Mitsubishi Triton GearBoxes

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:44
ThreadID: 10490 Views:21030 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hello all...

we are considering buying a 2000 GLX Club Cab 4x4 Mitsubishi Triton. we got the nrma report done today and the only slightly worrying thing was that he found it difficult to get into 1st gear and there was some crunching. the nrma guy told me that it could just be the oil that needs changing and that often in the mornings, before it has warmed up it can be like that. I am worried that the gear box could go completely straight after buying it.

has anyone got some comments/ experiences about mitsubishi gearboxes. on a 2000 model (with 137kms on the clock) should we expect to have gear box problems? Surely they last on average longer than 4 years?

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: da_wart - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:08

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:08
We have a 2000 model GLS (65,000) which has a tendancy to feel tight (1st, 2nd)when cold but not difficult.
The selection can be also be noisy but I would not discribe it as 'crunching', its more like a firm click. Without the vehicle running you can cycle though the gears and hear a positive selector movement.

Cheers
AnswerID: 46523

Reply By: David N. - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:22

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:22
My brother-in -law has one... '99 I think, and he was not impressed last year when he had to pay mega-bucks for a complete g'box rebuild. (He's had it since new, well looked after, don't know how many klms.)
Also don't know what the symptoms were but I'll try to get him on the phone and ask for more details (He can be hard to catch...)
AnswerID: 46531

Follow Up By: David N. - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:17

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:17
Yes, Got him, he has the vehicle on the market as he's worried about more gearbox trouble.
The rebuild cost him about 4 grand- on a vehicle which has only done 70,000klms. Not happy Jan.
FollowupID: 308466

Reply By: NICOLA - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:34

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:34
Thanks for the thoughts...my boyfriend drove it and described it as "stiff" but he's no mechanic so I tend to believe the NRMA guy over him!!:) Generally I have heard nothing but good about the Triton's and would not expect a gear box to go so soon...but I guess you can never tell....the irony is that we have wrecked our olf F100 as the gear box went and it was false economy to replace it!!
AnswerID: 46561

Reply By: simon - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:18

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:18
We just had too put the second gear box in our 98 triton 2.8 diesel at work is not cheap was a $4500 doller exercise we will never buy another triton again.
The gearboxes are very hard too get hold of and for what they charge second hand may as well buy a new one the same applies for a rebuild
AnswerID: 46568

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:19

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:19
I have a 1991 Triton TD ute & had new bearings in the box at 170,000 kms.
Ute is my sole runabout & used on good roads a lot but has done the Simpson & a bit if beach work & mountain tracks.
The gearbox bearings & new clutch kit cost a bit over $900 fitted several years ago with me standing by & helping out at times( wouldnt save much by that)
I am not sure if the later Tritons have heavier gearboxes. I understand Navaras now have Patrol boxes but check for yourselves.
NEW TRITON GEARBOXES ARE available for $1500 so anyone who spends $4500 for repairs has been badly ripped off.
Surely they give some warning before cracking up!! If you heed that maybe bearings are enough.,
The new boxes I refer to are from an after market Mits. parts supplier whose name I forget (in Melb) and can be found in the Trading Post & possibly newspaper classifieds.
A friend converted a Mit Pajero which had 300,000 kms on clock from petrol to diesel witrh one of these boxes & a new Mit/Hyundai built 2.5 td motor .
Motor complete was $5800 & box $1500 ( maybe Hyundai built) Everything dropped straight in apparently. Anyone wanting more info I can contact him.
My gearbox at 170000 kms needed only bearings, which with seals in an after market kit costs around $400+ so shop around. Things are not so bad with 'em & the rest of the vehicle is rather trouble free bar the rubber timing belts (2) but that is par for most 4wd's now unfortunately.

AnswerID: 46582

Follow Up By: simon - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:34

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:34
between the year of 98 to 99 they made 3 different gear boxes for the triton and unfortinatly we had one of the rare ones who knows but the cost was 3600 from mit plus fitting.
I have a 93 triton with 450000km on the clock is still on the original motor which runs on gas and has only ever had the head over hauled and 2 clutches fitted.
The problem seems to be on the later model units
FollowupID: 308469

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:48

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:48
Sounds like you are having a great run out of your V6. I did not know about all the different boxes on them. The problem there would seem to be 1.Why so many?
2.Which one is the best.
3. How do you identify it?>

Before mine let go it started to get noisy in 5th so there was warning. Everything else internally was OK except bearings but next time around I will be enquiring about the new$1500 box & its creds. Friend has done a few kms on it & its fine.
AnswerID: 46588

Reply By: Camper - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:37

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:37
Howdy,
I posted about challenger gearbox rumble (post 8635) and got some reassuring replies about the robustness of Mitsi boxed. Have a look.

Cheers,
Camper
AnswerID: 46624

Reply By: jeff-wa - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 19:13

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 19:13
Sounds like oil to me. My TD Rocky had a very big heavy strong gearbox (most of the weight of the car!). Never missed a beat, towed stupid loads with it, bush bashed it everything was great. Then I thought I'd give it a birthday and change the gear box oil. Got my mechanic to do it. It never ran the same again, it was hard to shift gears when cold, and made a noise (not a crunch). Actually it was probally more a feeling than a noise as you went through 1st, 2nd, 3rd. When it warmed up it was fine. It also started making a little bit of noise in 5th when I was overloading it going up hills (should have been in 4th) however I had never heard it do it prior to the oil change. I've sold it now, it had done 130,000kms when I sold it but my guess is it was just a different kind of oil that perhaps did not suit the gearbox as well as the orig stuff. Maybe that's all the triton needs.
AnswerID: 46625

Reply By: eyesspee - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 18:41

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 18:41
Hi,

My work (Main Roads WA) issues these cars in the region as pretty much standard to soilies, surveillance officers, and engineers where appropriate. Having done a large amount of driving in them (the 3.0 Petrol 2000/1/2 model), I'd make a few comments:

The gearboxes are weak. The synchromesh is usually noisy when changing down to 2nd and to 1st on cars that have done more than 50 or 60,000km. Solid as a rock they are not.

The seating position is tight. I am 6'2", and the seat doesn't go back quite far enough for me to be comfortable. There are no footrests/armrests for long-distance highway driving, and when I use cruise control, my right knee rests against the window winder which is uncomfortable.

The engine is thirsty and the gearing too low for highway driving. At 110km/h, they'll be doing around 3300-3400 RPM in 5th, and you'll get around 16L/100km.

The radio provided with the vehicle (a Clarion badged thing) autoscans only. Thus if you are out bush and the reception isn't crystal, you won't be able to add in any channels you haven't already tuned.

The air conditioning systems in them are weak and under powered. In 40+ heat, it'll more than likely blow moist humid air about 28C onto you rather than anything cold.

The turning circle on these machines is something like 20m. Good luck trying to turn the thing around in anything but a decent sized clearing.

Not a good machine in my opinion.
AnswerID: 46801

Follow Up By: da_wart - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 21:21

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 21:21
Syncro may be noisy because someone else is a bit hard on it.
Down changing to 1st!!!
Plenty of room in the club & etra cab.
Cruise but no power windows is odd.
They are thirsty but i get 11.5/100 and i fed it to it as i nomaly drive a V8.
My a/c works fine at 40c, 28c sounds better than 40c.
The turning circles not bleep hot but we run both Cruzers & Patrols at work and the Tritons a clear shot better than both.

But if your not happy your not happy
I drive a Cruzer every day, I dont like it either,tough truck though - just not cup a tea.
FollowupID: 308807

Sponsored Links