hot water

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:26
ThreadID: 10488 Views:1764 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
any views on the primus lpg hot water service,the one in the blue box,would it be ok to use instead of a twine,they seem a little expensive for what you get ,would they handle rough roads if mounted in your truck or van with suitable ventilation,thanks guys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:30

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:30
Have asked this before, if you do a search I'm sure will find more info. Most of those who have them rave about them, still cheaper than Aussie Camper unit by about $100.
Rolande
AnswerID: 46501

Reply By: Patroleum - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 21:32

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 21:32
Know 2 people that bought them and returned them after total failure. I think they might be powered by the 3.0 Dsl patrol engine.

Steve
AnswerID: 46512

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:07

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:07
mmmmmmmm....." (snip) and returned them after total failure"...can we cut through the emotion and get to the facts?

what did the 'total failure' consist of?

FollowupID: 308412

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:01

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:01
I have one .... it's excellent.
AnswerID: 46518

Reply By: Patroleum - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:20

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:20
Kiwiangler

How's ypur 3.0L Dsl?

Failure 1. Water flow stops instantly and pilot light stalls.
Failure 2. Temp can not be controlled and is much too hot to use.

Was at camping shop and was seriously keen to buy one but saw 1 on the floor with a warranty tag (Return) on it. Shortly after spoke to both owners i know and found no joy! Failure 1 had been returned and 2 was about to be.

Not saying all have such faults however my personal experience has been 100% failure!

Will go Glind in car unit.

Steve
AnswerID: 46530

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:21

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:21
Steve

my 4.2lt turbo,intercooled dsl is going fine

Failure 1. Water flow stops instantly and pilot light stalls.

Not sure what this means, if you mean the water stops pumping when you shut the valve on the shower head and that the pilot light goes out then that is a safety initiative not a fault.

Failure 2. Temp can not be controlled and is much too hot to use.

The temp is preset to not go over about 42c. The control knob at maximum open position will not let water heat more than that, even if you try recycling the water over and over the unit will not let you go over 42c.The control knob controls the heat almost instantly, far quicker response than the 2 (only 2) "under the bonnet" showers I have played with

I have a primus hot water unit and have used it about 6 times so far and am very impressed. the only allowance I have had to make is that I purchased a 10lt container with 2 holes in the top enabling me to put both the outlet hose and the inlet hose in so that during the setup period where you have the water running and havent yet lit the pilot flame I dont lose that water to ground. Once the pilot flame is lit I am straight into the shower.
FollowupID: 308498

Follow Up By: Wombat - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:21

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:21
KiwiAngler,

I would humbly suggest that Patroleum has not seen the Primus unit operating, but is willing to denegrate the product based simply on hearsay and possibly ignorance.

I love the idea of the double orifice setup bottle and will be plagiarising your idea."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 308586

Reply By: Roachie - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:51

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:51
I'm happy with the Twine. Once it's installed, you forget it's there.....no blue box to carry in the back of the truck....gas bottle? Only need to store the 2 hoses to connect to fittings on the bullbar (I use standard 1/2" garden snap fittings and have a red "ant" cover over the 2 male outlet/inlet). Can adjust water temp by moving heater control on dash.
Great stuff.
BTW...I've heard of some Glind heat exchangers (plastic) cracking from vibration or whatever......Twine is all solid copper construction which is why I chose it.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 46544

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 17:16

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 17:16
I'll second that, Lex wouldn't go away till I got oneRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 308489

Follow Up By: Roachie - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 17:28

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 17:28
Bob and Lex,
It's also a great ways to "buy" friends . Once we set up camp and I make an offer to let anybody use our shower as long as they bring their own water......well you'd reckon I was handing out free fifties. I get the occasional stubby offered to me as well.
Can't complain about that.
I haven't got the heart to tell them that I'm only making the offer cos I don't want to have to suffer the smelly consequences??? LOLOLOL
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 308492

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:02

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:02
Roachie I think it is a problem with bolt together plastic heat exchangers. Is the reason I have a Twine too sits out of the way and all the pipe is there for a possi high on the firewall on a GU, take out one metal bit and reverse a hose.........Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
FollowupID: 308571

Reply By: Yarn - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 15:27

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 15:27
I have sold a number of these units since they were released and have had no complaints from my customers. However these units currently do not have AGA approval hence there is no certification sticker on them. I have been assured by the manufacturers that this is simply a formality.

There has been some confusion with these units as some people think they run on LPG only and can be setup anywhere you want. A 12v power source is also required to run the pump. You can replace the pump with a hose directly from a tank etc provided the water flow matchs that of the original pump. Keep in mind that doing this will void the warranty. Apart from that, they are a good unit but still are no match for the under hood units.

Yarn
AnswerID: 46603

Follow Up By: flappan - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 15:35

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 15:35
Whoa . . . back the truck up . . . .

"Developed in conjunction with the Australian Gas Association ensures that the camping hot shower system meets all industry standards and is the only fully approved unit in Australia."

Thats DIRECTLY from their website . . . . so someone is wrong . . . question is . . . which one . . .
FollowupID: 308482

Follow Up By: rolande- Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 22:40

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 22:40
Isn't the unit a badge-engineered US job? Or did I get my wires crossed. If it is then it couldn't "be developed in conjunction with"
More info required
Rolande
FollowupID: 308546

Follow Up By: Wombat - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:15

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:15
I think if you check your facts you will find that they ARE AGA approved (10/2003). The appropriate documentation and numbers are yet to be issued.

They ARE an Australian creation by COI/Primus in conjuction with AGA.

I SAW THE PROTOTYPE IN AUGUST LAST YEAR AND ORDERED ONE ON THE SPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The retail product is BETTER than the development model.

". . . they are a good unit but still are no match for the under hood units" is totally subjective, and dependant on how you plan to use each. The totally portable gas unit suits our requirements better.

OURS IS EVERYTHING WE EXPECTED . . . . and more."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 308585

Follow Up By: Yarn - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 19:56

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 19:56
Total Aussie development by COI/Primas.

These units are very good and I'm certain that they will meet all requirements of the AGA.

But as at the beginning of this month, they are not approved.

COI/Primas have told me that they are approved and are simply waiting for the certificates to be produced. They will not however, provide this answer in writting. Moot point really as they are selling well and will continue to do so.

As for the subjective comment...I have to agree

Cheers
Yarn
FollowupID: 308923

Reply By: Diamond(due to duck season) - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 22:30

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 22:30
However these units currently do not have AGA approval hence there is no certification sticker on them. I have been assured by the manufacturers that this is simply a formality.
please explaindue to duck season coming
ive decided to hide out
love jemima puddle duck
back after the season
AnswerID: 46645

Reply By: Brett - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:25

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:25
Someone is saying

..OOOOPS!

AnswerID: 46657

Sponsored Links