Single lane bridges are just that!

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 15:57
ThreadID: 104930 Views:7107 Replies:15 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Beggers belief but it can and does happen.Check out the front number plate on the Prado - obviously the consequences didn't 'Dawn' on them.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:00

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:00
Forgot to add that according to th eemail I received the bridge is on the Yellow Waters Road, NT
Dunc

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 520632

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:06

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:06
what was the Prado driver thinking you do not win when it comes to road trains

some people go on holiday and leave commonsense at home
AnswerID: 520633

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:23

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:23
Bit more than just a few leaving common sense at home from what I've witnessed on the roads. It's not restricted to holiday makers from down south or Fritz in his Britz either.
Anyone remember the video not long ago of the female truckie overtaking on double lines approaching a level crossing? I just hope the authorities saw it and gave her a fitting penalty as it was damn right dangerous and a disgusting display of "professional driving".
AlanH.
FollowupID: 801116

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 18:27

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 18:27
Has anyone noticed how there are extensive skid marks behind the road train, but practically no skid marks behind the Prado?

I'll hazard an educated guess at the facts, that this shows the Prado Anti-Lock Braking (ABS) at work - and the fact that the road train doesn't have ABS brakes.

I trust it's not because the Prado driver just thought they had right of way at all times, and hardly touched the brakes until it was too late!
FollowupID: 801134

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 07:54

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 07:54
AllenTH,

Maybe you should read this link. Sometimes what we perceive is is not what happened.

Explanation of the rail incident
FollowupID: 801149

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 18:41

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 18:41
Yes it shows a different point of view but on a straight road surely the driver could have shown a bit more anticipation knowing that the driver had been erratic previously? Pity the clip never had something of an explanation after it as well.
May have avoided a lot of anti road train driver comments. Personally I've found most truckies especially on long haul routes to good and quite forgiving of us lesser mortals.
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 801167

Follow Up By: Member - Battler - Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 19:45

Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 19:45
No surprise that this has happened , as a truck driver and a fwd + camper trailer driver who has spent quite a few years driving along the section of the great northern highway between bow river and tickallara creek mostly in a truck but also in light vehicles I have more than my fair share of one lane bridge experinces .
The worst one was when I was driving a fuel truck north towards mistake creek and had made the radio call letting other drivers know(this cannot be relied upon because truck drivers unfamiliar with area and car drivers that are also unfamiliar or don't have radios don't know your intentions ) that I was approaching the bridge . A fwd vehicle driven by what looked like a local stopped and waited as I approached and just as I committed to crossing the bridge he moved out and crossed the bridge ,full lock up on truck and only missed him by less than an inch as I was not going to end up in creek with 13 tons of fuel and oil behind me .
Some of these our lane bridges along that stretch have very poor approaches and generically heavy vehicle drivers are aware of the dangers and approach these bridges with caution and will also make their intentions clear .So I would suggest don't try and bluff heavy vehicles because thy usually cant stop in time and the wont go over the side

FollowupID: 801229

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:35

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:35
wasn't there a similar post on here recently ??
AnswerID: 520635

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:42

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:42
Yeap, same accident
FollowupID: 801121

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:44

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:44
thread 104179
FollowupID: 801122

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:55

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 16:55
Hadn't seen the previous Thread, must have been away on holiday at the time.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 801125

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 17:47

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 17:47
Salt Creek bridge on the Roper Hwy. We had a spirited discussion in early Sept., regarding what amounts to careless driving.
I wonder if anyone was charged with that offence? If they were, I'll wager they aren't telling anyone.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/104179/Pedal-to-the-metal_syndrome.aspx?ky=&sn=&p=%2FForum%2FDefault.aspx%3Fpn%3D1
AnswerID: 520639

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 18:13

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 18:13
I had a experience in pert couple of years ago I was a passenger in a car turning right onto great eastern hwy .

the driver a young female was on P plates we had duel carriageway right hand turn as we came up to the intersection there was a massive road train also turning right he was as far left as possible

the young lady driving was about to drive between the truck and the kerb I yelled stop stop the truck needs the room to move she had no idea

I asked her when you did your license did they say anything about road train she said " No"

she could not understand my problem I tried to explain to her that truck especially road trains needed more room to move around and more room for stopping

she had no idea her way of thinking is she was in her lane and the truck stayed into his and the truck should give way to her

sadly there is a number of people out there who have passed a driving test but really will never have the ability to drive a car safe this young female had me stumped

all she need to do was sit back and let the truck turn the corner and once the truck was safe she could move on past him simple basic common sense
AnswerID: 520641

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 18:38

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 18:38
allein, some people don't realize those "do not overtake turning vehicle" sign on long vehicle are there for a reason.

Silliest one I ever saw was outside one of my old offices in North Sydney where the was a very tight 2 lane left hand turn off the Pacific Hwy onto Berry St which was the main Harbour Bridge approach. Rather long flat-bed non articulated truck was making a left hand turn primarily in the right lane, and this silly lady decided she was OK to proceed down the left lane.

End result was the tray of the truck opened up all the right hand panels on her car like a can opener. Fair dinkum, it looked like someone had got the jaws of death and started at her tail-light all the way down to the headlight.

We were watching with amusement as she was arguing very loudly with the truck driver and the copper attending how she was in the right and the truckie was in the wrong .... us, the truckie, and the copper were just shaking our heads - they couldn't convince her the "do not overtake turning vehicle" meant exactly that. She went even more ballistic and a shade of puce when the copper handed her a fine....
FollowupID: 801135

Reply By: bgreeni - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 18:20

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 18:20
I saw it a lot on the Bruce Highway which I drove a lot at one stage. There were a lot of single lane bridges with give way signs at one end. Trucks would ignore the sign and flash their lights expecting cars to give way to them.

When safe I would just flash my lights back and keep going. Truckies think they own the road to often.
AnswerID: 520642

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 19:14

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 19:14
I agree, but only sometimes.
That's a lot of machinery they have to stop. And if you have never driven a road train, or even anything bigger than a towed caravan, then you really don't have a clue.

Truckies are, for the most part, pretty professional.

It's the morons towing caravans who think they know it all that scare me. All the bells and whistles and not a clue about road etiquette or the rules.
FollowupID: 801138

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 18:53

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 18:53
Rule number 1..... always give way to something bigger even if in the wrong....... you can still die even in the right.

Yes the dreaded caravaners on their annual holidays with their sagging suspension who can not sit on or close to the speed limit....... many think they are the only ones on the road and drive accordingly.
FollowupID: 801168

Follow Up By: Member - Rob Mac (QLD) - Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 00:12

Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 00:12
olcoolone, you are so right, when I learnt to drive trucks in the Kimberley in the early 70's driving 5 tonners (with 7 ton on), 8 and 12 tonners it was the un written rule, always "give way to anything bigger than yourself". I remember in the J5 Bedford coming around a gentle left hander I couldn't get off the bitumen with a shorty landy coming the other way as the shoulder was washed out, so the landy gave way at the last moment and fish tailed down the road and I laughed at the Richard Cranium, and then along the straight I saw Slim in an EKT road train coming and he flicked the wheel to make the last (3rd) trailer snake to let me know he was BIGGER so I was quickly on the brakes and making room, smugness soon replaced by opps. At 18-19 years old I still had a lot to learn, but already knew the un written rule.
FollowupID: 801374

Reply By: John and Regina M - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 19:08

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 19:08
Thankfully it was a truck the brainless moron hit.
If a smaller car, the prado would have killed someone, unfortunately probably not themselves.
AnswerID: 520643

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 21:05

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 21:05
Here we go, another road crash investigator from the safety of their living room.

Easy, isn't it to tell the Prado was at fault, cause it got belted. Yes! I was a truck driver and I don't ever pull out the hang mans noose until the judge has given his verdict.

Maybe it was his number plate that caused the crash, as stated by the op. What absolute BS.

FollowupID: 801141

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 19:58

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 19:58
I am no expert in the forensics of accident cause but....

Is it not possible that Mr and Mrs Holiday-maker were just quietly crossing the bridge, saw a truck heading in their direction at speed, tried to reverse at speed (as you would) and ended up jack knifing the trailer. Truck cant stop end result - above photo?

Is it not possible that Mr and Mrs Holiday-maker were quietly crossing the bridge having seen it was clear from their end, truck approaching at speed from other end - thinking it was clear (previous post on this topic suggests this bridge has a curve in it's approach). Smaller vehicle able to stop larger, faster, heavier truck unable to stop. end result - above photo?

Is it not possible...

Get the picture? They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Most of them seem to have been written here.

I always find it amazing that armchair experts are quick to lay blame. It always seems to be the fault of the "impatient, inattentive, distracted, foreign, old..." 4WD driver while the "professional" road train drivers are the ones who are inconvenienced because they are just trying to make a living...

I'm not saying that is the case here but, moderation in blame laying, unless all the facts are fully disclosed, should be the name of the game.

What could we take away from these images?

1. Take notice of the Single Lane Bridge signs
2. Approach unknown roads/bridges with care.
3. Use your radio if you have one fitted.
4. Drive to the conditions.
5. Don't assume - it will make an ass of u and me.

The list goes on...

Before you slam me - just think - Is there another scenario than what you think?

Cheers

Anthony

AnswerID: 520645

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 20:37

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 20:37
Agree Anthony but it's standard fare on here from time to time. Some will be gobsmacked to learn that accidents happen to experienced, well-adjusted, mature, responsible people. This one looks like a lapse in concentration one way or the other. It's quite possible that the Prado driver was already on the bridge, the sun might have been in the wrong position for one of them, who knows. Someone, maybe both drivers, made an expensive error of judgement.
FollowupID: 801140

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 21:18

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 21:18
Thanks Bazooka

Guess that's why they are called Accidents - we are after all "Human" and make mistakes. Otherwise we'd be called "Gods".

I suppose this is the reason pencils have rubbers and cars have bumpers.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 801142

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 00:02

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 00:02
Good post Anthony. Your explanation is completely possible. Those skid marks behind the truck seem to be fairly long, wonder what the trucks speed was?

wizzer
FollowupID: 801147

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 21:41

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 21:41
So who is the genius who thinks that single lane bridges come even close to being acceptable in this day and age of cars that can comfortably sit on 100+ kph even with maybe 3.5 tonnes of caravan behind, and road trains with possibly 150 tonnes pulled by prime movers quite capable of sitting on a similar speed.
May have been acceptable when goods and people were transported by horse drawn carts.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 520650

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 23:01

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 23:01
Yer not wrong there, Pop. The basic problem lies with pollies and transport experts who reckon its completely safe to run roadtrains on roads that aren't upgraded to road train standards.
They want the money out of truckies in the form of fuel taxes and massive licence fees - but once they have the money in, it's just "general revenue", to be spent on pollies useless pet projects.

Of course, in Pommyland and Scotland, they still have all these cute little one-lane bridges - from the 17th and 18th centuries - but even the Poms and Scots have enough brains to install a simple set of timed traffic lights that set the vehicle movement one-way across the bridge for a minute or two at a time.

I'm sure if some pollie in the NT stretched his brain he could even envisage installing the same thing on the NT bridges that are still single lane.
A single, simple set of traffic lights isn't going to break the bank. They only need 12V to operate, they could have batteries mounted on poles to prevent theft, and recharged by solar panels.
With the new LED globes in traffic lights, the power draw is so low, even a small car battery could power them.
FollowupID: 801145

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 23:38

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013 at 23:38
This thread should be read in conjunction with the recent one about using/not using UHF CBs productively.

A lot of these bridges, particularly in QLD, have a sign well before them saying Call Point. It is here that trucks and everyone else, imo, should call up with something like: "Caravan, northbound, approaching Smith Creek bridge".

It's also very important to be alert enough to check which side of the bridge has the Give Way sign too.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 520655

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 06:40

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 06:40
Like the previous post on the same subject this one highlights the dangers of one-lane bridges, and the need for all drivers to be fully alert, at all times.

And I guess that could be said for anytime you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, whether it is a Nissan Micra, or a large Kenworth pulling a road-train...

But until someone can actually post some detail on how this particular incident occurred it is wrong to be berating anyone over it…

AnswerID: 520658

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Nov 02, 2013 at 18:22

Saturday, Nov 02, 2013 at 18:22
We have [7] seven 1 lane bridges within 8klm of town , each approach is signed heading sth with the 'give way' , we have road trains constantly , the one and only 'accident' in the last 5 years ???? road train ? No ......... Grey nomad caravan versus Grey nomad caravan..
FollowupID: 801275

Reply By: Skulldug - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 19:27

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 19:27
Looks simple to me.

If you drive onto a one way bridge going so fast you can't stop for the unexpected or because you are too heavy, you shouldn't be driving.

Does anyone seriously think that a 4WD driver on holiday would bully a truckie or mid-judge the width of the road?

This post is just another beat-up on annoying little vehicles that shouldn't be on the road. Until your trucking industry gets rid of the idiots, you will all be branded the same.

Apologies to the majority of hard working drivers, but it is an industry problem that needs to be fixed.

Skull

AnswerID: 520693

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 22:42

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013 at 22:42
I sort of agree, but would the same apply to a train approaching a level crossing? The train expects to have right of way, so doesn't slow down. Similarly, the road train has right of way, and shouldn't have to slow right down every time a crazy Prado driver mightn't give way. Same as on a one lane track, the truck stays centre and cars give way.

Rule 1 is give way to road trains. The Prado just learned the hard way.

Bob
AnswerID: 520700

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 11:15

Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 11:15
I always work on the "might is right" principle. Even if a truckie is in the wrong, and driving too hard and fast (as most do - they gotta be somewhere else, real quick) - I worked out long ago who's gonna come off worst, when you have a physical argument between a truck and a car!
FollowupID: 801192

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 11:54

Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 11:54
For someone who doesn't know the facts you're mighty quick with the finger waving Bob.
FollowupID: 801194

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 22:14

Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 22:14
That's right Bob,

Kill some one with your attitude and get free room and food for a long time. You might even meet a few other truckies in there who get lonely at night.

:)
FollowupID: 801241

Reply By: Member - Matt M - Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 10:26

Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 10:26
Amazing the number of people (including on ExplorOz) who blank their number plates out on photos of their vehicle for privacy reasons, yet quite happy to plaster someone else's details as widely as possible.

Matt.
AnswerID: 520714

Reply By: tim_c - Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 10:31

Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 10:31
I reckon with a bit more speed, that Prado could have made it all the way past - it only stopped due to a lack of momentum! ;-)
AnswerID: 520715

Sponsored Links