Projecta 25 Amp - Waste of money

Submitted: Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 18:43
ThreadID: 104902 Views:4730 Replies:12 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Paid well over $250 for it 2 years ago and it has died. At $125 per year, it an expensive piece of chinese junk. Not that there is anything wrong with products being made in china, but the quality control is in question. I think C-Tek units are also made there.

For those that are in the market, pay the few extra $$$ and buy a quality C-Tek. What ever happened to things lasting 20+ years.

My C-tek 7amp and 0.8 amp have performed faultlessly for years and years. Thought I'd give the projecta a go. Lesson learned.

CTEK 25 amp next time.

Not happy Jan!!
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 18:53

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 18:53
Sorry I don't agree with you, I've had two Ctek's both carked it in the second year.
The Projecta 25 amp which I bought to replace them is still working well after 3 years.
Plus with the Projecta you can tell it what sort of battery chemistry is involved and then the maximum charge voltage is tailored to suit the battery where the Ctek's just run as high as they can go which isn't good for some battery types.
AnswerID: 520534

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 07:26

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 07:26
Peter,

The Ctek's have both a normal and snowflake setting which suits AGM style batteries, applying a slightly higher voltage.

Me, I just use the normal setting on both a 7 Amp and 15 Amp charger.
The 15 Amp Ctek also has a heat sensor which will reduce the charging rate if a higher than normal battery temperature is detected.

As an aside, I also have a 15 Amp Projecta muli-stage charger which once "cooked" my 75Ah Thumper to the extent that it looked severely pregnant. Fortunately, the Thumper could be repacked with new cells.

I just lost confidence in the Projecta charger.
It now sits in the shed as a backup boat anchor.

I guess we each have different experiences with different products.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 801020

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:15

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:15
The Ctek is still a one charge fits all plus the maintenance charge .
I was going to buy one but decided on the Projector unit instead as it was more versatile because you can select what amps you want and also the battery type which covers a wider range of uses as a general all round charger
FollowupID: 801022

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:15

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:15
Bill
The 25 amp Projecta has a temp sensor too as well as settings for each type of battery to prevent overcharging. It also has a remote head so the charger can be mounted out of sight and the headunit fitted where it is easily observed
The Projecta has had a much harder life than the Ctek's as well as it is bolted to the wall in the Oka and goes everywhere it does. After three years of bouncing around on corrugations it still works well now charging a 400ah bank of lithiums which means it runs at full throttle continuously which no charger in these price ranges are rated for use at.
As a normal LA based battery is charged the internal resistance rises which limits charging currents, not so the lithiums, they will take whatever you can supply right up to 100% SOC which means any charging source will be running flat out.
FollowupID: 801023

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 19:02

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 19:02
I am with your Werts.
Excellence performance from two Cteks (one 25 amp, and one 5/0.8 amp) and they get worked almost continuously and still going strong.
Used a Projecta solar controller of which first one was replaced within 3 months, and the second one tossed in the bin within the next 12 months. Projecta offered to replace again the second one to their credit, but was just not worth it.
Brett....
AnswerID: 520535

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 19:11

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 19:11
I have the same unit and it is excellent, I trust you have spoken to Projecta about it before bagging them out on a public forum?
A few years ago I had a set of Narva ( same company) driving lights and there housings cracked from vibration, even though they were out of warranty I enquired with the company about the problem. The next day I had a rep come to my workplace with a replacement set of housings at no charge. excellent customer service in my opinion.

I don't think you can question a companys product and quality control on the experience of one item, this type of thing can happen with any product

No affiliation to the company nor am I in the industry, just like to see a fair and balanced view being displayed
AnswerID: 520538

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 20:54

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 20:54
G`day Werts,
"Paid well over $250 for it 2 years ago and it has died."
That`s not much to pay for a 25 amp charger and it immediately makes me question it`s quality.
I have had Xantrex chargers 1 x 20amp and 1 x 40 amp for about 11 years and they have traveled a lot of rough tracks and roads without a problem. ( made in Canada or USA, I am not sure)
I also have a Stirling DC - DC 50 amp charger made in UK.

I reckon if you buy Quality products you usually only buy once.

I seldom ,if ever, see negative comments on these products.

I am just suggesting you check out some of the better brands before parting with more $`s.

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 520541

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 21:29

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 21:29
Werts,

Have had a Projecta 15 amp charger for at least 4 years, and while it's use is only occasional, it has worked well.

Also have a Ctek 7 amp charger which works okay, but is too slow except for smaller batteries.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520544

Reply By: Brian 01 - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 22:24

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 22:24
If it's not much over the two year warranty period, give Brown and Watson a call. They are a good mob to deal with and may come to the party, even if it's on a pro-rata basis.
AnswerID: 520549

Reply By: Member - Terry W3 - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 22:41

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 22:41
Werts you did better than me, the kids got me one and never used it . Sat for about 18 months and went use it and presto promptly blew the circuit breaker in the shed. Further checking and yep she was cactus,couldnt find the docket and had moved interstate also. So never relpaced it, bought C-Teks instead and they are great one to keep the bikes on trickle most of the year round and the big one i use just give the car batteries a kick along ever now and then.
AnswerID: 520550

Reply By: Road Warrior - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:39

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:39
I've got some Projecta gear, a little trickle charger and a jump starter, both a few years old and given me great service. The jump starter in particular has been hammered and probably needs a new battery given it doesn't seem to hold a charge as well as it used to...but it all still does what I want it to do, when I want it.
AnswerID: 520567

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:41

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:41
I have never had a failure with any of my 5 Ctek chargers over 8 years now. I have 2 x 25 Amp in a boat and 3 standalone. I also have a Projecta 10amp which I have had to replace the fuse twice, other than that all good. Like anything you can be lucky or unlucky, there are no guarantees with Ctek but I love the design. I also picked up a neat little 4AMP 3 Stage SCA charger from Supercheap for charging some small 7ah and 12ah AGM's and it supports zero volt start for completely dead batteries.
AnswerID: 520569

Reply By: Werts - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 14:10

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 14:10
We'll there certainly seems to be a bipolar view on this. It's a bit like the Wakeo/Engle debate that's been going on for years and years. Your on one side or the other.

I spoke to Projecta and essentially, they did not want to hear any more about my problems after they found out it was out of warranty. On one hand I see the economics in this, and I was aware of the warranty period when I bought and still made the decision to buy, however I am still disappointed.

Yes, it maybe that my new C-Tek 25amp MXS dies in a similar period, only time will tell.

I can see that we all have had good and bad experiences with both products however I have chosen to replace it with a C-Tek based on my experience and my experience alone. Once bitten twice shy, as they say.

Does it really have to be like buying a lotto ticket with chargers!

P.S. If any of my C-Tek's ever do die, you guys will hear about it. Fair is fair.

May the God of spark shine brightly on my new charger.

AnswerID: 520575

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 14:28

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 14:28
Having worked with electronics all my life I can tell you that the price or brand doesn't necessarily determine the quality or the reliability of a product.

Doesn't matter how good a companies quality control is if a component from a supplier
is defective. Also the manufacturer has no control over the how the user uses the item and I have seen the results of server item abuse.

I have also brought cheap Chinese items, one a multi stage battery charger which is several years old and still performing faultlessly and gets used 24/7.

I have also purchased very expensive brand name power tools and had them fail after a couple of uses.

Same for very upmarket video and audio equipment etc etc.

To me the quality of a product these days is reflected in the company that sells it or distribute it. If you have a problem and they are helpful and repair or exchange with out any argument and the replacement does what it should that is worth much more than a companies reputation. I have seen many instances of very big and well respected brands trying to wriggle out of replacing or repairing items they know dame well have a design flaw. And instances of circulating service repair bulletins stating if certain item comes in for service then either replace or repair at their cost but at the same time not issuing a recall notice.

I also remember when a customer with a very upmarket plasma asked for advice on what set top box they should purchase, i suggest they stick with the same brand for compatibility reasons. They took my advise, plugged in the set top box and it blew up the Plasma!

The manufacture happily replaced the Plasma and replaced the set top box with a much more expensive model.

Getting back to the topic, I have a project air compressor which I have worked very hard and have had no issues with it and have seen many of the chargers in use also with no problems reported.

Just accept that any manufacture can supply a dud, that's what warranties are for, as long as they are helpful and replace it move on, if the replacement is also a dud then you have grounds to grumble.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520576

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 22:31

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 22:31
Well said Leigh.

No product is perfect, and no person is perfect. Who among you have never broken a glass?

It is simplistic and implausible to judge a company on your experience with one product failure. As Leigh said, it is much more important how they deal with that failure.

At a personal level I have both Projecta and C Tek equipment - neither have failed.

Bob
FollowupID: 801084

Reply By: 213 - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:30

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:30
I have the 'remains' of a 7000 Projecta battery charger in my garage - it lasted about 3 years before karking it. The most worrying aspect of it was it didn't just 'blow' and stop... I was going in and out of the garage and could smell something...on my third walk past I realised it was that distinctive electrical burning smell. The thing had got very very close to bursting into flames!!!

I bought a 15 amp (I think) solid state all dancing one from Supercheap - that went Kaput whilst I was on a country trip and needed it badly..bought the one I've got now from a country store. Goodness knows how long that will last.

I get frustrated reading the apologist's comments for these manufacturers/importers.

They most definitely CAN test their products before launching them on the unsuspecting consumer - it's just cheaper not to - they reason: "let the consumer find out for us if it's c**p!!!!"

Take it back - yes - even out or their so called 'warranty' period especially if it's a major fault and get your money back. Don't listen to their silly arguments - ask once then get nasty - sue them!!!

Unlike most Asian countries into which theses people sell the rubbishy wares, we have consumer laws in Australia that protect ALL consumers - read the ACCC web site for more info.

Happy days

AnswerID: 521020

Sponsored Links