Toyota V8 exhaust mod

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:55
ThreadID: 104820 Views:4446 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
One for the Tojo V8 lads/lassies with a modified exhaust (search revealed nought).

I'm considering it as I've been lead to believe there are slight gains in performance and economy. I'm not interested in re-chipping.
I've cut it down to either a Taipan or Beaudesert system. Anyone out there who's been there, done that with either system and if so what are your thoughts after the event?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:35

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:35
had good dealings with Beaudesert, a quality product!
AnswerID: 520174

Reply By: Krooznalong - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 14:03

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 14:03
Do a search on LCOOL
AnswerID: 520175

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:17

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:17
Thanks Krooz, did just that and the search returned too many links to sift through. Much +'ve on Beaudesert, but not a lot on Taipan.
FollowupID: 800609

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:30

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:30
No worries Rosco

Have a look at Pacemaker too. Headers and 3" exhaust onto my petrol V8 100 series made a difference. No more droning, bit better fuel economy (about 1 to 1.5 ltrs/100kms), more power (not measured so only my impression) and sounds bloody nice. Was the one recommended when I was looking for a system some time back.

Beaudesert seems to be the most popular.
FollowupID: 800610

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:28

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:28
A good mate of mine bought a new 70 series dual cab a couple of months ago. He uses it in his business and towing a largish caravan for his holiday trips. He recently had a 3" free flow exhaust fitted, can't remember the brand just off the top of my head. Now this bloke is not into getting extra economy by how he drives. Usually sits on around 100 kph when conditions allow. He does not envisage getting a performance chip fitted at the moment. His take is that there is a slight improvement in performance however he has mentioned that could be the lovely V8 burble he can now hear, (:=)))) not intrusive but quite a nice note. He reckons the economy doesn't appear to be any better or worse but hasn't bothered to measure the before and after so just a "seat of the pants" judgement. Or maybe that should be a "seat of the wallet" lol.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 520187

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:43

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:43
That's about my take on it too Pop.
Plus, the boss has been at me for a while now to go down that road, merely for the sound effects. She's turning into a bit of a hoon arse, the silly bugger. Been that way ever since we totalled the exhaust on the V8 Disco many years back out in the centre
FollowupID: 800612

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:58

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 15:58
Rosco,
I know u have stated you r considering Taipan or Beaudesert......... But I'm on my third 200 on all I have fitted Manta systems..... Very happy with product & results. The last install (3rd) I deleted the cats as well..... Very very happy with end end results (sorry for repeating myself.... just happy)

I know ur not interested in a chip...... But fitting one makes such a difference ( overall power increase) & the DROP in fuel consumption is amazing.... Very happy camper! :-)
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520196

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:20

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 16:20
Thanks Tony

Food for thought on the Mantra. I'm not anti-chip, in fact I had one fitted to the previous TD5 Fender, as it was fairly sad towing our current camper. However, the current rig has adequate power for my needs ... even with only one turbo ya lucky bastard ;o)).

But, I can't escape from my nagging doubts as to engine longevity.
I know all the so called experts say it's not an issue and you'll get 10E6 km and easily drag the QE2 off the rocks etc etc . But I got some pretty scary exhaust temps with the previous job and I intend keeping this unit for a long time, so have decided to err on the side of caution.
FollowupID: 800617

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Oct 24, 2013 at 04:00

Thursday, Oct 24, 2013 at 04:00
Hey Rosco

I will second the manta exhaust system. These are made locally in WA out at Cunderdin. But if you are over east the Beaudesert or Taipan are equally great mandrel bent systems.

After I had the manta put on my V8 ute with no Cats - besides the nice burble and note it definately breathes quicker with a faster accelerator response. Fuel and power would only be marginal if at all.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 800696

Follow Up By: Deejay - Thursday, Oct 24, 2013 at 23:14

Thursday, Oct 24, 2013 at 23:14
Rosco, does the exhaust really have to be mandrel bent? Beaudesert and the likes charge big bucks for their systems when for half the price, any decent exhaust shop can put the same system on but with die bends. I seriously doubt the difference (if any) could be felt by yourself or a dyno. It seems that some people buy mandrel bent exhausts (and other accessories) simply because 'it's cool'. Honestly, get the big diameter pipe but save your money and get it bent the traditional way. As we used to say when I was a mechanic - most of the power gain is in your head.
FollowupID: 800743

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 00:22

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 00:22
You may well be correct DJ, however it is my understanding that die bending necks the pipe, in which case any benefit from the large dia pipe is lost at the bends. I could well be wrong, but that's what my research has suggested.
FollowupID: 800744

Follow Up By: Doug H3 - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 19:43

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 19:43
Hey Rosco
Like your rig can you describe it. My diesel mechanic (Queanbeyan Diesel) suggested that a chip (I use the Steinbeaur) should be coupled with a snorkel and larger exhaust to maximise power and fuel economy benefits.
Cheers
Lamb Chop
FollowupID: 800785

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 20:52

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 20:52
G'day LC

Fairly standard. Sax suspension front and rear with 50mm lift. Trade Bodies (Caboolture) ally canopy fitted out internally to our spec. Elevated diff breathers. 80W solar up top. Winch. FM100 pre-filter on fuel with water alarm spliced into factory harness. Std snorkel and top inlet. A couple of after market recovery points up front. Usual dual batt + smart manager. That's about it cobber.
Looks like I'll go with Beaudesert exhaust system in the near future.

Lotsa ppl go with a chip and good for them. I'm happy to leave that alone and will be interested in the difference (if any) after the exhaust is fitted. They generally claim in the order or 10% improvement in power and economy, but of course that could be all BS. There seem to be a lot of +'ve feed back on their system, so I reckon I'll give it a go.
FollowupID: 800787

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 20:44

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 20:44
Thanks for the response..... hope to c u down the road one day.....

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520222

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 20:49

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 20:49
Thanks for the response..... hope to c u down the road one day.....
Love ur signature....

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520223

Reply By: Member - Legendts - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 21:37

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 21:37
Rosco, I have a 200 series chipped and with a Beaudesert 3" S/S exhaust. I can turn my chip off and it was fitted prior to the exhaust, I know a mistake. After I fitted the exhaust, which was a breeze other than the passenger side turbo nuts, but that's another story, I took it for a drive with the chip turned off. I have a hill from my drive and it drove almost as good as the standard exhaust with the chip turned on. So much so, I now only use the chip mostly when towing the van. Slight improvement in lower fuel use but I put it on to help keep the turbo temps down. I would leave the cats on and not just from a legal point of view and the Beaudesert comes with them anyway.
Hope that is helpful to you.
AnswerID: 520226

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Oct 24, 2013 at 06:34

Thursday, Oct 24, 2013 at 06:34
Jeff I am also thinking of the Beausdesert with no chip. I tow a camper about 1.1T.

Does the exhaust help the torque around 1500 - 1800 RPM and help it stay in 6th longer?
FollowupID: 800697

Sponsored Links