Windscreen tinting strip - Perth

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 16:31
ThreadID: 104761 Views:2842 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend a good place in Perth I can get my Landcruisers windscreen tinted. Obviously just the strip at the top of the windscreen. I'm tired of my hands and forearms getting fried on long trips!

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:02

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:02
You could try any tinting place or sign writer, btw you might want to check with the men in blue to the legality of it.

A strip across the top will have little effect on reducing the sun hitting you forearms and hands....... unless you covered the who window.
AnswerID: 519866

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:07

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:07
Thanks mate, fair call but it's such a bloody huge windscreen anything to help cut down the UV and glare coming through on a long drive would help.

Cheers
FollowupID: 800165

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:19

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:19
Cruiser - Here's the link to the regulations. You're not allowed to tint more than 10% of the windscreen, and the tint must not intrude into the area swept by the wipers. That makes for a pretty narrow band!

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFAQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wfaanz.org.au%2FLiteratureRetrieve.aspx%3FID%3D118118&ei=jX9fUufgLMfMkwWVoIHABQ&usg=AFQjCNGaEGCUSqT1blXvCL55cFrJSXS2Kg&sig2=koprbdHePc-OaQcHjuC_0A&bvm=bv.54176721,d.dGI

I haven't had any window tint done for a long time, so I can't recommend anyone. Window tint crowds tend to go through high staff turnover, so the whole deal is a bit hit-and-miss. Just try and watch any operator who is installing tint to see if he's exceptionally fussy about glass cleaning, trimming, and general care in application.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 519867

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:24

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:24
Ahhh .. forgot to mention, there are varying degrees of tint quality. The best ones are the ones that contain a metallic element that reduces UV and heat transmission by a large degree.
Go for a "brand name" such as 3M, rather than the Chinese equivalent, and you'll notice a big difference between them.

http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3M/en_AU/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/
FollowupID: 800167

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 18:13

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 18:13
Hi Ron,

Wow thanks for that info. It's left me scratching my head a bit as I have removed the stock wipers and wiper arms and replaced them with much larger ones. They pretty much wipe the whole windscreen to the top but would probably leave about 2% of it untouched at the top. I'm not sure how this would be viewed by the police. If I went with the 10% rule I would be in breach of the windscreen rule. Too hard basket I think! Thanks for your response!

Craig
FollowupID: 800170

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 18:50

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 18:50
You could fit a mesh exterior sunvisor. They're very effective at shading the cabin, and the mesh eliminates a lot of the drag suffered by the old solid metal sunvisors.

However, they do tend to increase wind noise a little at hwy speeds, and they do tend to affect fuel consumption a little, as well.

Possibly the only downside that could apply in your situation is that they have a tendency to catch overhanging branches when you're bush-bashing on narrow, overgrown tracks.
Whether that's a major hassle to you is a matter of personal choice, I guess.

http://www.roofrack.com.au/Products/MOREACCESSORIES/Sunvisors.aspx
FollowupID: 800171

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 19:05

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 19:05
Great idea and they look pretty tidy as well. Only problem for me is that I drive a 1HZ STD Diesel which already has a roofrack which increases drag, noise and fuel consumption. It's actually not as bad as I had originally anticipated but it's there. The last thing I need is bolting on something that is going to make that worse even by a little bit. I think I might just stick to long sleeves, a hat and a great pair of sunglasses!

Cheers
FollowupID: 800174

Reply By: Ingtar - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 16:46

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 16:46
Some aftermarket windscreens have the top section tinted already. Replacing your windscreen might be a bit drastic, but it's an option.

Also consider contacting a sign writer - they have some interesting materials in various opaqueness.

Either way, I think as long as you stick within the 10% rule it would be unlikely to be penalised for it.

Good Luck,
Brad

b6Vpw
AnswerID: 519929

Sponsored Links