
AnswerID: 519327

Reply By: Skulldug - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 17:00

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 17:00
BJ & Reen,

They like warm dark places. I agree with advice to leave your bonnet open but also leave a light on. Small led of course.

Skull
AnswerID: 519329

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 20:32

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 20:32
BJ & Reen - The Yanks have this problem endlessly - and you should know automatically, that YouTube has all the answers! [;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKcCEMVh7Rc

I can remember the brothers FIL (a farmer) had his TJ Bedford truck sitting for months at a time in his shed. It only got used at seeding time and harvest time.

One harvest he went to crank the Beddy up and the starter did a couple of turns, then everything stopped turning over!

Investigation proved the engine would turn, but the starter wouldn't. Removal of the starter found a mangled rat that had made its nest in the V between the starter pinion teeth and the flywheel ring gear teeth!
Hitting the starter wound the rat around the starter pinion, and stalled the starter out! [:-)

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 519341

Follow Up By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 20:52

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 20:52
G'day all, in the early 80's with the mouse plague then all starter motors not working were removed to clear minced mice meat to allow normal starting. Around the grain silo's live mice were 30-40c cm deep all runnin 'n climbing! Last years plague 4 - 6 thousand per hectare!! Luv the bush!! hoo roo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 799414

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 21:01

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 21:01
Aussie dingo - Yeah, nothing like the country or outback mouse plagues, is there?
I can still remember the 1974 plague we had in the W.A. Goldfields.
I caught 134 mice inside the caravan in 3 weeks! You'd set a trap, and 10 mins later, "SNAP!".
Pull the mouse out, reset the trap, and do the same again, 15 mins later!
FollowupID: 799416

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 22:42

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 22:42
Buy some of those cakes (of whatever the substance is, not sure) that are put in urinals. You know, the strong smelly stuff.

Put a few of them under the vehicle at night, at least 6 of 'em, and use gloves when you handle them.

That is what QLDers use in their houses to keep white tailed rats out.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519349

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 11:57

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 11:57
FYI - The old-style urinal cakes contain a chemical known as para-diclorobenzene (more correctly known to chemists as 1,4-dichlorobenzene).

This is the same chemical as used in mothballs. Originally, mothballs contained Napthalene. Napthalene useage in mothballs was abandoned due to high flammability. Both Napthalene and para-diclorobenzene are known carcinogens, and care in handling is advised.

Para-diclorobenzene is gradually being phased out in urinal cakes in favour of cakes containing microbial spores, which are much more environmentally-friendly.

These microbial spores are more effective in urinals, in that the spores break down the chemicals that gives urine its offensive odour - rather than just mask it, as para-diclorobenzene does.

If you buy the environmentally-friendly urinal cakes, then they won't have the strong smell as the cakes that still contain para-diclorobenzene.
AnswerID: 519369

Sponsored Links