REDARC update

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 19:56
ThreadID: 10487 Views:3705 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Here is the story so far:

1/ Contacted REDARC via E-mail, got a repsonse within 10 minutes, Anthony recommended two auto sparky's within the area I asked.
2/ First one out on a call, went round corner to second one.
3/ Had a unit in stock, took out of red box to make sure it was the correct one
4/ Handed over my $140, (I know may-be a bit dearer than previously quoted here but for service and piece of mind wasn't going to argue. EBAY up to $147 plus $15 postage), sparky said he had fitted a few to all kinds of machinery.
5/ After quick phone call's, picked up an ARB, (Black powdercoat, not plated bright like the piranha ones), dealer said they are better quality and they use whenever possible, $88. Was quoted up to $132 elsewhere for other brands
6/ Come home to plan installation
7/ One happy camper!
Thanks to all for the advise
Just as a follow-up, looked over the dealers shoulder at prices, complete kit $539. Lots of money to be saved here, have only spent $228 so far, plus battery and leads
Thanks again
Rolande
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 14:26

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 14:26
Yep Redarc are certainly customer friendly. I'd asked a question of them by email a couple of weeks ago, got a quick response including a stack of local stockists and today I got a follow-up email making sure I'd been looked after. That's amazing service.
On another matter - what did you pick up from ARB?
AnswerID: 46593

Follow Up By: tim - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 14:56

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 14:56
I am guessing it is a battery holder
FollowupID: 308480

Follow Up By: rolande- Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 22:22

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 22:22
Yeah, sorry 'bout that. In the exitement brain was working quicker than fingers. I priced a few battery trays from different suppliers, others noted they had bought ARB and local stockist agreed they were better quality than Pirahna, (without prompting), as stated ARB $88, others upwards of this to $132
Rolande

P.S. REDARC have promised to send out a wiring chart from their techs' for my particular application, gratis. Now upgraded to wonderful service.
FollowupID: 308541

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:07

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:07
Same arrangement I have on my Patrol and same amazement at the battery tray price from ARB, good quality tooIf you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 308579

Follow Up By: rolande- Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 18:30

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 18:30
Bonz,
What batteries do you use. A lot I have read use Exide Extreme, one auto sparky said he had been using YUASA for years and never had a problem, size, tech specs, price etc would be most appreciated, if that's O.K. with you. Happy with result? What would you do differently next time?
Just looking to cover anything I hadn't thought of, thanks
Rolande
FollowupID: 308658

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 18:15

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 18:15
Rolande, I got the battery for nothing, same as my starting battery, so no info for you there. That said, Yuasa and Exide are both extremely good batteries, I would be looking for something around 100-110a-h in a deep cycle job. There has been a battery comparo in 4x4 or 4WD Monthly in the past 12 months or so, if you give them a call I am sure that they could advise which edition. If I can find it I'll let you know what got the gong!

I did all the wiring/terminations myself and it turned out great, only thing I'd do beforehand is get a good multimeter BEFORE you call Redarc to tell them that their relay is not cutting out till 10v, funny hoe a new miltimeter fixed that problem once they told be that I would have to send it back to Melb to get it checked. Der!Life ISN'T like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your bum tomorrow."
FollowupID: 308783

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:08

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:08
Bonz,
thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll remember the multimeter too!
Rolande
FollowupID: 308819

Sponsored Links