Kimberley Kamper trailer vs Adventure Offroad trailer

Submitted: Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 16:53
ThreadID: 104811 Views:3775 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I'm looking for a Bit of advice from owners of the above camper trailers. I've narrowed it down to these two campers but having trouble with the decision in which one to purchase. Both are pretty different trailers each with there own pros and cons.

I've found a couple of previous threads on here but not a lot. Looking for info from actual owners and with any tips.

Thanks

Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: shanegu6 - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 16:56

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 16:56
I should also say that it is towed behind a 2005 td42 patrol with wife and 3 kids aged 8, 5 and 1. We've had the full size caravan with triple bunks and been around Oz on a 2 year jaunt. Have sold the van and am looking for a camper trailer now.
AnswerID: 520111

Follow Up By: Hunjy100 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:04

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:04
Hi Shane
We have used both and own the adventure pilbara.
KK is fantastic no hassles kamper that tough as.. We went away for 3 weeks with 2 adults and 2 kids 7 and 9 at the time and used the attachable kids tent which just pushed into the main tent area of the kk before fold up but took at bit of effort to close up but very do-able. Our kids slept side by side in the kids tent and that took up pretty well all of the floor area. If you were doing it then one would probably sleep in the fold out section.
If you use the kids tent then the site footprint will need to be a bit bigger than with the adventure.

The Pilbara is also tough as nails too with a trip up to the cape last year resulting in no damage or repairs when we got home (Newcastle). Our kids now 9 and 11 sleep on stretchers in the soft floor area and leaves a small area left for clothes bags. You would have to have a double bunk. That would be really the only improvement I would like is that the tent should be a bit longer.

There is more storage room in the adventure for kids crap and the kitchen is more convenient plus it has a 60 litre fridge where the kk only had a 40 litre fridge.

The kk is capable of having reading lights permanently fixed and is also capable of diesel heating etc.

The adventure has more steps to set up than the kk but with the kk's kids tent, setup time would be similar.

The only thing that I see for you is the sleeping arrangements.

Mal
FollowupID: 800591

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:49

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:49
The KK is a great trailer, but if I had 3 kids, it wouldn't be the trailer for me..( I've owned 2 of them )..

As for the Adventure , if it has plenty of floor space for kids bunks ( or whatever they sleep on ) then it may be OK..

Lots of kids and soft floor trailers seem to be the most popular way of trailer camping !!
AnswerID: 520119

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 19:08

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 19:08
I don't know anything about the Adventure off road, we are very happy owners of a KK, upgrading to it when our 3 kids started leaving home.

I second the comments that a large off road soft floor would be more suitable for a young family. Yes you can get a KK family room add on, but they are fiddly, reduce "packed up" storage space and possibly take longer to set up than a decent soft floor.

What we like about the KK is the ease of set up pack up (compared to soft floor), for the two of us, as well as other issues mentioned here.
FollowupID: 800515

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:51

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:51
Hi Shane
We had a KK and found it to be indestructible. Also towed behind a TD4.2 patrol. No issues with it at all.
loved the way it towed and was able to be setup. Would go where ever the patrol went.

And the Roo that got between the patrol and the KK cam off 2nd best. We were doing about 90k when it jumped between both vehicles. Did bend the stone guard a tad and paint scratch with claws or bones.

Now have an off roader van and pulling it with a 6500 TD patrol. (brunswick conversion)
AnswerID: 520120

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 22:29

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 22:29
Agree with the above...the KK is a top unit but with 3 kids, you'd be tripping over each other at times. As I recall, the Trakshak and Adventure types offer more room for families but of course setup and pack up takes longer.
AnswerID: 520146

Follow Up By: Lachie - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 09:25

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 09:25
We had a Track shack with our family and then sold it for a KK when the kids left the nest.
The track shack unfolds like a brief case or a book so you have two double beds up high and a massive floor area on the ground. We used to call it the Taj Mahal. Great for the kids ( plus other kids ) to play games in on those unpleasant days while the adults could read on the above beds.
It is also quite light (that was a 90's model ). I could tow it over sand dunes etc no trouble at all with the prado when the KK will pull me up like a lead weight.

The KK is really good for the two of us though. Probably the greatest advantage is how quick it is to set up and the kitchen area.
Lachie
FollowupID: 800573

Reply By: Member - D&G SA - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:15

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:15
We have had an Adventure for 3 years - very happy after trips to Gibb River, Birdsville, Cameron Corner etc.

the great feature is the kitchen and the storage. Also have a look at the roof storage areas. On the Adventure we carry extra spare tyres, and firewood. When we set up camp that can all stay there. on the Kimberley I believe you have to take it all off the rack and then repack again in the morning. Too hard for us. The adventure king size bed is great.
AnswerID: 520173

Reply By: Maz66 - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 00:33

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 00:33
Hi a late addition to the thread. We have recently purchased a 2013 Limited Edition KK, moving up from two OzTent RV4s. We also have three kids 7, 9and 11 and simply use one of the Oztents for the kids. It takes about 2 mins extra to put up (fold out plus 7pegs and one rope tied to the KK Floor). When traveling the oztent just sits on the KK. We set if the tent just under the KK awning at the back so it acts as a wall to that end. We have only done a couple of short shakedown trips but the setup works a treat and gives the kids some room (enough for 3 stretcher beds plus all their stuff. As per the other posts in our short use to date we have found the setup and pack up fantastic and all v comfy.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520917

Sponsored Links