re little robin mini suspension

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:07
ThreadID: 104868 Views:3516 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi folks I am new here and at present building a small caravan to tow off road I was wondering if anyone has a little robin mini or similar and that can provide some pics of the suspension set up thanks in advance wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: roger t4 - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:49

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:49
G`day Warnie,
I may be able to help. I had a Little Robin custom built by Driftaway in Geelong about 5 yrs ago, though the original designer had long retired. Nevertheless the new bloke did a great job of it. Anyway I chose the Alko ( rubber axle suspension ) I can`t remember the correct name for it, but the main reason for choosing it was because of my carport height was pretty average and this suspension offered the best performance for my required static height. A bonus is the ease of attachment and it really is a fantastic idea the way it works. I don`t own the van or the house anymore so can`t provide pics. I only used it on formed roads so I can`t fib and say I went track driving, but that was in the plans to do when it was built and can`t think of a reason you couldn`t use it on tracks. Look up Alko suspensions and you`ll find the info you need, that`s what I did at the time.

Cheers Rog
AnswerID: 520368

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 14:21

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 14:21
The ones I have seen are just the standard beam axle. What style of suspension did the one you were referring to have?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520373

Follow Up By: warnie100 - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 09:02

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 09:02
hi I haven,t seen any really I just want a small van for off road I looked at there outside and inside layouts and its exactly what I want just need ideas for the right suspension as it will be timber frame thanks warnie
FollowupID: 800858

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 12:48

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 12:48
I don't think I would like to take a timber framed caravan off road and I don't think it would matter what suspension you had.

FollowupID: 800875

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 16:23

Sunday, Oct 27, 2013 at 16:23
The best off-road van produced (Barry Davidson's Phoenix) had a timber frame. So what's the problem with timber frames apart from prejudice.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 800896

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 21:05

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 21:05
warnie100
If you are going to use an axle with leaf springs I would use Landcruiser front springs. They are long enough to give a supple ride and will also allow a fair bit of travel. The ability to soak up road bumps with a longer travel supple suspension which doesn't shock your van, and break the eggs, is of great benefit.
I did exactly this to my 6x4 trailer for outback use and it works perfectly. I also added shock absorbers to control the moving mass of trailer and the wheels and axle. It doesn't bounce at all.
If going off road, the Alko rubber stuff doesn't have long travel, and it shakes the hell out of everything as the arm flaps up and down oscillating on the rubber. Ok for horse floats but not offroad IMHO. If used carry a spare for each side.
The choice of tyre size for using the tyre as the first suspension medium is also worth consideration. The biggest distance between the road and the rim ie highest profile you can reasonably use, is good to have.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 520400

Sponsored Links