Introducing myself

Submitted: Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 17:56
ThreadID: 104713 Views:2139 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, being a new member to this forum, I wish to introduce myself and offer a short resume.
My name is Brian, hence the alias, the 01 bit was the site's idea.
I am a retired Electrical Engineer with many years spent in the design and construction of extra low voltage (ELV) and low voltage (LV) transmission and operating systems.
For the uninitiated - ELV is AC up to 50v or DC up to 120v,
LV is AC from 50v up to 1000v or DC from 120v up to 1500v.
Anything higher than that, I leave to someone else.
Much of my time was devoted to regional pipeline corrosion mitigation involving remote cathodic protection systems with both small and large battery and solar installations plus the implementation of electrical distribution for regional housing.
Being involved in distant work necessitated the learning of many skills and acquiring of numerous licences in order to legally manage and carry out the required tasks.
Thus I also hold a current Electrical contractor's licence plus restricted Builder's and Plumber's licences, but no, I don't want any jobs on the side..
I have spent many decades both four wheel driving and caravanning over much of this marvellous country.
Until recently, being trepidated by retirement, I filled in some of my spare time installing solar on RVs for a local sales outlet or assisting an auto electrician friend when required, so have a reasonable working knowledge of the requirements of RV electrical systems.
Then I learned to relax.... Well maybe not completely, so, apart from repairing a few CPAP machines for a local supplier, I'm now officially unemployed and retired
I trust that I will be able to contribute positively to the forum, and hopefully the old dog is not past learning a few new tricks as well.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: allein m - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:22

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:22
Brian welcome some fantastic people here and the knowledge base is vast and varied if you have a open mind and I am sure you do you will do fine

if you ever need any information about broken hill just let me know if I can help you i will

I am also retired due to a spinal injury
AnswerID: 519694

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:32

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:32
Thank you for your welcome, sorry to learn of your injury and hope it doesn't restrict you too much.
I've been through BH a few times but never really spent much time there, I thank you for the offer of assistance.
FollowupID: 799901

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 19:50

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 19:50
Hello and Welcome Brian

You have to tell us where you like to go driving and what sort of adventure you like , the site has many from Full time caravanners to those like me who are to lazy to put up a tent and sleep in the car wherever the bush starts.

I love to know how you learn to relax - just semi retired myself after decades as an R&D engineer and still find I have to investigate everything, which often leads to interesting debates.

Today I was allowed out and my mission list included buying some dog food - and when I got home I explained to my wife that this new brand had more digestible protein than her brand and was cheaper to - not sure if I will be allowed to go again.

So if you ever find the secret let us know - could be a good subject for a post.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519700

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 21:08

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 21:08
Hello Robin, thanks for the welcome.
We enjoy all sorts of travel, we've done a fair bit of overseas stuff, just back from Africa, off to British Columbia for Xmas.
We have done a lot of 4WDriving and camping over the years, under the stars, swags, tents and these days a 5 star caravan.
Very very rarely in van parks, almost always bush camping, fishing etc.

We haven't tried the dog food diet yet, perhaps you can tell me which ones taste the best.
I too love debates, although the boss calls them arguments, we had one the other day when I was cooking.
She tells me the thing that was beeping on the ceiling is not an egg timer as I thought but a smoke alarm. I might seek a second opinion, but for now I'm not allowed near the stove.
I really haven't learned to relax, and don't think I ever will, life's too short to just sit around.
FollowupID: 799922

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 13:37

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 13:37
hi robin
you seriously are running the risk of been tied up on the dogs chain and made to sleep in the dogs house and eat that newly discovered hi-protein tucker,
mate you are a very brave little puppy
I get visions of you licking your lips and been reluctantly satisfied !!!!!!!!!!
cheers
FollowupID: 799971

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 21:58

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 21:58
Brian - Welcome to the site, and thanks for putting up your impressive credentials, and offering to share your extensive, and no doubt, hard-earned knowledge.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 519707

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 22:10

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 22:10
Hello Ron, and thank you also for the warm welcome.
The credentials are certainly hard earned.
I'm not sure if they're sufficiently extensive to impress, but I love a good debate and never let the facts get in the way. (wish you had some smiley face icons on here)
FollowupID: 799931

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 22:13

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 22:13
Well I certainly got a few posts in there. The site is very slow and seems to lock up frequently.
Is this normal?
FollowupID: 799939

Follow Up By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 22:27

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 22:27
Par for the course. Well done.
FollowupID: 799940

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 14:30

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 14:30
Brian,

All fixed

Regards

The ModSquad

Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 799973

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 16:10

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 16:10
Thanks for that, I'll try my best not to break it again. lol
FollowupID: 799982

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 14:08

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 14:08
hi brian 01
and welcome
it's a great site -more people onsite is better imho
you will no doubt be able to offer some good advice from time to time with your vast field of knowledge not only in the electrical fields but on travel etc as well
which will be greatly appreciated by most participants
there's discussions on electrics just about every few days on this site I have seen some go on for a considerable amount of time depending I suspect at times on how many drinks some have had until they get there points across and outwit the other bloke
no insults intended fellows with that remark
it's just my warped sense of humour coming into play!
I often find it quiet amusing sometimes it goes on like two blokes in a pub who are getting towards closing time and are hell bent on proving they know more than the other
they must just about wear the skin off the ends of their fingers typing ?
some of it is very interesting and also very technical
I always say if you can learn at least one thing every day then anything on top of that is a bonus
just keep breathing in and out /looking and listening with a deaf filter at the ready!
all due respects but it cracks me up
enjoy the site
cheers
AnswerID: 519732

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 18:55

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 18:55
Thanks for the welcome AND the warning Mazcan.
I always offer good, sound advice.
Well... It's advice that sounds good to me, whether others think so remains to be seen.
I'm no stranger to electrical "discussions" and quite enjoy a good one as long as it remains civil.
I've even been known to learn a thing or two from time to time.
It can be very difficult at times to explain technical things in lay terms, but it's always worth a try.
Sometimes you get canned for even trying, but that's life.
FollowupID: 799991

Sponsored Links