Victoria trip

Submitted: Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 20:51
ThreadID: 104626 Views:1508 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am heading off on a 5 week trip through Victoria I was going via Albury and then west to the Grampians and then down to Portland and follow the coast back to Melbourne and then back up to Newcastle. I know it is a fair distance to travel over the 5 weeks but I was just enquiring if anyone could suggest any good locations to visit on the way.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 21:23

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 21:23
Shaz and Steve

I'd visit the towns along the Murray Valley Hwy as far as Echuca.

Then head down to Bendigo, historical goldmining town.

Then Castlemaine, Maldon Avoca Ararat Stawell Grampians - I hope you enjoy wine!

Once you leave Melbourne, I'd recommend going through Gippsland and up the Cann Valley Hwy, or even follow the Princes Hwy the whole way. The Hume is as boring as and I'd do anything to avoid it.

Having grown up in Victoria I have always spent two or three hours driving through it to get somewhere else so the idea of spending five weeks touring around it seems a bit foreign. Having said that there are some pretty interesting regions and I hope you have a great trip.

Bob
AnswerID: 519345

Reply By: krimnl - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 23:40

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 23:40
what sort of trip ? caravan , camping , 4 w driving ? lots of great place to see through the high country area but need an indication of where you can go.
AnswerID: 519427

Reply By: Shaz n Steve - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:31

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:31
We are driving and 80 series towing an Ultimate camper and we don't mind a bit of the ruff stuff
AnswerID: 519492

Reply By: krimnl - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 18:47

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 18:47
few places that come to mind

Craigs Hut is a good place to visit , you can set up camp on the king river at king hut and do a day trip up to craigs hut and over mount stirling. The tracks are good and the views amazing.

Dargo high plains road , great rip up through dargo and to mt hotham. blue rag spur also runs off this road (dont take the camper up blue rag spur) some excellent campsites around here. you can then follow the Alpine road down to Bright. one of the nicest towns in the high country.

dont forget the great ocean road and the ferry from queenscliff across the bay.

AnswerID: 519503

Sponsored Links