landcruiser thermatic fan

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:06
ThreadID: 10479 Views:2680 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this question, sorry if it isnt.

I wish to replace the clutch fan in my petrol 3F motor FJ-62 with an electric fan. Was wondering if anyone here might know a good choice of fan for this job(car model).....

Cheers
Mark
Adelaide
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:20

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:20
Newt,
I know this option has been looked at for other vehicles and the advice has always been that the viscous coupled fan is more efficient than the thermatic fan. The thermatic fan runs on electricity generated by the alternator - so in effect you are starting with energy at the pulley, converting it to electrical energy, and then converting pack to energy at the fan. Each conversion involves loss of energy as heat. Better just to run the fan off the pulley, and being viscously coupled, it only spins when needed.Bob
AnswerID: 46468

Reply By: donk - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:25

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:25
Mark

Why do you want to replace the fan with a electric type ???????????????

Regards Don
AnswerID: 46470

Reply By: theNEWT - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:40

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:40
I guess there are a couple of reasons why I wish to change over. I have installed electric fans on vehicles of mine before, such as 2 rally cars and one fj-40 each with great success. The engine is much quieter and the fan only comes on when need be. I have never had a bother and a turn of the screwdriver can alter switching temperature, very convenient.

Its not obligatory for me to change the fan of course, but the fj-62 I have now has a faulty clutch fan that I have tried to rebuild and it refuses to cooperate. I would rather fit an electric and be done with the problems. I have a new thermatic switch in stock I have never used, so thats a bonus.

Just wondering if anyone has fitted an electric, saves me mucking about at the wreckers to find one that fits.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 46473

Reply By: Roachie - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 17:00

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 17:00
Mark,
I've looked at this as an option on my Patrol, but went cold on the idea after reading the problems; mainly that they don't like water (as in river crossings etc).
I have actually fitted a 10" Davies Craig fan in front of the aircon condenser next to the factory one, to aid with cooling on real hot days. Davies Craig make 12" and 14" as well (maybe even bigger??) and if you're not into water crossings, these could be the go for your needs. They have a web site and I know the local AutoPro shop stocks them and/or can get them in. You then have a choice of whether to hook it/them up together or separately. Also whether to use a probe (or whatever it's called) in the radiator hose to act as a therostat to switch them on/off or simply rely on your own judgement of looking at the temp gauge to decide when to manually switch them on. I know a bloke who put 2 on his Rangie. One was hooked up to come on automatically, whilst the other eas on a switch he could control.
You'd have to muck around with things like cowlings etc if you got 2 separate ones.
Good luck
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 46475

Reply By: whyworry - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:01

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:01
Go for it. I put 1 in my rangie when i put a nissan diesel in it hardly ever use it even in summer in Qld. I used one out of a dead peugeot 505 diesel a real scremer so I dont leave it on. good luck.
AnswerID: 46497

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)