Bathurst to Ilford

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 21:04
ThreadID: 105002 Views:3833 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, would appreciate comments of the road conditions between Bathurst to Ilford. Am towing a caravan and just wondering if the road is windy or very hilly?
Have also heard about the camp spot at Sofala and if anyone has stayed there would be great to hear some feedback. many thanks...Cheers..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 22:27

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 22:27
Hullo Con
The short answer is that parts of the road are steep (up and down) windy and narrow. Having said that, if driven sensibly with a reasonably powerful tow vehicle it should not present a problem. The camp site at Sofala that I looked at is ~7 km east and is OK. Quite popular though, particularly at w/e.
I drove it last week heading south with a 7.3 L turbo F250 with an exhaust brake and van weighing 8 tonnes all up. Used low gear up and down on the steep hills.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 520914

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 01:29

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 01:29
The hills are not very steep as far as things go. It is no where as steep as say the Bell's Line of Road or Cunninghams Gap. The speed limiting on hills is more of the result of the curves. The road is a full sealed two lanes wide the whole way.

I have towed a van over there many times.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520918

Reply By: Con_Qld - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 21:53

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 21:53
Thanks all, I came thru to Bylong today and yes it is steep and windy - but drove all the way very slow and carefully. The Landcruiser 1HZ really worked hard!
Thanks again..
AnswerID: 520992

Sponsored Links