RACQ Insurance claim

Submitted: Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 11:36
ThreadID: 104954 Views:2653 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning all
Had some fun with the big winds of a week or so ago. Whilst driving, our awning decided to become a wind funnel. Result one very badly damaged awning and frame. I had toggles on to help keep the arms secure.
We were driving into a head wind that was reputed to be gusting between 80 to 100km per hour. Lousy fuel consumption and about 20km from Coolah NSW.
Phoned the RACQ told them the problem and said I believed I could make it to the Gold Coast (where we had a house sitting job), they accepted the claim and gave me their repairers name The Caravan Repair Co at Burleigh.
I contacted Shane on the following Monday and organised to take the van in. He organised a quote and stored the van. The RACQ phoned to see if I had arrived at the Coast safely and two days later phoned to say the quote was accepted.
Then a problem occurred where a manufacturer decides to alter the specifications of their product. In this case they have reduced the pull out size of the awning. Now our annex sides will no longer fit. Read the wording of the policy and RACQ have done everything they can/should.
Praise for RACQ and for the Caravan Repair Co (Shane). But in the next few months I'm going to have to satisfy "she who will be obeyed"when she goes crook about an annex that is not very old that no longer fits. Hopefully we will have lots of fine weather where an annex isn't needed.
Stay well and stay safe
Peter M Qld
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 20:39

Friday, Nov 01, 2013 at 20:39
Hi Peter. You don't say where the reduction is but if it is in the length of the fabric as it unrolls from the drum,(which is actually the width of the awning) then there are annex manufacturers down our way that custom make the awning size. I presume you would have the same up there,surely. Why the awning maker has changed it is another question. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 520738

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Saturday, Nov 02, 2013 at 06:53

Saturday, Nov 02, 2013 at 06:53
The annex was custom made when we purchased the van four years ago. The annex is included in the insurance policy as a separate item.
The repairer said the side panels will be too long for the new awning by about six inches.
When we get home next April we will go to the bloke who made it and see if he can take it in a bit.
Regards
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 801247

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Nov 02, 2013 at 12:17

Saturday, Nov 02, 2013 at 12:17
Why can't they get a custom awning made to the original size now though. Then you would not have to worry or pay to have your annex walls modified. Bob
FollowupID: 801260

Sponsored Links