Garmin Topo

Submitted: Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 21:59
ThreadID: 104629 Views:2905 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All, I purchased Garmin Topo 2009 when it was first available and whilst it worked ok, it had many flaws within it. I'm wondering if anyone has found the latest version 2013 V4 any better than the earlier versions or is it much the same! Thanks in anticipation. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 515 - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 22:25

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 22:25
Michael,
I do have v4 Garmin Topo on my Garmin 765 Nuvi it does work and on my recent Cape York trip via Maytown, it helped greatly.
It will never be as good as the Mem-Map HEMA or the OziExplorer I run on my Android Tablet.
What it does offer is some off the beaten track guidance that the tablet can't provide.
If it the only navigator you own, then update, if it's not then keep using the 2009 version.
AnswerID: 519348

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 21:26

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 21:26
Michael,

I have the Garmin Oztopo V4 and it works Ok, but is let down by the size of the small GPS 3.5" screen that I have. I think for this reason I have not been able to use the Oztopo capability to its full potential.
Your post is timely as I am just considering whether to update to Oztopo V5 and purchase a 7" Garmin GPS to run it. The Oztopo has excellent detail for the lay of the land and with the paper hema maps combo they compliment each other well for nav and planning.
I would definately like to hear any comments from anybody who has run the Garmin Oztopo and comparisons to the Hema Android app, or Hema GPS?
I guess it comes down to what is best and suits what you want to do whether it be Hema, Mud Maps, or Oztopo Garmin?

Regards Will

AnswerID: 519415

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 21:49

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 21:49
Hi

A bit of confusion here (for me at least). I thought the OP was referring to Garmins maps - Garmin TOPO Australia & New Zealand

You seem to be referring to GPSOz's - Oztopo.

There is no such product as Oztopo Garmin/Garmin Oztopo.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 799540

Reply By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 22:48

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013 at 22:48
Hi All : when you talk about problems with garmin topo maps is that on a PC or a dash top navigator ? What are the flaws ?

I have got garmin topo & shonky maps , they work very well on PC but dont show same detail on a dash top navigator no matter how i have it set .

as i understand it ... there is no update .. its just buy again !! $ 200 plus :-(

How or why is hema IYO better ?

cheers

Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 519425

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 17:58

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 17:58
There were many flaws, no roads shown when you were driving on them, roads driven on were sometimes 20 metres away, blank spots, etc. I was wondering if some of the problems had been addressed. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 799595

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 18:33

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 18:33
Micheal : what navigational device where you using them on ?
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 799598

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:49

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:49
Nick, a nuvi 765, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 799612

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 06:29

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2013 at 06:29
All,

I find it confusing as well sometimes.
I was referring to the Oztopo product for Garmin GPS units. Essentially they are maps designed as a detailed set of topographical maps. The Version 5 which only came out this year comprses of 2 mapsets, 10m contours with roads and tracks, and come with a USB flash drive for use with garmin's mapsource (PC) or BaseCamp (PC or Mac).
If you have an older version of Oztopo, you can upgrade for around $100 (www.oztopo.com.au).
You can load it onto your PC as there is a credit card code you get for access but I have not played around with this much in the past apart from get lat/longs for waypoints.
We recently did the Simpson Desert trip and a mate of mine had the Hema maps loaded on an IPAD and secured via a Ram mount on his windscreen. It worked well and was very clear, but did not have the detail of the landscape like (creeks, hills, scrub)Oztopo. For real dirt tracks, fire trails etc Oztopo seems to be better but not as easy and user friendly as the Hema app which will always cover the most popolar tracks and roads.
Personally I think I will bite the bullet and go the 7" Garmin GPS and upgrade from V4 to V5 and then also persivere with the PC program. I already have the paper Hema outback maps and enjoy the ability to unfold and look at the whole area's of travel.
The PC applicatoin is excellent for finding Lat and Longs to plug in way points.

Regards Will

AnswerID: 519432

Sponsored Links