Comment: Icebox Coolers & Eskys

Re the Coolers and Eskys article: What is the general feeling regarding draining water regularly from ice filled coolers? We used to do it using the theory that some of the ice would be wasted trying to keep the water cold. But then cold water may be a better insulator than air. We used to use the drained cold water to pre cool the next charge of tinnies to go into the cooler. It seemed to work well over several days.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 23:14

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 23:14
Not sure of the correct answer, but I can relate a tale of some relevance.
About 10 years ago with my new lady on our first outback adventure together.

We were travelling fairly light with a small 3 way fridge for tucker and an esky for the all important brown staminade. Managed quite well with the ice lasting 2 days and then being replaced.

We had spent a few days based at Curtin Springs and one morning we were about to set off on the next stage up through Boggy Hole heading in the general direction of the Alice. Herself went off to the shop to buy ice and bread, whilst I finished packing the gear and drained off the ice cold water in readiness for the new supply of ice.

Back she came with good news and bad news ... the bread was frozen, but the water wasn't. Their ice machine had broken down the day prior. To say I was somewhat crestfallen is an understatement I can assure you. Looking at the icy cold ground and an esky full of warm beer.

T'was a long and impatient wait with one stubby resting on the cooler bar gizmo in the fridge.

So to return to your original question ... cold water is far far better than nothing.
AnswerID: 519351

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 06:39

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 06:39
Ditto - cold water far for thermally efficient than cold air.
AnswerID: 519354

Sponsored Links