Tube repairs

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 13:23
ThreadID: 10473 Views:2024 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all, can anyone give me some info on what patches they use to repair tubes these days? I carry a couple of spare tubes, and used to use the vulcanizing patches, but I can’t get them anywhere, something to do with the sulphur content I was told. What type and brand are any good?
The only 2 types I’ve seen are rubber patches with the glue type, or the blue chemical type that use the solvent. I don’t want to get some and find out the hard way they don’t do the job. If the blue chemical type patch is the way to go, can you tell me if I really need to get the cleaning solvent they recommend as well? I know ARB sell a tyre repair kit, but I just want info on getting the patches separately.

Any help or comments appreciated

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter Guy - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:38

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:38
Glenn the good old fashioned glue and rubber patch has always worked for me.
The best thing to do is to buy the glue in the smallest size tubes and you can get them from bicycle shops as the glue evaporates very quickly once opened.
I have had a bad experience once finding the large 3/4 full tube completely empty after just 6 months!
So the half a dozen small tubes unopened are the way to go long term.
Cheers and I hope you don't have to use them!!
Peter Guy
AnswerID: 46472

Reply By: whyworry - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:12

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:12
got my glue & patches from local tyre mob 25 patches tin of glue and advice on best way to apply them $25 oh 10 valves for $1 to. good luck.
AnswerID: 46499

Sponsored Links