Comment: EOTopo

Submitted: Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 15:58
ThreadID: 104984 Views:1481 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
EOTopo Reviews & Discussions system is the place to come and ask your question and provide feedback for the future development of the product.

EOTopo is a collaborative effort and with your assistance and feedback we will be able to make the product even better and with the lifetime upgrade option you will always be able to benefit from the input provided.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 18:42

Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 18:42
Thanks David & Michelle, will post all comments there in future.
Looking forward to the new map release for Android phones. Cheers
AnswerID: 520858

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 06:22

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 06:22
David & Michelle,

The EOTopo mapping sounds great especially given that it will tie in with trek notes. I know it is not coatia to bag or talk about other products but there is now a lot of them out there such as Hema maps, mud maps etct but how do you think this product will compare with GPS Oztopo mapping in detail as it is also available in the mini SD format?

Regards Will
AnswerID: 520919

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:22

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:22
Will,

As far as I am aware OZTopo is for Garmin GPS units and works in a propriety vector fashion. Our maps are not targeted to the Garmin units and will work with a wealth of other mapping programs like OziExplorer, TrackRanger, MemoryMap etc.

So it is a little hard to compare these products as they are targeted differently and priced differently. The 16GB mSD with OZTopo is $279 ours is $99 but again this is not relevant except for the cost of the 16GB mSD card. If we took this out we could drop $20 off the product straight away however it is the best method to release the data and allowed us to provide 14GB of map data on one media device.

I expect our difference to the suppliers out there is that we already have the online database and update methodologies in place, now we have worked out how to produce the product from our databases we can focus on the updates and on-going product development taking input from the users directly and in the open. I know the product can be better already there are heaps of things we can do but I had to draw a line in the sand and release something else it would be sitting on my workstation for another few years as a dream. I will harp on it again and again that we want a collaborative product that is built by all of us that want the best outback mapping product we can get.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 801547

Reply By: Andrew D. - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 09:11

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 09:11
Like to know before shell out the money how much updated it is from the 1:250k Geoscience Topo. Are the roads that are bitumen been seriously updated in all states. What are the major updates to the EOTopo?

Not impressed with the Hema effort on mapping. Some outback regions are good, however the rest is on par with 2008 1:250k Geoscience topo.

Pretty crook you cannot get quality all states up to date mapping in Australia. When on tour in central Africa last year mapping was better quality and accuracy than Australia. Surprised us the quality and how up to date the mapping was.
AnswerID: 520930

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:05

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:05
Andrew,
As per the Technical Documents information on the page - this version is heavily based on 100 & 250K Geoscience. We have added additional outback roads data but have not yet finished the conflation process on adding metro and major roads updates. Have a read on the Technical Page as this talks more about the data.

As you mention HEMA and others not much difference than 2008 250K that is because that is all there is. There are no other data sets available in Australia and this is why we have decided to work so heavily on the task using the millions of kilometres of roads and tracks data that has been supplied in our Treks & User Treks system to update the roads networks. It is however a massive task. I have been working for over 3 weeks just trying to sort out the process of major roads updates in and around Perth. Once the process is sorted it will be easier but the task to update the entire country is massive and very time consuming. So we have released EOTopo 200K to gauge interest and see if the 200K, 200dpi resolution is most suitable to users before we lock down the resolution and scale for the future updates.

We have also been thinking of working in a fashion very similar to OpenStreetMap where users will be able to come along and submit a road update directly to the map.

You are right it is crook and GeoScience (Government) have dropped the ball on this completely so it is up to private business to provide this product and service. So having been involved in mapping and the outback for over 14 years and having a wealth of data available we decided that we should have a go. Coupled with our understanding of running online database update systems we reckon we are very well placed to not only release but to ensure the on-going updates to the base product for many years to come.

I hope this helps
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 801546

Sponsored Links