I hope all of our blue mountains members are safe and well

Submitted: Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 15:37
ThreadID: 104809 Views:1457 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am not sure how many out there are from the fire area but i hope you are all safe and well and my condolences to those who have lost homes and such.

It looks totally scarey just watching this on the news I would not like to be living there at present.

It is going to a bad summer for fires we should all take heed and if we are close to the bush prepare now before it is too late.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 17:05

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 17:05
We've lost 9 houses out of around 25 in my street including my neighbours. The fire has left a ring of scorched earth around the house but thanks to colour bond fencing and decent water pressure through the garden hose I saved the house but lost a studio close to the fence. It's devastating to talk with the people who have lost everything except the clothes they have on. We are super fire wise up here but this one was the worst any of us had seen, unbelievably quick. It was pure luck I was home or mine would have been gone too. Cheers
AnswerID: 520113

Follow Up By: allein m - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 17:15

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 17:15
so far no one has died and that is amazing thanks for replying and I am so happy you were able to save your home

stay safe I am sure many are thinking of you

take care
FollowupID: 800498

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:46

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:46
Actually, Allein, there has been at least one reported death.

Thanks Mikehzz... I hope you and your loved ones are coping OK and safe as can be...

The "thanks" is for reminding or informing people of just how fast these fires can move. Some years ago I along with about 50 other people were caught in the path of a full on fire storm. I can vouch that if you are scrambling to get in your car to get out...it's too late!

Your car is NOT fast enough to outrun that fire storm.

In my case, I am not sure if I am allowed to talk about it or not. So I wont give "exposing" details. I was manning the radio on a firing range (Army). I got a call in ordering a complete and immediate evacuation...It was clear blue sky, no clouds, no smoke...nothing. We were aware of near by bush fires but none were of any concern...But follow orders I did, and we evacuated the area.

By the time we had all persons accounted for (about 2 minutes) the wall of fire was on us...and I can tell you those flames can and do outrun cars...We all got out OK....just !

I know it is shallow comfort, but once you get through this, ya mates will be there...Ausies are like that, we will do what ever we can to stop you going down...and we will always be there to pick you up !

Thoughts and prayers are with you all.
FollowupID: 800512

Follow Up By: allein m - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 19:23

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 19:23
there has been at least one reported death

not good news thanks for that and condolences to the family

I can only hope no more one is too many
FollowupID: 800520

Reply By: Life Member TourBoy, Bundaberg - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:02

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:02
Yes, our thoughts are with you all. After growing up in Winmalee and being in the RFS for 20 odd years I know what you are facing. We still have relatives and a great many friends some of which have come so close to losing everything in Springwood, Winmalee and Clarence and I wish you all a speedy recovery and I wish i was able to be there to help.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520117

Reply By: Garry S3 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:56

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:56
Its devastating to see this on the news everyday.

I have come accross a few way which you can donate some money for the victims. However, does anyone if there's other way we can donate other stuff like food, furniture or help especially in rebuilding?

RFS is calling tomorrow The Day due to high temperature and strong wind. All the best to you guys up there.
AnswerID: 520171

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:03

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:03
People are amazing I can r ember the Canberra bush fires I was in wagga and a local radio station said any one who has spare household items they have one truck that has offered to take the items to Canberra in the end I think they had 3 or 4 truck loads

no problem other trucks offered there truck and time free all in a matter of 24 hour s

It is times like this the fantastic spirit and good side of people stand out

looks like tomorrow is going to be a big day there again stay safe if in doubt leave home and get to a shelter.

FollowupID: 800590

Reply By: Quickboats - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2013 at 16:20

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2013 at 16:20
Yes, we all wish everyone's safety and our thoughts and prayers to the people who have lost their homes and affected by the fires. Also, let's not forget to give thanks to the brave blokes and ladies who have put themselves on the line to keep lives and properties safe.
AnswerID: 520252

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2013 at 21:38

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2013 at 21:38
Quickboats I agree I see there is some posts out asking people who have pools in the area to clearly mark they with red cross if possible

I see the army have also started a accidental fire also any one got any idea on Denman army base my wife used to live there it is some sort of huge ammunition dump there
FollowupID: 800691

Sponsored Links