Hot water systems

Submitted: Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 04:36
ThreadID: 104857 Views:2850 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, First post, so bare with me....
I am designing/building my own slide on camper for my ute, and I am thinking of adding a simple hot water system, for washing dishes and very short showers. I would prefer instantaneous due to space and weight. The only models I have seen are the 'Rezi' unit and 'RV Hot Water'. Both available fairly easily in Australia.
Couple of questions; Have anyone used/installed these units? If so, would you recommend for or against getting one? And which one?
Also, are there any other units on the market that I haven't seen on the www?
Any information will be appreciated.
Simon.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 08:15

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 08:15
What do we need to bare?
AnswerID: 520313

Follow Up By: stoooge - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 08:17

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 08:17
Apologies, damn dyslexia...
FollowupID: 800751

Follow Up By: Mike S2 - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:10

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:10
Hi Stooge,I have 'country comfort' instantaneous hot water unit,can be fixed or portable,heats to 60deg c,bought mine thru Black Diamond Supplies,great purchase,several mates have done same,good luck with the build project.(blackdiamondsupplies.com.au),cheers,Mike
FollowupID: 800762

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 09:10

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 09:10
Simon,I would firstly take the ute to a local weigh bridge and weigh it before you start. Add on the weight of the occupants plus fuel load. The difference below GVM is what you have to work with. It will most likely be less than you thought. Many slide on campers are very heavy and i have seen pics of a few with bent chassis rails after travelling on rough and bumpy tracks which accentuates the weight. If it's over GVM you may not have a claim against insurance.

Sooo...my answer is put in the 'must haves' first and see what you have left. Water can easily be heated in a pot or kettle and showers can be had useing the battery operated shower pumps. Also they can be taken to wherever you want with out needing to move the car. Teflon cook wear can be cleaned with a wet paper towel and paper plates in the camp fire...you don't necessarily have to do the full on dish wash up every night.
Make it light and make it simple. No point in takeing the taj mahal if it breaks the car or gets you bogged.

Cheers and have fun.

AnswerID: 520321

Follow Up By: stoooge - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 02:51

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 02:51
Thanks for the consideration Brenton, I have got a GVM upgrade, weight was one of my first considerations into a touring vehicle. Thats also why I have designed the unit myself inside and out. And is not off the shelf unit. I am only putting in what I really want, to my own specifications.
I do realise its not a must have, and is a glamping item, but sometimes its nice after a cold scuba or a dirty motorcross.
I posted this question to see what others have done and with what units, so cheers.
FollowupID: 800797

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:04

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:04
It appears you are looking at both gas and electric types.

REZI ELECTRIC WATER HEATER - The smallest of these appears to be 3.3 kW. The maximum supply to your camper is only 3.6 kW. This does not leave you much headroom. If you don't manage your demand carefully you will be suffering a lot of breaker tripping. There are some lighter duty ones with a small reservoir that would be suitable for washing up duty. I would suggest you chase there out.

RV / On-Demand. If this is what you are looking at, they can not be installed in an enclosed living area. You would have to externally mount it. Other than that it would be suitable.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520328

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:46

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:46
Have you considered an under bonnet type such as the Glind?.......we have one and it is brilliant......the weight is negligible, the simplicity is simple.......added advantage is the water pump that runs it can be used as a water transfer pump.

The advantage to us under the bonnet is that it is always with the vehicle and one assumes so are you...it has more versatility...either used directly as a shower at the bonnet of the car or run it into a bucket and take the hot water where you need it
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520330

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 22:12

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 22:12
I'll second Bungarra on the Glind. Best thing I ever fitted to my Landcruiser. You only need a roadside puddle to have a hot shower.
FollowupID: 800789

Follow Up By: stoooge - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 02:55

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 02:55
Cheers Ron N and Bungarra, I have looked into these, it is on my list of things to research and find out more info on. My own nip with those units is that you have to have the engine running for a while? or at least driving recently?? I was more opting for a unit when I'm parked up/camping in one spot for several days. But cheers for the heads up, I will look into thema bit more.
FollowupID: 800798

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:28

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:28
You are correct that the engine needs to be running as it is a heat exchanger..but look at it this way

1) If your parked up for a few days then running the engine briefly is good for a quick charge and turn over

2) The quickest way to get the water hot is to simply recycle it into a bucket and that way you are warming up warm water.....actually safer as well because with the engine at operating temp the unit can heat water to the point of almost scalding you....

3) We recycle the water till its at the temp we want it or a little above to allow for cooling ...switch the motor off and have a quick comfortable shower

4) Horses for courses as they say but every damn thing adds to the weight....my biggest mistake when I built our unit on the cruiser...simply didn't realise how much it all adds up and you are starting behind the 8ball as the tray may take half the payload before you start....I have a GVM to 3900 and it is right on the edge...in fact I am intending removing some things that I thought I needed..........

have fun
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 800815

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:46

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:46
Stooooooge

Webasto are also very good, but bloody expensive. There are a few geyser types on the market which are quite good albeit a tad bulky and less costly.
AnswerID: 520331

Follow Up By: stoooge - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 02:57

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 02:57
Thanks Rosco, I will do a bit of a google....
FollowupID: 800799

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 15:57

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 15:57
Stoooge,

Before we got our slide-on, we used a 12v Coleman shower kit, about $40, weighs less than a kilo, and you can use it anywhere. Just need to heat some water on fire/gas, fill the bucket and shower away.

Don't have any shower arrangement in the camper, so will probably use the Coleman until I get the heat exchange unit fitted to the ute.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520376

Sponsored Links