McKillops Bridge in a Soft Roader

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 14:34
ThreadID: 10475 Views:4744 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me what the access to McKillops Bridge is like? I'll be driving a Nissan X-Trail, so I don't have the luxury of low range. Thinking of going in March, if that make any difference. Any info on what else is around that general area would also be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 14:42

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 14:42
I did it many years ago in:
Fiat 124 sports (winter)
Falcon XE (summer)
Subaru awd (winter)
Need I say more?
Gerry
AnswerID: 46460

Reply By: Penguin - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 15:14

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 15:14
You will be fine if you approach from the East or West. Just don't even think of coming from the South (Deddick Trail) without low range. There's a huge camping area near the bridge.

It's worth a trip to Seldom Seen to view the remains of the servo that was burnt out last summer. Interesting people! You could go on to the Moscow Villa Hut for another night. Good campground there too. Go there via Glenmore Road.

Sorry I'm a bit scratchy about further directions. SWMBO was navigating!

Have Fun
AnswerID: 46462

Reply By: Wombat - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 15:57

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 15:57
Hacksaw,

We did it in a SWB Vitara years ago and had no worries. One of my favourite spots in Victoria. Just take your time and be careful of oncoming vehicles and you'll be right in the X."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 46464

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:01

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:01
You won't have a problem. Done it in sedans & 4wd's on a few different occasions.
Even did it in a Datsun 180B Once back in the early '80's. Great trip, Great views, Great country. MCkillops Bridge is a good place to camp as well.
Have fun

PMK

Next trip please..............................................
AnswerID: 46496

Reply By: Member - Des - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:06

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:06
Fabulous area, although badly burnt in last year's fires. All the roads into the area are very attractive: Black Mtn Rd from Benambra passes Mt Cobberas and Native Dog Flat (one of the most the idyllic campsites in Vic); Barry Way from Jindabyne through wild and spctacular Snowy R country, with great views (good camping by the Snowy near the NSW/Vic border); road from Orbost/Bonang/Deddick follows the Deddick Valley, also spectacular; and the road from Buchan is also scenic. The descent from Seldom Seen/Wulgulmerang to the river is one of the great drives in the State. All of these are 2WD.

With the petrol station at Seldom Seen closed, take plenty of fuel (maybe a jerry): the nearest fuel is Benambra, Jindabyne, Gelantipy or Bonang.

Download brochures, etc, for Snowy R NP from Parks Victoria.

Enjoy your trip.

AnswerID: 47679

Sponsored Links