Jayco cupboards

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 23:24
ThreadID: 105007 Views:6474 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have been told that the coverings on the cupboards in the later model Jayco pop tops is a paper like material. And also that if a drink or similar is spilt on them and left it will swell.

Can people with vans like the Discovery Outback, Sterling etc please tell me if this is the case? And also what the cupboards are made from. Also any other advice on the Jayco's from about 2008 onwards?

I would go and have a look myself but unfortunately the nearest dealer is about 300km's away.

Cheers,
Jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 00:23

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 00:23
A lot of van makers use chip board, MDF or similar products in their furniture. Some detractors refer to these materials as "like cardboard." These materials are not that bad.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520916

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:32

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:32
I disagree Peter.

Chipboard in particular is not really suitable for cupboards in a caravan, or camper, or for that matter, practically anything else.
MDF is heavier and not a lot more durable.

Marine ply was a good choice before plastics and fibreglass came along and is still preferred by some discerning manufacturers.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 801514

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:57

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:57
Bill, it's not whether you agree with chipboard being suitable for vans or not. It has been and still is being used a little in van building, unfortunately. There is also too much MDF being used in van building in my view but it is still being used.

It does not matter what our view on the suitability of these materials is for van building. These and similar materials are being used. However you are taking us off topic introducing your views on sutiability.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 801517

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 10:20

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 10:20
Peter,

Simply replying to your statement "these materials are not that bad"
I'll not bother wasting my time debating the issue with you further.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 801534

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 11:31

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 11:31
They do not disintegrate like cardboard. Pure and simple. That's what I was commenting on.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 801538

Reply By: Member - Wayne B - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:58

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:58
Hey Jon
We have a Jayco Discovery Outback
We haven't had any problems with the cupboards or table due to water spillage
Had it since 2010, great van
Regards Wayne
AnswerID: 520923

Reply By: Slow one - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 08:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 08:00
Jon,
both my past and new van are all plywood. One a coronal and the other a Billabong.

If you want to have a look for yourself, shtick your head into the cupboards and out of the way places. You will soon see what material they have used.

Much of the coverings on van substrates is a very thin plastic coat that can be damaged easily. It also doesn't like damp. A bit of water won't worry it, but if left wet it will discolour and if rubbed will fall off.

As for Jayco's I can't comment as I have not owned one. Friend has a pop top and is happy with it (2002), he also said he is going to buy a new one. Then on the other side of the coin another friend bought a new one and had quite a few warranty issues. All fixed with no problems by Jayco.

They have sold that van which is about 18 months old and bought another brand. I don't know the reason though.
AnswerID: 520924

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 08:56

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 08:56
We have a Jayco Penguin 2003 model and the covering on the timber is indeed a very thin paper that looks like woodgrain. If it gets wet, it rubs off, if you stick a hook on with double-sided tape, the hook will fall off and take the paper covering off. If you put masking tape on the "timberwork" (as I did when repainting the ceiling), the paper cover will tear off when you remove the masking tape. If the underlying chipboard gets wet, it will swell and start to disintegrate. If you clean the "timberwork" with spray-and-wipe and leave it to soak for more than a few seconds, the paper covering will wipe off!! Is it suitable for a camper-trailer?? In my opinion, no, but Jayco vans are built to a price, and you get what you pay for!! Having vented that, we are, overall, happy with our van. However, I would never attempt a creek crossing where the water got up to the bottom of the van - it would be disasterous!
FollowupID: 801523

Reply By: Andrew D. - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 08:55

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 08:55
"I have been told that the coverings on the cupboards in the later model Jayco pop tops is a paper like material. And also that if a drink or similar is spilt on them and left it will swell."
That is incorrect. Shouted my friend Steve camped here with me 45 years in Melbourne in caravan repair business retired last month. Steve says he hasn't seen chipboard used in caravans over 25 year. Steve says the Jayco cupboards and wood material has been waterproof for 15+ years longer than he can remember. Steve says Jayco are hard to go past today. Steve in particular says he likes the Jayco Starcraft.
AnswerID: 520928

Follow Up By: snow - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 10:05

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 10:05
Is Steve on commission or flat rate?

said in jest of course
FollowupID: 801531

Reply By: Skulldug - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:23

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:23
jmharris,

I owned a 2004 Jayco Freedom Outback until around a year ago. It was the first model to use the paper-like laminate on MDF. The new ones use the same material. The van did a fair bit of work and the cupboards were like new when I sold it.

It is only the cupboards that are made like this, the bench tops are made of laminex like any other van so there shouldn't be any problems with spilled drinks unless you have a new years eve party inside and don't wake up for three days. Not saying it can't happen though.

Overall, Jaycos are light and value for money relative to others. They do however lack the solid, quality feel of the better quality vans.

I'm sure if you went down to the nearest caravan park and walked around with a cup of tea, you would find several Jayco owners who were happy to show you their vans.

Cheers

Skull
AnswerID: 520957

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:46

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 16:46
We have a 2004 Jayco 18ft freedom poptop and have not had a problem with the cupboards. After purchase I went through all cupboards and checked the screws and fittings then upgraded where I thought was required (we do a lot of dirt roads) and so far all good. As we have single beds I installed additional drawers under the beds and had a lot of difficulty matching the wood grain but managed it after a lot of effort.
All in all we are happy with the van.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520959

Reply By: SDG - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 18:57

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 18:57
I have a 2013 Swift Outback. Appears to be laminate bench tops, with what looks to be the same material as my household kitchen cupboards for the internals.
No problems with travelling up North early this year with two kids, which included the Oodnadatta.

So far the only issue i'm planning on fixing, is the security. My door key, to date, has opened 7 other vans. Found this out by clowning around with a mate who was travelling with us. My key opened his door which was several years older. Over time I have tried other vans in the sales yards.
Obviously only several different key cuttings were made
AnswerID: 520972

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 12:09

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 12:09
Hi Jon,
I have a 2006 Jayco Sterling and have done a few modifications to it such as adding solar, a diesel heater and several cig socket outlets most of which required drilling a hole somewhere or other in the vehicle.

The dividing walls are made of plywood as are the cupboards from what I can see. I have not found any craft wood (MDF) so far.

The woodgrain throughout is a paper veneer but this is not an issue if you are aware of it and treat it accordingly. No harsh cleaning chemicals, just a damp cloth and perhaps a mild soap.

All the bench tops are plywood and laminex or such like material.

You will find that the paper veneer has been used extensively for decades in the industry, in one form or another, and looks like continuing into the future.

Most everybody I know with a Jayco are very pleased with their purchase as you get a lot of van for the money.

Mind you they are no Bushtracker or Kedron, but then they are priced accordingly also.

As I tell most people who have just bought a Jayco "You will get some silly small problems develop, I guess it is the same with any make, but once you iron those out you will have a good van on your hands for the money".

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521028

Sponsored Links