Comment: Simpson Desert

G'day,
I'm going on a one year trip around the country, starting this December ! It's going to be me and my old man in my modified 105 series LC. As a part of the trip were planning to cross the Simpson from Birdsville to Mt. Dare beginning of April 2014. We have to be in Alice Springs no later than the 20th of April 2014.
Is there anybody else here planning to cross the Simmo at about the same time? We're only one car, fully equipped, but it would be nice to be part of a little convoy just in case something happens.
Would be nice to meet a few friendly people out there!
Cheers,
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 19:49

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 19:49
Hi Steve

It may be autumn in the Southern States, but it will still be very warm out in the Simpson at that times of the year, with temperatures either in the high 30's or low 40's.

Tracks in some sections will be blown over and the sand very soft. Make sure that as a bare minimum, you have a good long handle shovel, and a set of Maxtraks, both will get a good work out. Tyre pressure wise, I would start around 12psi and that will help you greatly.

Carry extra fuel and water, as the hotter temperatures and soft sand will eat into your usual fuel economy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519873

Sponsored Links