Birdsville in Jan?

Submitted: Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 21:26
ThreadID: 104906 Views:2332 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day there,

me & a few mates (who sad for them don't own 4WDs) have often talked about heading out to Birdsville. I have a Prado 120 series diesel with 2 inch lift, Cooper AT3s (4 plus 2 spares), snorkel, steel bullbar, dual battery & diff breather extenders. Other than that its a pretty standard VX model.

Talk came up for the annual January boys trip away (where the missus lets us head out for a week or so) Is it possible to get to Birdsville (from Melbourne) safely in January without a convoy? Obviously it's the wet season then hence why I ask. Also, it's kinda hard to not want to spend at least a day or two camping under the stars in the Simmo. Is that do-able or would the tracks just be too dangerous to attempt in the wet season with only one vehicle?

Obviously, we would hire a sat phone in case things went sour, take recovery gear etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 21:46

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 21:46
Getting to Birdsville from Melbourne is the easy part...... we sort of!

Around that time of year expect temperatures to be very high 30's to high 40's with no relief at night.

The problem is travelling out there in those temperatures put a BIG strain on people and machine and the smallest problem can turn into a large expensive problem very quickly.

With limited experience in those conditions your asking for trouble, the SA side is closed from December meaning traffic flow will be low and the chances of someone coming along to help remote.

I would look at another destination and keep the Simpson for another better time.
AnswerID: 520545

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 21:52

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 21:52
Have a look at this.....

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/weather/thongs-melt-on-the-ground-as-birdsville-withers-in-the-heat-20130108-2ceub.html
FollowupID: 801009

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 21:47

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 21:47
I'd be more concerned about the heat, Philby.

If it gets real wet, you won't get there anyway, and all dirt roads will be closed in Diamantina Shire. Depending on any early rain, the Diamantina River might be in flood, though that might not affect Birdsville for some weeks.

The Simpson will be closed by then too, but there's plenty of other good campsites about. If you want sandhills, then there's plenty of the way to Birdsville, both from Windorah and up the Birdsville Track.

At least the beer will be cold at the Pub!!!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520546

Reply By: pmk03 - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:02

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:02
Hi Philby,
A good alternative & probably safer that time of year is Googs Track. It's like a mini Simpson Desert & has great camping at Mt. Finke & Googs Lake
Just came back from there 2 weeks ago & there's been a bit of work done at the lake campsite. You'll certainly see the stars there at night !!
A bit sandy on the north section north of Mt Finke & the Southern sides of the dunes were very dug up from people with too high tyre pressures (& inexperience) But overall a great trip. It's a great trip & a lot of fun with desert & dune type tracks And doable in a week from Melb.
Just an idea.....
Paul

AnswerID: 520568

Follow Up By: Philby - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:49

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:49
Good tip! Cheers :)
FollowupID: 801103

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 20:59

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 20:59
Do yourself and every one that has to rescue you a favour and stay out of the deserts in the heat of summer!!

BTW the Simpson Desert parks in South Australia and Queensland are closed in summer from 1 December to 15 March for very good reasons.
AnswerID: 520593

Reply By: Philby - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:46

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:46
Wow sounds like Birdsville isn't worth the effort in January becuase apart from the famous camel pie's I wouldn't be able to do much. Appreciate the advice people!

Is most of the outback going to be that hot? I've been in Alice Springs and Darwin during January and while it was hot I didn't find it unbearable (high 30s and low 40s).

AnswerID: 520616

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:17

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:17
Dusty' bakery will be shut at that time as well, the Roadhouse, pub & caravan park will be open, but it will be pretty quiet!

FollowupID: 801104

Sponsored Links