Injector cleaners...

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:19
ThreadID: 10469 Views:4131 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The topic of cleaning diesel injectors has arrisen. I use a product called Chemtech Diesel Power which claims to remove gum & varnish, disperse water droplets ( very handy because my Jack dosent appear to have a water filter on it) controls algae & bacteria & reduce diesel smoke and an added upper cylinder lubricant. The active ingredient is stated as "880 grams/litre Butoxyethanol". Ok I dont endorse or have any connection with this product but my question is do these fuel additive injector cleaners work? Do I have to physically dismantle the injectors to do the job? I'll hand this over to the experts in this forum for answers/opinions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:54

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:54
Hi Rick
You put the dosage amount in the tank every few tankfulls, and it is like a preventitive maintenance thing - it keeps things clean and in good condition.
Word of warning though, it isnt better to overdose if you forgot to put it in last tankfull, and you should get the injecters "done" by a good diesel shop if things are not working as they should (down on power, smokey or hard to start) or engine cylinder glazing will occur. Im not sure what you are driving, but if it has a VE pump (that looks a little like a distributer with injecter pipes instead of leads) then the algaie growing in the tank is the biggest problem (due to the fuel being used as lube oil and it subsequently warming it up) A good additive to use instead, (or to compare) of Chemtech is good old Nissan Diesel fuel treatment for algaie.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 46444

Follow Up By: Phil G - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 12:10

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 12:10
Andrew,

the Chemtech contains biocide too.

Phil
FollowupID: 308332

Reply By: Roachie - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 12:00

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 12:00
Rick,
I used to use that stuff too. It's expensive and most "experts" (I hate that word) I've spoken to reckon it's a waste of money. You should get your injectors adjusted (spray pattern etc) every 100,000 to 200,000klm depending on your vehicle type and type of usage (eg: a vehicle that spends countless hours ponding up and down the highway will not need attention as frequently as one which spends a lot of time in stop/start city driving or lengthy periods at idle.
I don't use it anymore, but have opted for a Morrison's De_Bug unit which I plumbed in before the fuel filter. I also have replaced my standard Patrol filter with a CAV type which has a glass bowl so I can quickly check for presence of water &/or shiat.
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 46445

Follow Up By: Phil G - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 12:15

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 12:15
Roachie,

I've used it too and have no idea whether its just recyled dogs wee or not. I only want it as a biocide.
But its not expensive. One litre treats 4000 litres of diesel, so the cost for me is about $25 for 2 years.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 308334

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:09

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:09
I've used it too and have no idea whether its just recyled dogs wee or not..

LMAO but I think you hit it on the head!!!
Same when I got my injectors done, the bloke said stay clear of the bleep , I was using Nulon injector goop...
FollowupID: 308414

Reply By: shortgq - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 13:35

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 13:35
Hi,

I have used a product called Fuel Set successsfully to kill off algae, it is also supposed to do the things you mention. I use it intermittently, (when I remember to put some in the tank) and may work as my TD42 doesn't appear to blow any smoke at all revs, starts well etc and has done over 240000k's now. It's a product that is popular in the marine industry ( so I am told).

http://www.liquideng.com.au/fuelset.html

i don't think any can replace the need for the appropriate scheduled maintenance.

rgds

AnswerID: 46455

Reply By: chrisfrd - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 14:58

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 14:58
G'day..

I've used the chemtech product for about 3 years. So far I've only bought 2 bottles of it. If you use it to their directions, a Nissan Patrol needs to have only 40ml's and 15ml's added from both-tanks empty.

I do much of my own services with the truck, and with 80,000K's on it, (a GUII 3.0TDi) there's not a patch of algae, rust or crap in the tanks. The fuel filters are really clean too. The last filter managed well over the Nissan service requirement and now that that I have a CAV (Bosch) filter, I'm never seeing any water droplets at all.

And this is from moving down from Canberra, where my fuel was always total bleep .

AnswerID: 46461

Reply By: Joe - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:19

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:19
Hello Rick,
Don't know about Chemtech but you might find this interesting.
I drove a SWB cruiser,3B engine, from Brisbane to Broome last year, it had been sitting in a shed for 18 months with a run around the block about once a month.Fuel consumption started at 21 mpg, this was a bit sad so added Wynns deisel treatment every 2nd tank, consumption gradually got better. At end of trip I was getting 27 mpg. sitting around fof 18 months probably didn't do the fuel system any good, so the Wynns treatmentmost likely cleaned it up a bit. Did have to change fuel filter, this is normal.

Joe
AnswerID: 46575

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:26

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:26
We used to use it in our trucks but stopped as it didn't seem to make any difference. Now we just get the pump & injecters done if & when needed.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 46621

Follow Up By: Member - Slim - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 01:46

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 01:46
Bob,

I think this subject will always attract believers and non believers.
I have asked many people whose opinions I would respect and I must say they are about 50/50.
I use an American additive made by Lucas Oils and I find the motor seems to spin a little sweeter. I don't notice any improvement to consumption and my vehicle is yet to need any maintenance on the injectors or any other parts of the fuel system.

Regards,

Slim
FollowupID: 308691

Sponsored Links