attention: Jeff (Beddo)

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 02:27
ThreadID: 10465 Views:2629 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm new to ExploreOz, I have a 2003 hilux 3.0 TD. Searching the forum, am I correct your a local to Yengo NP? Have been 4wding in the area before (Settlers Trail & Howes Trail) & looking for new places to go. Do you know oy any 4wding around Macondald River near St Albans, or in the Parr State Recreaation Area? Also heard of "Freds Hill" track in the area, do you know of location and grade of track?
Could meet for day trip.

See ya in tha bush.
Alfred (Smithfield NSW)

PS. Where's the river your crossing in the members rig photo?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 21:51

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 21:51
The river crossing is the Pascoe River on the Frenchmans track on the way to Chilli beach, Cape York.
Fred's Hill has been closed since about 98 , though extreme 4WDers opened it up again by removing gates and signs - it has recently been closed again due to severe soil erosion and was only suitable to extreme 4WD vehicle that have been jacked up heaps, diff locks and winch - damage will occur. Anyway closed by NPWS in consultation with the 4WD association - the track was not generally accessible by the general public and it served not management purpose.

Tracks in Yengo - probably the best is along the Mt simpson, Boree, Yango tracks then Howes trail to the putty Rd. The Old Settlers Rd is open in the national park section though the eastern end has been closed by the local property owners due to council lack of effort to maintain. So you can drive from the the Putty Rd to about a couple of kms short of the bitumen then you have to turn around - you also miss out on the deep creek crossing. Contact Singelton Shire Council to support the maintenance of this trail. NPWS maintain the middle section even though it is also council responsibility - they should do it for fire management purposes aswell.
NPWS is also looking at controlled access for a number of trails aswell. 4WD clubs are presently working with NPWS re free access while doing some volunteer work - benefits both parties.
Another option would be the Old Bulga Rd.
Another good spot is an area called Big Yango - permit required - more remote trails, less people, good camping, with trails a little more difficult. Note: none of the trails found in NP's will be difficult as they have to be all maintained to a standard suitable for fire fighting ie either tankers or Cruisers with slip on units. Contact NPWS on 43 204260 and ask for the Ranger for that area - mention my name. Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 46642

Follow Up By: Alfred - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 23:40

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 23:40
Ahhhh............CAPE YORK!!!!!.............would love to go there one day/one year. I've heard good and bad about cape york (mostly good) and its definitely on my "places to go" list.
Fred's Hill sounds like no great loss for me, unless I was with mates in their 4wd who look for tracks to damage their vehicles.
Big Yango sounds interesting.Will phone NPWS for more info.
Where is Old Bulga Rd? Looked on maps and cannot find it.

Thanks 4 the info.
Alfred (Smithfield NSW)
FollowupID: 308551

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 20:17

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 20:17
Old Bulga Rd basically runs just east of the Putty Rd from a point just north of the Old Settlers Rd entrance. The track goes in to the east at a bad hairpin corner then heads into a valley and goes north up to Milbrodale (last section in private property but is Ok to do) - you will also see the Biamie Cave up at the end - large cave with a huge Aboriginal painting of a man. You would have to get topo maps for this track - you can also get in to the track at a place called Darkey Camp (marked on topo). I will have to do a trip report.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 46711

Sponsored Links