Southern cross canvas, king dome swag.

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 00:03
ThreadID: 104718 Views:18754 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, I am considering purchasing a southern cross king dome swag, I've read up a bit about them, they seem like a top quality swag, just thought I'd ask on here, as maybe some of you own one, what do you think of them overall?
How do they perform?
Are they comfortable?
Also, darche have reintroduced there cold mountain sleeping bag in a double size, considering the sleeping bag is 1.4m wide and the swag is 1.56m wide I think the two would be a perfect match for a good nights sleep?
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 01:34

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 01:34
I have a SC King Dome swag.
Brilliant bit of gear, top notch quality like all the stuff SC make, they are at the higher end of the price scale but the service life of SC stuff more than covers the cost.

Big roomy, easy access, no negatives to mention.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519713

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 06:50

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 06:50
I don't have a SC swag but I do have a SC tent which is fantastic, do doubt.

I looked at the SC swag but it was a bit pricey for me. I ended up with a similar dome swag by Kulkyne which is great. Great quality canvas and sets up in seconds. The queen dome is similar to the one you are looking at.

Kulkyne dome swags

If you haven't made up your mind do consider these.
AnswerID: 519715

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 08:11

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 08:11
Hi War Machine

We have had a top quality South Australian made double swag for well over 20 years and you just can not wear it out. The sway was a traditional type swag, no fly mesh, just rill it out and hop in.

One thing that Fiona a paranoid out is snakes and in January this year we had an issue with a nice little Tiger Snake in our camp down the Yorke Peninsula, and the only way to get Fiona feeling safe was to go for a Southern Cross Dome double.

Like I said my old faithful was just perfect, and we were very skeptical the fire time we slept in the Southern Cross..would it be as comfortable, what would it be like fully enclosed etc.

The end verdict.............we scored the new Southern Cross 200 out of 100, the best swag by a country mile, far more comfortable and as cosy as a bug in a rug.

Go the Southern Cross and you will never regret your purchase one moment.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519717

Follow Up By: War Machine - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 16:20

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 16:20
Good stuff, ill be checking one out in person soon so it should be good, just one question, do the swags come with a carry bag, or do they sell them as an extra?
Reason being, If I'm going to invest in such a quality product I'd like to take good care of it, thanks.
FollowupID: 800237

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 19:16

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 19:16
Hi WM

No the Southern Cross did not come standard with a carry bag. This is not a problem to me, as we always carry the swag inside our vehicle, so it is not exposed to the elements when travelling.

Even ifit wax carried on the outside of a vehicle, it still should not be a problem, as the canvas is on the inside, and the heavy PVC floor is on the outside, which is very easy to clean.

I know that the other swag above come with a handy carry bag, but I can not comment on its quality. Last year on our trip, 2 of the group has the larger Southern Cross single swags and were wrapped with them. Both of them had purchased the SC swags for their quality and comfort. i say comfort for a very good reason, as both guys had high quality Australian made similar swags, even with thicker mattresses. They both said that the SC was far more comfortable, and easier to get into and out of.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 800261

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 19, 2013 at 01:39

Saturday, Oct 19, 2013 at 01:39
SC make a heavy canvas bag to suit as an extra.
I carry my swag on the roof rack and the bag keeps the dust & crap out.
Ask them for details.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 800293

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 15:53

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 15:53
I'll comment here to support the SC dome swag although I don't own one. Like Stephen, we've always been swag campers but came to a point where we needed a new style - so upgraded to the dome. Here in Perth, we did a quick shop around and picked up the Boab Territory (sold by Ray's Outdoors). The SC wasn't seen in our local stores but I had checked some reviews online and found it was considered "identical" to the SC. This style of swag is a big improvement and just want we needed - more room, greater comfort. It was also on special so we grabbed it. Upon meeting up with Stephen and Fiona on our recent August trip to Maralinga, we noticed they had the SC dome so I was able to make some comparisons. If I had my money/time again I think I'd buy the SC one. The main problem with the Boab is that it doesn't have a full side opening on BOTH sides. It is deceptive, it appears that both sides are identical with full mesh openings and one side fully zips undone. The other side doesn't unzip at all but you can unzip at the head and crawl out (over your pillow??). It's not just a hassle for getting out, but you can't close the flap if the moonlight gets too bothersome, or you need to seal off rain or wind draft. I liked our AOS swag in that we could easily unzip a portion of the mesh and put your hand out to reach the canvas and flick it back over the mesh. Not being able to do that from my side on the Boab made sleeping with the canvas flap open a pain in the neck because I'd have to wake up David (which is like waking up a bear, believe me!) if I needed my side closed. So go for the SC - it seems to have ticked all the boxes and you get what you pay for (the Boab is considerably cheaper). Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 519809

Sponsored Links