Rock Tamers

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 20, 2013 at 22:37
ThreadID: 104805 Views:4335 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all.

Has anyone got the Rock Tamers and added there mesh insert? How does go in preventing the rocks bouncing up on the van?

Cheers

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 07:34

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 07:34
Hi Greg,

Isn't it interesting that the Mesh insert has now been added to give protection in off-road situations.
I have a set of Rock Tamers but had no confidence in them when I observed stones being flung "sideways" when traveling on dirt/gravel roads.
Seemed to protect my camper but I was concerned about oncoming traffic and the damage that could be caused by me to them.

I removed the Tamers and purchased a Stone Stomper guard.
This system really really works and I am most comfortable in its performance.

As for the Stone Stompers, why should I have to spend $50 to add an accessory to overcome the original design problems?
If the mesh works of course.
From my observations (hard while driving) the stones seamed to be bouncing off the flaps and ejected outwards, between the wheels and the flap. Didn't matter what angle I set the flaps at. The result was a 'V' shaped pattern which, while protecting the camper, would cause potential problems for other vehicles passing, or approaching from the other direction.
I fail to see how mesh in the middle would stop this.

In my opinion the Stone Stompers work, the Rock Tamers don't.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520085

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 09:09

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 09:09
Another vote for the Stone Stompers - been to Cape York, Lawn Hill and other places, with no damage to either the car or camper...simple things sometimes work the best!

Chris
FollowupID: 800473

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:19

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:19
Just on your comments about stones being ejected out the sides Sand Man, I wonder if those sorts of stone guards would fall foul of ADR rules?
FollowupID: 800478

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:23

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:23
Hi,

I am currently doing my research on Stone Stomper vs Rock Tamers. As I understand it, the way the Stone Stomper works is that the stones are deflected by the mesh under the van. What sort of stone damage is done to the underneath of the van particularly any plumbing/ wiring? I would luv to hear from those of you that have them fitted.

Thanks Kevin
FollowupID: 800618

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:50

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:50
Hi Kevin

I've not had Rock Tamers - although a friend has. They seem to work by deflecting stones that hit them (hopefully) away from the car/trailer. Given that there is a gap between them and the road (i.e. they don't drag on the ground) I suppose there is the potential for stones to "escape" and hit the trailer. The Stone Stomper attaches to the back of the car via a bar that attaches to your tow bar, then a mesh mat goes from there under the draw bar to the front of your trailer. This basically stops stones from actually getting to the trailer and also protects the draw bar. The Stone Stomper goes under any wiring that is around the draw bar - do it doesn't interrupt any of that. Below is a pic of how it fits our trailer.

The thing is held between the trailer and car by bungee cord, which expands as the car turns...

Chris
FollowupID: 800622

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 17:09

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 17:09
Kevin,

Because the mesh extends all the way from the rear of the vehicle to the front of the trailer, any stones, etc. have lost most of their velocity before they reach the trailer/van.

It is plain to see how well the Stone Stomper works by the fact that very little dirt and dust is sucked onto the rear of the vehicle, or the front of the trailer or van being towed.

I have not noticed any stone damage to the underside of my camper, but then again, it is an off road trailer designed to go off road.

The Stone Stomper is simply the best I have come across.
The only time I have removed it is on the odd occasion where mud would stick to it and drag it down.
It is simple to disconnect and reconnect and this uncommon task presents no problem at all.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 800625

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:39

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:39
And another vote for the Stone Stomper. The Rock Tamer also adds to your fuel consumption
AnswerID: 520096

Follow Up By: tg123 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:51

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:51
Go the Stone Stomper! Easy to fit, works a treat and Christian is a great person to deal with!
Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 800623

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (WA) - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 13:40

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 13:40
Another vote for Stone Stompers. I had Rock Tamers and they stopped about 80% of the rock damage to the camper. Changed to Stone Stompers and reduced the damage to zero.
AnswerID: 520102

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 15:43

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 15:43
Yep

Stone Stomper yet again. Plus I noted the mat seems to have a blanket effect in substantially reducing the amount of dust on the back of the towing vehicle.

Looks a tad weird and I found the shock cord needs replacing fairly regularly but does the job well.
AnswerID: 520108

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 16:31

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 16:31
Hi Rosco

We (unfortunately) shredded our Stone Stomper on the last trip - as the "U" bolt on one side came off and it dragged on the road for about 400km. I thought it was a write-off, and ended up driving home with it on top of the draw bar (see below).

I sent them an email with this photo - and it was $90 to fix it...including postage back...bottom line is that it's back good as new! Brilliant.

FollowupID: 800492

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:59

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:59
Have a stone stomper as well and think they are great..

Only problem is mud......but you are usually going fairly slow anyway, so just take it off on these rare occurences..

Chris, I wonder why you use your stomper over the top of the drawbar ??? it would certainly help with the mud problem, but wouldn't stop the drawbar etc from getting peppered with stones !!
FollowupID: 800514

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 19:54

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 19:54
Hi Gronk

I put it over the draw bar as it was damaged so badly during the last trip that it was permanently dragging on the ground...this was the only way that I could get it home with some sort of protection for the camper!

Cheers

Chris
FollowupID: 800525

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 19:00

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 19:00
G'day Chris

I think it's fair to say it's fairly well stuffed. Good follow-up by the manufacturers though.
AnswerID: 520121

Sponsored Links